• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trust and Interference

Mr. Scot

Read between the lines

That's fine, except it's becoming more and more clear he wasn't happy here. He won't outright say it, but it seems he was tired of having his defense dictated from above.

In each of the last two seasons, head coach John Fox started showing more influence in Trgovac’s defensive meetings, doing so four games into 2007 and around midseason last year.

Asked directly if that interference (or collaboration, depending on your perspective) was a factor in his decision to leave, Trgovac backed away gently from the question.

Whatever you think of Trgovac the DC, I'm gaining respect for Trgovac the person. It's classy that he doesn't want to rip his former employers on his way out of town.

On topic, if Gantt's theory is to be believed (and it's reasonable) we have a bit of a quandary.

The next DC hire could be someone in whom Fox has enough faith that he'd be willing to allow him to run the defense without interference.

OR...

It could be someone that's amenable to Fox having his say and just "doing what he's told" when it comes to how the defense is run.

People will point to Fox's interference with Trgovac as evidence of the second. Aaahhh, but not so fast. If there was a trust problem, that being that Fox though Trgovac was okay overall but still needed oversight, then it's not so cut and dry. Add in that Trgovac had been DC here for a long time, and these incidents only occurred in the past two seasons.

There's also evidence that in the other coordinator spot, Fox is giving more latitude to Jeff Davidson. The offense by season's end was a well-oiled machine under Davidson's guidance. And that new QB coach? No connection to Fox, but the only guy interviewed and, shortly thereafter, hired. Whose word was Fox taking on that one?

Bottom line: When it comes to hiring the next DC, Fox could hire a guy he trusts and leave him alone or he could hire a stooge/yes man/puppet that will work in the shadow of Fox's "defensive genius".

So the question(s)...

Which path would you prefer he take?

Which path do you believe he will take?

Is John Fox actually Al Davis in disguise?

I think this is just more speculation bullshit from Gantt. No wonder it got bumped from print.

“I don’t want to get into that,” he said politely. “The day-to-day stuff of what went on in our meetings or practices or whatever, I’d rather not get into it. It’s over, and I think it’s going to be best for me and best for John just to get a fresh start.

“I cherish my time there, and I learned a lot of football from a lot of people, and it’s such a great place that it’s hard to leave.”

I think this is just more speculation bullsh*t from Gantt. No wonder it got bumped from print.

That's just your opinion. Clearly Trgo was dancing around the question.. Speculation, perhaps. But it's not without reason.

I think this is just more speculation bullsh*t from Gantt. No wonder it got bumped from print.

Realistically though, it wouldn't have been all that difficult to just say "no, that had nothing to do with it".

I asked elsewhere: How would most of us feel if our boss was constantly looking over our shoulder or "helping" us as we tried to work?

That's just your opinion. Clearly Trgo was dancing around the question.. Speculation, perhaps. But it's not without reason.

who in this organization hasn't danced around a question they have gotten.

I like Gantt but some times, he just tries to start some poo like Pacman, on Friday I was listening the Prime time with the Pacman on WFNZ when he was starting to start a uproar over the defensive staff leaving, and was suggesting they were all jumping ship because the Panthers were sinking, but I sent him a e-mail with an article from Gantt that suggested that some of the staff may have been fired, and he replied to my e-mail thanking me for pointing out the article to him, but it never made his show, why? because he didn't care what the truth was he was just trying to start some poo to drive up ratings.

Don't think Gantt won't do the same thing.

Personally I don't know why all of a sudden you guy's care why trgovac left, you all wanted him out of here, now he's gone, but now you care why he left because he wasn't fired??

IMO that's some BS, you got what you wanted so quit complaining about why it happened.

You make a very good point. Fox wasn't interfering in 2005 and 2006 when the defense was top 10. Only last year and this when it was around 20th out of 32 teams. This year it was even worse if you look at the last half of the season. To go from 3rd to 18th over half a dozen games you need to be one of the worse teams in the league over that stretch.

Anyone think the defense even played decent over that stretch??

I want Fox to get someone he has trust in who can add to Fox's knowledge and be an asset to the team rather than a yes man or Fox clone. I want an aggressive coach with a great idea of how to confuse defenses and come with multiple looks. I want someone who has a simple scheme to learn that is confusing to the opposition. Kind of like Philly, the Giants or Minnesota who all run a 4-3 set. I want a secondary that is aggressive to the ball and plays tough man coverage. I am tired of zone blitzes and passive zones where we get no pressure on the quarterback That kind of blitzing works well in a 3-4 but not as much in a 4-3 unless you get quick pressure and bump the receivers off the line so they can't instantly find the just vacated zone from where the blitz is coming. Since you only have 3 linebackers and are blitzing one, you always have a vacant area which is easy to exploit. Especially if the offense stretches you out with a multiple receiver set.

