• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

~ 2011 College Draft Prospects ~

HeatCheck

I think it would be tough to get barnes at No. 10 (most likely draft position if we don't make playoffs) unless we traded another pick with it or a player. So, if we really want a SF to replace jax we could go with Kawhi Leonard...

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kawhi-Leonard-5821/

March 18, 2010

Matthew Kamalsky

After a slow start, Kawhi Leonard has emerged as a legitimate draft prospect as of late–an impressive accomplishment for an 18-year old who came to San Diego without a defined position. Garnering the MWC’s Freshman of the Year Award before earning MVP honors as the Aztecs won the MWC tournament, Leonard has caught the attention of the national media and NBA decision-makers alike with his inspired play late in the year.

A consensus top-60 recruit according to RSCI, Leonard is a unique talent benefitting from a situation that has given him the opportunity to expand his game, maximize his current skill set, and play a key role on a team bound for a NCAA tournament matchup with Tennessee this Thursday. Reaping the benefits of opting for a mid-major over a perennial powerhouse, Leonard has been one of the most productive freshmen in the country.

A great deal of Leonard’s success, and much of the attention he’s receiving from the next level, can be attributed to his impressive physical profile and high energy level. Standing 6’7 with a huge wingspan and adequate physical strength for a wing, Leonard is not the most fluid player around, but there’s an effortlessness with which he moves in the open floor that is impressive to say the least.

Showing impressive leaping ability when he can gather himself or has a head of steam in transition, Leonard will need to continue to develop his polish and overall strength to add a degree of explosiveness to his offensive repertoire.

Assertive and extremely active in half-court sets, Leonard’s athleticism manifests itself most frequently on dribble drives to the mid-post and cuts to the basket. The California native likes to attack defenders off the dribble, using his solid first step and long strides to create short-range scoring opportunities.

He also shows a knack for being in the right place at the right time on his cuts, showing a good understanding of when to go backdoor and how to create angles for his teammates to hit him for easy looks. Though Leonard converts from the paint at a very respectable rate thanks to his ability to get his shot off over defenders, he’s capable of being more effective.

Often opting for difficult floaters from the mid-post instead of creating contact and getting to the line, Leonard is able to get by on his explosiveness and length on the college level. His lack of advanced ball handling ability makes it difficult for him to create clean looks for himself at the rim, despite his aptitude for protecting the ball, lowering his shoulder, and positioning himself effectively for his runner.

More than capable of getting creative to finish and able to hit contested, off-balance jumpers, Leonard needs to improve his ball-handling skills and hone his ability to stop-and-pop off of one or more dribbles, as his current repertoire won’t be as efficient against NBA caliber help defenders.

Although Leonard’s habit of attempting difficult shots around the rim may be problematic at times, he compensates for it by regularly rebounding his own missed shots. Ranking amongst the top-20 pace adjusted offensive rebounders in our database, his length and ability to create shots within eight feet of the rim allow him to use his impressive second bounce to clean up his own misses.

Though much of his offense comes in or around the key, Leonard will also step out to the perimeter for some spot up opportunities, flashing his biggest weakness in the process. Able to make an impact with his pull-up jumper by virtue of his ability to get deep into the lane and elevate, Leonard’s mechanics are exposed when he opts to catch and shoot.

Showing a very slow, methodical release that lacks elevation, Leonard connects on roughly 25% of his catch and shoot opportunities according to Synergy Sports Technology. On film, it is clear that he struggles when he does have ample time and space, as his sub-20% three point percentage indicates.

Overall, Leonard’s offensive game remains a big work in progress. Leading his team in scoring, his natural ability to get inside with his dribble is intriguing, but he’ll need to make some adjustments to be as effective on the next level.

One of those adjustments will be developing his jumper, as his lack of perimeter polish and impact make him look much more like an undersized four at the moment than a legit small forward prospect. Wherever Leonard is next season, it will be important for him to take the time to become a reliable outside threat, as that will compliment the other things he already does well.

On the defensive end, Leonard uses his length and athleticism to actively pursue the ball off the rim. Prone to leaving his man to chase both rebounds and blocked shots, Leonard could stand to improve his fundamentals, though his current mentality will definitely serve him well in the long-run.

