• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

SB43's big lesson: Quarterbacks are important

raleigh-panther

Just thought I'd share an article from The Sporting News paid service.

Sorry if its too long for some of you.

Some don't like Cosell; but, I'll give him this, he did pick the Cardinals to beat the Panthers and explained why.

At some point, this franchise needs a franchise QB and we will go no further until we do.

2003 was 6 years ago.

attachment.php?attachmentid=28639&stc=1&d=1234231327

Delhomme deserves plenty of criticism for that play off game, but all the bitching and complaining in the world doesn't explain how we're supposed to replace him when we have more pressing needs.

I do find it funny that when some of us explained how important that a good starting QB was back in 07, many people here got all huffy and puffy and said that it was just an excuse for Fox having a losing season. It seems that some have already forgotten that things can be much worse than going 12-4 and winning the NFC South.

It sure does. My post was pure sarcasm. The thing I like most about your article is that it compares 2 different QBs with 2 different styles. Both had success last year, but the more athletic improvisational "sandlot" QB won the big game. This is in stark contrast to our "old school" philosophy that a QB can only being one thing.

Roethlesberger didn't win it the Steelers did. Warner outplayed Ben by a wide margin. If Arizona had the Steelers defense and their offense it would have been a blowout. Ben had some good drives, one being the last one. The defense won this one as it usually does. Ben did well but clearly he wasn't the difference. It had been a quarterback competition, Warner would have won without question.

Roethlesberger didn't win it the Steelers did. Warner outplayed Ben by a wide margin. If Arizona had the Steelers defense and their offense it would have been a blowout. Ben had some good drives, one being the last one. The defense won this one as it usually does. Ben did well but clearly he wasn't the difference. It had been a quarterback competition, Warner would have won without question.

Ben made the plays he needed to. I could've swore it was his TD pass to Santonio Holmes that won the game for the Steelers. His 2 minute drive was a thing of beauty. Kurt Warner for all his pretty passing stats fumbled the ball away on the last drive of the game. Ben is a "WINNER" which is something I would take over a pretty passer (Carson Palmer, Drew Brees, Jay Cutler) anyday.

Ben made the plays he needed to. I could've swore it was his TD pass to Santonio Holmes that won the game for the Steelers. His 2 minute drive was a thing of beauty. Kurt Warner for all his pretty passing stats fumbled the ball away on the last drive of the game. Ben is a "WINNER" which is something I would take over a pretty passer (Carson Palmer, Drew Brees, Jay Cutler) anyday.

you know it's funny when Jake does his 4th quarter winning drive after not really moving the ball at all and meanwhile the guy on the other side throws for like 300 yards and 3 touchdowns, everybody says Jake was the better QB that day.

Roethlisberger engineered a game winning drive, just like Jake, but he's still a bum because he's not Jake the great.

I understand you obviously must be using sarcasm since many people say the same thing about Jake and you surely wouldn't say that the way you bash him with regularity. But you are right in this case, Ben did what he had to when the game was on the line much like Jake does with regularity. I do believe that it isn't the guy with the big stats that makes the difference but the guy that comes up big when the game is on the line that is the winner. So in your sarcasm you actually delivered some nuggets of truth. Good job!!!!

I understand you obviously must be using sarcasm since many people say the same thing about Jake and you surely wouldn't say that the way you bash him with regularity. But you are right in this case, Ben did what he had to when the game was on the line much like Jake does with regularity. I do believe that it isn't the guy with the big stats that makes the difference but the guy that comes up big when the game is on the line that is the winner. So in your sarcasm you actually delivered some nuggets of truth. Good job!!!!

I was actually being serious in that post. I'll take a "winner" over a "pretty passer". I wouldnt consider Delhomme either.

attachment.php?attachmentid=28639&stc=1&d=1234231327

Yea this ^

Don't you love it :D

I was actually being serious in that post. I'll take a "winner" over a "pretty passer". I wouldnt consider Delhomme either.

Wait but he made it to and LOST in the SB, that has to count for something right?

Like how many blow jobs?

Wait but he made it to and LOST in the SB, that has to count for something right?

Like how many blow jobs?

I swear man the Delhomme apologists have gone mad. What dissapoints me the most about them is they will defend Jake's mediocre ass to the death, but will then turn around diminish what guys like Rothlisberger and McNabb have done. Its straight comedy.

I swear man the Delhomme apologists have gone mad. What dissapoints me the most about them is they will defend Jake's mediocre ass to the death, but will then turn around diminish what guys like Rothlisberger and McNabb have done. Its straight comedy.

Yea Ben plays like what a good young Delhomme would play like, and they try to knock his game.

But hey man they are the ones being "realistic" :rolleyes:

Then that is funny and hypocritical on your part. Jake's winning percentage is the best in the division standing at 62%. While Jake is anything but a pretty passer by all accounts he is clearly a winner. He has more 4th quarter comebacks than most present quarterbacks in the league. And his fourth quarter passer rating is much higher than the rest of the game.

If you were clearly for a winner you would be in Jake's corner and you are not. I guess the grass only looks greener on the other side of the fence.

Lets not talk about apologists. You defended Fosters sorry ass.

Archived