I want a coordinator who is emotional, fiery and gets in people's faces. I want a man who doesn't look at things like an ofensive guy as all X's and O's. I want a guy who can rally the troops and get them to play with unbridled enthusiasm and effort. I want a Del Rio in the making. If we keep him for a few years and lose him to a head coaching gig, so be it. We need a leader on defense on the sidelines as well. Someone Fox won't want to mess with.

Who is this guy? Don't know yet but I will when I see him. He surely isn't a Trgovac who could even make a lateral move this year, he got a demotion and was happy to land on his feet at all.

who in this organization hasn't danced around a question they have gotten.

I like Gantt but some times, he just tries to start some sh*t like Pacman, on Friday I was listening the Prime time with the Pacman on WFNZ when he was starting to start a uproar over the defensive staff leaving, and was suggesting they were all jumping ship because the Panthers were sinking, but I sent him a e-mail with an article from Gantt that suggested that some of the staff may have been fired, and he replied to my e-mail thanking me for pointing out the article to him, but it never made his show, why? because he didn't care what the truth was he was just trying to start some sh*t to drive up ratings.

Don't think Gantt won't do the same thing.

Personally I don't know why all of a sudden you guy's care why trgovac left, you all wanted him out of here, now he's gone, but now you care why he left because he wasn't fired??

IMO that's some BS, you got what you wanted so quit complaining about why it happened.

Writers do write to get attention. And Pacman may do just as you say.

As Mr Scot says, all Trgo had to say was "No, that wasn't the issue at all." You can easily see him step into the question, and just as quickly back out by saying,

“I don’t want to get into that,” he said politely. “The day-to-day stuff of what went on in our meetings or practices or whatever, I’d rather not get into it. It’s over, and I think it’s going to be best for me and best for John just to get a fresh start.

Perhaps you can read a bit much into that. But why say all that when all he has to say is, "no, that wasn't the case. I had a great time here. John is a great guy and football coach."

I'm not saying at all that it isn't easy to read too much into that statement. But I don't see how Gantt is the bad guy here, because he's not posting this without reason.

I only see people attacking Gantt who have an issue with Gantt before this posted. I never see much where he posts things just to get things stirred up. He is usually one of few that I trust his work.

And one last thing, a few people may be curious why Trgo didn't come back. But very few are mad he didn't stay. I think there's a difference in being mad he didn't stay and curious why he didn't stay.

It's kind of like that girl you were about to break up with, but just before ya did it she broke up with you. You're not mad, you're just curious. =P

Realistically though, it wouldn't have been all that difficult to just say "no, that had nothing to do with it".

I asked elsewhere: How would most of us feel if our boss was constantly looking over our shoulder or "helping" us as we tried to work?

As someone who had a boss did that, it's not something that they just start doing or do with just you, they do that with everyone.

In the NFL I would think that this would be something that would come with the territory especially if you are a DC with the HC being a very good former DC himself, both they're heads are on the chopping block if something goes wrong, and if the defense isn't preforming up to you expectations as the HC wouldn't you start having a say in the Defenses game planing.

Why wouldn't he back away from it, making it seem like he's actually a good coach?

I would do that too if I was as bad as him.

As someone who had a boss did that, it's not something that they just start doing or do with just you, they do that with everyone.

In the NFL I would think that this would be something that would come with the territory especially if you are a DC with the HC being a very good former DC himself, both they're heads are on the chopping block if something goes wrong, and if the defense isn't preforming up to you expectations as the HC wouldn't you start having a say in the Defenses game planing.

I agree. I can't see how that isn't the case when the defense isn't living up to expectations. This defense has so much talent. However, I'm starting to think our front 4 is killing the scheme they are running. Get more pressure on the QB and the back 7 can do their job more effectively.

Whatever you think of Trgovac the DC, I'm gaining respect for Trgovac the person. It's classy that he doesn't want to rip his former employers on his way out of town.

Classy yes, but also smart. Bad talking a former team is a sure fire way to get every NFL front office to think twice about hiring you.

I think it's possible that Trgo has ambitions of being a HC and didn't think he'd ever get a shot if everyone knew he was being micro manged by Fox.

There are teams in the league where the head coach runs and calls all the offensive plays. I don't hear Sean Payton being called manipulative to the Saints' OC or the OC having a problem with it.

Archived