• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For What It's Worth....

NanceUSMC

I still prefer Green, because I feel like we're going to be losing Steve Smith soon but I also understand that going in with a purely green receiving corps is recipe for a disaster.

I like Peterson a lot - he would basically solidify our secondary enormously.

Dareus I don't know enough about, but I understand the need at DT. It's just such an unsexy position to draft I have trouble getting into it... but I would certainly be happy if we did fill that need.

The Green pick could make sense if Smith definitely wants out. That would establish our receivers as a good group and with a vet Qb next year we could be okay. It would shore up the receivers position for the next 5-10 years. I think some of it would be looking at whether DT, corner, etc could be worked on further down in the draft.

I still prefer Green, because I feel like we're going to be losing Steve Smith soon but I also understand that going in with a purely green receiving corps is recipe for a disaster.

I like Peterson a lot - he would basically solidify our secondary enormously.

Dareus I don't know enough about, but I understand the need at DT. It's just such an unsexy position to draft I have trouble getting into it... but I would certainly be happy if we did fill that need.

If we lose Steve Smith before the draft, it will be because he was traded for more picks, and there are some very good WR's that can be had later.

I just don't like taking a WR at #1 anyway.

I would rather take a DE than a DT. QB's and pass-rushers are the most important guys on the field. Dareus is solid but not an elite pass-rusher a la Suh.

I think Dareus will be a very good pass rusher and won't give up running lanes either.

We have Johnson, Hardy and Brown at the DE and it's really not a need, whereas DT is our biggest need on D.

I would rather take a DE than a DT. QB's and pass-rushers are the most important guys on the field. Dareus is solid but not an elite pass-rusher a la Suh.

Our DE position is not a significant area of need, but that train of thought is why people have us taking Bowers in mocks.

The Green pick could make sense if Smith definitely wants out. That would establish our receivers as a good group and with a vet Qb next year we could be okay. It would shore up the receivers position for the next 5-10 years. I think some of it would be looking at whether DT, corner, etc could be worked on further down in the draft.

This is my thinking. I just am not in love with the prospects at the QB position. I really like Gabbert, but I do not want him at #1. I like the prospects of Newton but overall I just do not want to invest the #1 overall in a guy who you can't really expect to start right away.

I have heard that CB and DT are both deep this draft. I really wish we had a second, because we could pick up some good value there. Still, there WILL be good players available in the third.

The only things I really see working against Green (who I love as a WR by the way), is that we addressed the position so heavily last year, and that Smith doesn't have a history of being the best teammate to help groom and teach younger players at his position (or any position for that matter)... There have been multiple reports that he has thrown teammates under the bus (whether needed or otherwise), reports that his behavior helped contribute to the downfall of Colbert and Jarrett, reports that he couldn't coexist with other high profile players in the locker room that threatened his place in the spotlight, and the list goes on and on... Don't get me wrong, I'm a Smitty fan, but if I'm making a high pick, I'm taking this into account before i spend it on a WR that may get assaulted (mentally, verbally, physically, etc) by a teammate that most would hope would help him learn the ropes...

Archived