• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Spring Exhibition Games?

Jangler

I know this is old. But when it was talked about in October, no one really paid much attention to it. So here we are getting close to spring and I thought now would be a good time to revisit the subject. Plus it's something else to talk about, instead of Peppers and Fox, while we are waiting for any news.

So whatcha think? Good idea or bad??

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/124747

The WASHINGTON POST's Maske reported the "possibility of each team playing an exhibition game in the spring" was also discussed yesterday. Goodell said that the idea "was presented by multiple teams," and added that possibilities "would include a team playing an intrasquad scrimmage, which would be similar to what college football teams do, or two different teams playing one another." However, that proposal "apparently is in its formative stages and is not close to being enacted" (WASHINGTONPOST.com, 10/15). Goodell: "It was raised by a few clubs. More in the context of what the colleges do" (AP, 10/15). YAHOO SPORTS' Chris Chase wrote "don't be surprised to see April football at an NFL stadium near you within the next five years." Chase: "A spring game, whether it be an intrasquad scrimmage or an actual contest, isn't a bad idea, but is it a necessary one? This seems to be a case of NFL owners mistaking popularity for demand. The league is as popular as ever, but that doesn't mean fans want to see backups playing a game at half-speed in April" (SPORTS.YAHOO.com, 10/15). ESPN’s J.A. Adande: “We already have the spring game. It’s the NFL Draft. They get plenty of attention in the springtime for a meaningless, non-event … so let the other seasons have their time.” But ESPN’s Tony Kornheiser said the idea is "something the NFL should not ignore." Kornheiser: "If they put on four games in one day -- four games, that’s all -- they’d get the biggest rating in the history of television” (“PTI,” ESPN, 10/15).

I love football and lament the offseason as much as anyone, but I just don't think a Spring game would mean anything to me (and probably not much to the teams playing them).

Add in the risk of injury and I just don't think it's a good idea.

On the other hand, I'd love to see the Panthers play an intrasquad scrimmage, as mentioned in the article. Our defense has the potential to make our offense look like worldbeaters.

Archived