• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFC Scout on Gabbert

unicar15

Anyone who thinks Pike is a better QB than Gabbert is a fucking retard.

I meant "right now"...

They practically played in the same offensive sets at college, and Pike has a little bit of pro experience...

That isn't to say Gabbert can't be better than him by any means, but as of right now, Gabbert is less valuable to the Panthers than Pike is... and most certainly not worth the #1 overall pick...

Sounds like Clausen v.2 to me

yeah, except for the things that make Clausen Clausen. :rolleyes:

If you want me to I can link things where scouts say how good he'll be too, but I'll say this:

His stats weren't as good this year as his previous, but he improved on areas he was weak on last year. Also, you have to look beyond his TD/Ints. He threw a ton of times a game, spread the ball around, moved his offense pretty well.

He is tough, smart, and a leader. His offense only reads half the field, which is a problem, but he has a good arm and he is always looking for plays down field. He needs to be coached up, but he already has experience putting an offense on his arm and throwing it down the field 30 or more times a game. He has a good arm and good accuracy, able to fit the ball into tight windows. He has decent but not excellent footwork and he can escape pressure. When he does, he still has the ability to throw accurately on the run. Overall, he needs to learn to take care of the ball a bit and read the full field.

He is nothing like Clausen and the comparisons are insane. Same with Pike.

He may not be worth the #1 but he is going to go in or near the top 5. If we trade down he could become a target. With a good combine, he stock could explode in no small part due to the fact he's the only QB and he also has some great NFL measurables for a QB.

yeah, except for the things that make Clausen Clausen. :rolleyes:

If you want me to I can link things where scouts say how good he'll be too, but I'll say this:

His stats weren't as good this year as his previous, but he improved on areas he was weak on last year. Also, you have to look beyond his TD/Ints. He threw a ton of times a game, spread the ball around, moved his offense pretty well.

He is tough, smart, and a leader. His offense only reads half the field, which is a problem, but he has a good arm and he is always looking for plays down field. He needs to be coached up, but he already has experience putting an offense on his arm and throwing it down the field 30 or more times a game. He has a good arm and good accuracy, able to fit the ball into tight windows. He has decent but not excellent footwork and he can escape pressure. When he does, he still has the ability to throw accurately on the run. Overall, he needs to learn to take care of the ball a bit and read the full field.

He is nothing like Clausen and the comparisons are insane. Same with Pike.

He may not be worth the #1 but he is going to go in or near the top 5. If we trade down he could become a target. With a good combine, he stock could explode in no small part due to the fact he's the only QB and he also has some great NFL measurables for a QB.

the ONLY reason he and Newton and Mallett will go anywhere near the top 10 is you have teams desperate to get QB's to shut their fanbase up. All will be reaching and pay dearly for wasting a draft pick that high, but to most teams as long as it puts more butts in the seats, that is all they are worried about.

the ONLY reason he and Newton and Mallett will go anywhere near the top 10 is you have teams desperate to get QB's to shut their fanbase up. All will be reaching and pay dearly for wasting a draft pick that high, but to most teams as long as it puts more butts in the seats, that is all they are worried about.

You're so matter-of-fact

I think that Gabbert is as pro-ready as any spread QB recently. His size and style are not like most spread QBs in college in that most of those guys are looking for the run option. If there is such a thing as a "pro spread" then that is the type of QB I would classify Gabbert as. Personally, I like him and IMO if he is a QB worth taking at #5 then he is a QB worth taking at #1. Either way hes the #1 ranked QB and that is a huge need for us. I don't want to look back at this draft and think that another great QB got away b/c of bad scouting or us being too scared to pull the trigger at #1.

It also helps that he compared him to Roethlisberger and Freeman. If we pass on this kid in order to give Clausen the job for one more year I have a feeling we are going to be sorry...unless we are in position to get Luck next year.

From what I've seen of Gabbert, we've already got in Clausen. Pass

I meant "right now"...

They practically played in the same offensive sets at college, and Pike has a little bit of pro experience...

That isn't to say Gabbert can't be better than him by any means, but as of right now, Gabbert is less valuable to the Panthers than Pike is... and most certainly not worth the #1 overall pick...

experience isn't all that matters. Pike has a noodle for an arm. Gabbert... does not. They did not play in identical offenses either.

I don't know why you think Gabbert is a reach. He has been one of the top quarterbacks all year, but nobody thought he was going to declare. He has been a prospect since high school and has done very well overall. He has show significant improvement, keeps his off field stuff in order, is coachable, has good mechanics and tools... He is not a statue like Mallett and does not have the character questions.

Other threads are for Newton, so won't go into that here.

From what I've seen of Gabbert, we've already got in Clausen. Pass

Which part? The 6'5" frame? The rarely-batted balls? The cannon of an arm that can and does go down field regularly? The leadership ability? The confidence? The throwing motion? How about his release point?

Oh right, none of that poo. All we have with Clausen is pedigree and hope he turns out better because our offense was so abysmal last year passing there is no place he can go but up...

Which part? The 6'5" frame? The rarely-batted balls? The cannon of an arm that can and does go down field regularly? The leadership ability? The confidence? The throwing motion? How about his release point?

Slow wind up. Too long with his reads. Lofts long balls. Can't play action to save his life. Quick to scramble out of pocket.

Clausen. Pass

I meant "right now"...

I wouldn't take Gabbert #1 overall, but I wouldn't take any QB in this draft at that spot either. He's still the best QB prospect in this draft. He's the size of a DE with slightly better speed and a huge arm. I wouldn't put too much into the system he ran in college; Gary Pinkel is one of the dumbest coaches in all of football.

And the only reason Tony Pike is still on this team is because he was less expensive to keep than Hunter Cantwell.

Slow wind up. Too long with his reads. Lofts long balls. Can't play action to save his life. Quick to scramble out of pocket.

Clausen. Pass

I don't know where you are getting "Slow wind up" or that his reads are particularly slow since the ball is out of his hands a couple seconds after the snap most of the time you watch him play. He scrambles out of the pocket when it's breaking down, he can also stand in and make throws while taking hits. He needs to work on stepping UP in the pocket, though. Play action is something he can learn - the offense he runs isn't exactly built around it and it is likely a skill he doesn't use very often.

He's no Luck and he won't go #1, but he's someone to keep our eyes on. He is a significant upgrade over Clausen (at least of last year), and if we have a staff that can turn Clausen of last year into a real quarterback I can't imagine what they could do with someone who has the measurables, mechanics, and tools to actually excel at the next level.

I wouldn't take Gabbert #1 overall, but I wouldn't take any QB in this draft at that spot either. He's still the best QB prospect in this draft. He's the size of a DE with slightly better speed and a huge arm. I wouldn't put too much into the system he ran in college; Gary Pinkel is one of the dumbest coaches in all of football.

And the only reason Tony Pike is still on this team is because he was less expensive to keep than Hunter Cantwell.

I can agree with most of this... especially the part about him being the best QB prospect...

But, that doesn't say a lot for this QB class in my opinion...

I agree about Pike, too...

Gabbert's flaws can all be corrected with coaching....Clausen's can't. That's one huge difference I see right there. Gabbert gives any coach he's playing for a ton to work with and develop. There's not a coach in the world that can coach some ability into Jim. No offense intended to him.

Archived