His length allows him to contest shots from the perimeter effectively, but he doesn’t do a great job leaving a cushion to deny dribble penetration and is prone to over-committing when defending off the ball, showing a lack of focus at times in the process. Leonard has some brilliant defensive possessions, but needs the right coach to correct his mistakes and motivate him to reach his potential as a stopper.

Looking at his body of work this season, Leonard is one of the most interesting players in the freshman class. He’ll test out as a great athlete and physical specimen whenever he declares, but his athleticism didn’t translate as completely this season as it could down the road.

With some good offensive and defensive habits, Leonard is stuck between positions in terms of the tools he currently possesses, but is the type of project that could pay off for a team able to dedicate significant time and resources to his development. Regardless, Leonard is a developing player who is worth keeping tabs on as he continues to grow.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kawhi-Leonard-5821/#ixzz1IDf3KsS5

http://www.draftexpress.com

I'm not a fan of Terrence Jones. It's not that he's not a good player but he acts like he is better than he is. Being a Florida fan I got to see a lot of him this year. He is physically gifted but also can lean on that too much. His shot selection can be shoddy sometimes because he just relies on his athleticism too often.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah just got done watching video of Bismack Biyambo. He's an athletic freak. I would compare his game (not necessarily his stature) to DeAndre Jordan. He has a great wingspan that allows him to make up for his 6'9" height. His only downside is his offense. His offensive repertoire to me looks like it's based of his athleticism. From the vids I've seen he's scoring with dunks. He's definitely a defensive player but could develop a down low game. His athleticism is really nice though. Maybe with our second pick we can snag him.

Just taking this from another thread. If we go big maybe we look to him, he's getting a lot of hype lately.

• 1 month later...

What I'm wanting is a scorer, I think Jimmer would be an amazing fit here and he's another guy that everyone knows and has a lot of fans of. Charlotte would get a lot more attention if we had two of the biggest college athletes from this past year in the same cities as rookie. I would like Jimmer with the first pick then one of the Morris brothers or Bismack Biyombo at 18. Also I wouldn't rule out Alec Burks as a possibility at 9 he is very versatile and has great size for a 2, might could develop him into a solid 3 too.

What if we get the first pick, do we go Kyrie Irving (maybe like a Derek Rose situation) or Derrick Williams? Now the chances are slim to none but the Bulls did it just a few years ago. It would be great if the balls would at least bounce our way in to the top5, just a little higher....have we ever gotten higher than we were supposed to?

Only Player worth moving up in the draft for this year would be Kemba. That is only if our plans are to trade DJ. I don't really understand the hype over Kyrie.

We just need to use this draft to get some guys to give us some depth and hope at least one pans out to be a reliable player. I don't really care if the player turns into a great 6th man or a starter. If we don't make any trades and wind up with the 9th pick or so, I would like to have Kawhi Leonard fall to us.

Next year is when all of this will really start to matter.

Players I would like at 9

1. Kemba Walker

2. Alec Burks

I would be OK with Kawhi Leonard

Players I would like at 19

1. Jordan Hamilton

2. Bismack Biyombo (though I feel he might fall further than this)

I would be OK with Josh Selby

As far as our second round pick I think we should try to get Marshon Brooks or Chandler Parsons

Remember the bcats second draft, when we had two firsts and took felton and may. Everyone regrets now that we didn't trade those two picks to move up and take Paul or Williams. We are in a similar position now. We should learn from the past and try and move up. eitehr package both picks to move up (after lottery is set) or trade a player and a pick to move up. We need big time help, and Id rather have one sure thing than two average players.

Remember the bcats second draft, when we had two firsts and took felton and may. Everyone regrets now that we didn't trade those two picks to move up and take Paul or Williams. We are in a similar position now. We should learn from the past and try and move up. eitehr package both picks to move up (after lottery is set) or trade a player and a pick to move up. We need big time help, and Id rather have one sure thing than two average players.

I don't think we could move up to get an elite talent packaging the 9th and 19th pick. The year we had Felton and May we picked 5th and 13th... both lottery selections. With this draft class being one of the weakest in recent memory, you got to wait to see how the cards play out and how far some of these guys slide, before you pull the trigger on a trade.

Archived