• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So let me get this straight, you guys hate Clausen and Edwards yet...

thunderraiden

That's my point they can never compare Cam to a successful (preferably black)QB. Cause they have Jamarcus stuck in their head.

Gotcha.

Anyway, I think he compares to Randall Cunningham pretty well. You can go back and watch his NFL highlights, and he was doing some of the same things I saw Cam do in college.

Gotcha.

Anyway, I think he compares to Randall Cunningham pretty well. You can go back and watch his NFL highlights, and he was doing some of the same things I saw Cam do in college.

I definitely see the similarities between Cunningham and Newton.

I think the best comparrison to what we see in Newton right now as a college player would be to Steve Young in 1984. Young had all of the physical tools to be a great QB and had the added athleticism to run as well.

The LA Express (of the USFL) and the Tampa Bay Bucs both tried to make him into an automatic starter from day one. Eventually it took a coach willing to develope him in Walsh for Young to become the HOF he became.

I think Newton has the tools but he isn't ready yet and needs to be developed. That isn't a bad thing, though. I don't have a problem with giving Clausen and Edwards time to develope and I don't have a problem with giving Newton the time to develope either if he is the pick.

I think the best comparrison to what we see in Newton right now as a college player would be to Steve Young in 1984. Young had all of the physical tools to be a great QB and had the added athleticism to run as well.

The LA Express (of the USFL) and the Tampa Bay Bucs both tried to make him into an automatic starter from day one. Eventually it took a coach willing to develope him in Walsh for Young to become the HOF he became.

I think Newton has the tools but he isn't ready yet and needs to be developed. That isn't a bad thing, though. I don't have a problem with giving Clausen and Edwards time to develope and I don't have a problem with giving Newton the time to develope either if he is the pick.

I agree. I'm tired of hearing about how we need an immediate impact player. For what? So we can win 5-6 games instead of 2? It's not like our offense is going to be so much better in 2011 that a Nick Fairly is going to put us over the top and make us champions of the world.

I agree. I'm tired of hearing about how we need an immediate impact player. For what? So we can win 5-6 games instead of 2? It's not like our offense is going to be so much better in 2011 that a Nick Fairly is going to put us over the top and make us champions of the world.

decent QB play will make this a .500 ish ball club overnight. Rivera ain't a lameduck and will be allowed the normal moves Fox was denied this past year.

Carolina won 2 games last year.....doesn't mean they had the talent of a 1-2 team. Most teams that suck that bad don't have the OL talent, RB talent, defensive talent etc. that Carolina had. As long as Carolina is healthy......all they need is average QB play and they can get to .500 year one of the Rivera era.

decent QB play will make this a .500 ish ball club overnight. Rivera ain't a lameduck and will be allowed the normal moves Fox was denied this past year.

Carolina won 2 games last year.....doesn't mean they had the talent of a 1-2 team. Most teams that suck that bad don't have the OL talent, RB talent, defensive talent etc. that Carolina had. As long as Carolina is healthy......all they need is average QB play and they can get to .500 year one of the Rivera era.

I'm taking that what you said means that you would not want to draft Newton and let him develope and instead find a QB that will be "decent" and thus get the team to a .500ish record next year.

So my question to you would be, you are willing to sacrafice the potentiel of having a great QB who in 3 years could possibly make the team to a SB contender for a 7-9 season next year?

I'm actually not on the Cam Newton bandwagon yet. Might not ever be. But I do believe Panther fans need to stop thinking about just the 2011 or even 2012 seasons and start thinking more long term. Same logic needs to be applied to the situations revolving around Steve Smith and DeAngelo Williams. What's best for the long term success of the team and ultimently winning a Super Bowl?

Archived