• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

clausen still part of "long term plan"...wait what?

Here's my issue with Volek. He has 10 career starts. Same as Jimmy. I mean maybe he'd have a head start in terms of the playbook but that's something he should be picking up pretty fast anyway.

When he's played, he's played well. And he'd know the system and terminology as well as anyone thanks to the time he's spent in San Diego, so he could help teach the other guys.

He's a stopgap, for certain, but then that's what I think we need anyway.

You could make a pretty good argument that he had a worse team around him too.

I'd say our depth chart this season could look a lot like it did at the start of 2003, when it was an old vet (Peete) a young mid-level FA (Delhomme) and a young question mark (Weinke). The order might not be the same, but the options very well could be. The names, quite possibly Volek, Clausen and Moore.

We'll see.

(for the record, I expect a final outcome much closer to 2002 than 2003)

I really dont see that. His WR option were about the same or better. The line may have been worse but Clausen threw less and had a better running game. The Defense was much better then in 2001 that's for sure. I mean you can come up with 100 excuses as to why he failed but the fact was he did not progress any. The other thing is that the system was almost the exact replica of the one he ran in ND. Prob a even more dumbed down version if you ask me. IMO if he was an NFL QB he would have shown progress threw the year. He showed none. Its the same thing we have seen from many busts. They dont progress.

I really dont see that. His WR option were about the same or better. The line may have been worse but Clausen threw less and had a better running game. The Defense was much better then in 2001 that's for sure. I mean you can come up with 100 excuses as to why he failed but the fact was he did not progress any. The other thing is that the system was almost the exact replica of the one he ran in ND. Prob a even more dumbed down version if you ask me. IMO if he was an NFL QB he would have shown progress threw the year. He showed none. Its the same thing we have seen from many busts. They dont progress.

I'd be lying if I said I was optimistic about Clausen.

The one thing I do have to admit though: Judging a guy based on his rookie season, one in which he was coached by a trifecta of Fox-Davidson-Scherer, is probably not a good idea.

The one thing I do have to admit though: Judging a guy based on his rookie season, one in which he was coached by a trifecta of Fox-Davidson-Scherer, is probably not a good idea.

Well Im not saying he want be a good back up in the NFL. Just not the Fran guy we are looking for. If we still had Delhomme in his prime I would not worry so much but we really need a future guy and I dont think Clausen is it.

I just think he might fair better in a WCO with time to sit for about 3 years. I know Im being judgmental but I just see it as you ether got it or you dont as a QB. Its not like DE where you can become great over time.

I think he should definitely start the first couple games to see if he can improve but I hope the FO has the balls to cut him loose if/when he's not showing anything. I fear he will be strung along with everybody making excuses for him when maybe he just doesn't have what it takes.

Sometimes, to read this forum about Clausen, is to think this kid, yes kid, is the root of all evil. He didn't ask to be drafted by the Panthers. The Panthers elite scouts and elite coaches thought they got a 'steal'. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.

I would expect that it will be Volek, Clausen, player x.

I do not think Moore or Pike are worth keeping.

Moore had the team handed to him and the bottom-line was, he blew it. The moment was too big for him. The Giants game, all on him, and down hill from there. He should not comeback as 3rd string and that is what he would be and frankly, if he accepts that, there is something wrong with his competitive spirit.

In the spotlight, Clausen shrunk too, surprising give that he did pretty well in the spotlight previously; but, college is not the NFL and the NFL is not college. My only issue with Clausen, as said previously, is when the play was there for him to make, he did not seize it; cannot have a scared QB, just can't. The throw in the NFL is made in inches of space. We'll see if the new coaching staff corrects that. If not, a 2nd round blown pick is not as bad as a 1st.

Pike, not worth talking about IMHO.

I just think, it's time to stop bashing Clausen. The new coaching staff, I believe, will be a breath of fresh air around here, for the players and the fans. Let's let them decide what to do, or not, with Jimmy.

Sometimes, to read this forum about Clausen, is to think this kid, yes kid, is the root of all evil. He didn't ask to be drafted by the Panthers. The Panthers elite scouts and elite coaches thought they got a 'steal'. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.

Moore had the team handed to him and the bottom-line was, he blew it. The moment was too big for him. The Giants game, all on him, and down hill from there. He should not comeback as 3rd string and that is what he would be and frankly, if he accepts that, there is something wrong with his competitive spirit.

In the spotlight, Clausen shrunk too, surprising give that he did pretty well in the spotlight previously; but, college is not the NFL and the NFL is not college. My only issue with Clausen, as said previously, is when the play was there for him to make, he did not seize it; cannot have a scared QB, just can't. The throw in the NFL is made in inches of space. We'll see if the new coaching staff corrects that. If not, a 2nd round blown pick is not as bad as a 1st.

I just think, it's time to stop bashing Clausen. The new coaching staff, I believe, will be a breath of fresh air around here, for the players and the fans. Let's let them decide what to do, or not, with Jimmy.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to complain about a guy who isn't playing well.

Well Im not saying he want be a good back up in the NFL. Just not the Fran guy we are looking for. If we still had Delhomme in his prime I would not worry so much but we really need a future guy and I dont think Clausen is it.

I just think he might fair better in a WCO with time to sit for about 3 years. I know Im being judgmental but I just see it as you ether got it or you dont as a QB. Its not like DE where you can become great over time.

I've thought Clausen was better suited to a West Coast system since he was in college.

We're not gonna be running one anytime soon though.

Moore may prove not to be worth keeping, but given that the new offensive staff has more than one connection to him, I won't be shocked if he gets another chance to at least come to training camp and compete.

Pike? I'd say the same thing there as about Clausen. Given who was in charge last season, I treat him as a complete unknown.

It isn't just complaining, it's reached the height of ridiculous.

The Panthers had several all Pro Oline who didn't play well either (Gross, Wharton, and another wasted pick who can't stay on the field in Otah). I don't see the same venom directed their way as I do a 22 yr old rookie.

I am neither condeming or recommending Clausen; but, the blame does not lie with him. He was not drafted to start, he had to, like Moore, he wasn't impressive, so be it.

Again, the elite Front Office, Scouts, Coaches, all pros, drafted him.

They had other choices throughout the years and didn't make them, and maybe that's a blessing.

To me, complain about the reason he was here, that's the root cause.

If the boy had all of these 'flaws', why didn't the Panthers scouts see them. 31 other teams passed on him, the Panthers didn't.

It isn't just complaining, it's reached the height of ridiculous.

The Panthers had several all Pro Oline who didn't play well either (Gross, Wharton, and another wasted pick who can't stay on the field in Otah). I don't see the same venom directed their way as I do a 22 yr old rookie.

I am neither condeming or recommending Clausen; but, the blame does not lie with him. He was not drafted to start, he had to, like Moore, he wasn't impressive, so be it.

Again, the elite Front Office, Scouts, Coaches, all pros, drafted him.

They had other choices throughout the years and didn't make them, and maybe that's a blessing.

To me, complain about the reason he was here, that's the root cause.

If the boy had all of these 'flaws', why didn't the Panthers scouts see them. 31 other teams passed on him, the Panthers didn't.

He'll get this year to prove whether he can do it or not.

Unless he shows them something, I doubt he gets another.

Archived