• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pat Y was asked about Newton's red flags.

Stumpy

And just to add some fuel to the fire, for Cam Lovers, I did ask Joyner if he'd include Newton's numbers. He said his numbers were offset by poor mechanics (which he does go into in Mallett vs Gabbert). You guys can choose what to make of that :)

IMHO

If it's a vertical game, it's not going to be Gabbert.

It won't be Mallet as that is the last person for the 'face of the franchise'.

If the Panthers do pick a QB, it's going to be Newton.

I believe Joyner's article was more to the point of against better competition, Gabbert's passes became much shorter in distance, in addition to the other points.

I believe Joyner's article was more to the point of against better competition, Gabbert's passes became much shorter in distance, in addition to the other points.

I didn't get that from his article and a breakdown of his points doesn't indicate that. His point was that Mallett was more effective at scoring touchdowns in a vertical passing offense, but he was also much more proficient at "scoring" interceptions (throwing one every 9 passes, lol) and was far less accurate under 30 yards.

Ultimately his article came down to this: Mallett has terrible footwork, but he thinks that will be easier to work on than Gabbert's pocket presence. Can't really argue too much with that, it's the major hit on Gabbert. I think he can and will improve in that area in the pros though.

Archived