• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My annual mock draft thread...

Darth Urious

Here goes... my attempt at offering up who I would draft if I were in charge and the pieces fell right...

I don't know if I will update this between now and that day, but this is taking into account the same things I used in the past... my formulas and such...

Pick #1

Marcell Dareus, DT Alabama

MarcellDareus_crop_340x234.jpg?1289611462

The Panthers should go with Dareus for a few reasons.

First of all, our defense gives up too much control up front on the defensive side. This leads to trouble for our whole team.

I've been an AJ Green guy for a while now, but I don't honestly think the Panthers will go WR off the top unless Smitty is indeed on his way out of town... and I don't think that is the case. We'll put a lot of hope in LaFell and Gettis, and maybe even Armanti, in favor of putting off addressing WR so high on the list.

For a similar reason, I think we'll shy away from a QB in favor of Clausen, Moore, and maybe some other/hopefully-on-the-FA-market-but-unknown-at-this-point/later in the draft guy.

PP isn't that big of a need if Gamble sticks around. We got some young guys already in the defensive backfield (granted, none may be as talented as PP) that I think we are content to move forward with.

Therefore, by default, Dareus is the pick if we don't move out of the spot. Von Miller could be a dark horse pick here as well as Da'Quan Bowers.

Pick #2 - 65 overall

Marcus Cannon, OL TCU

RackMultipart.1652.0_display_image.jpg?1260221676

We'll be lucky if Cannon is still on the board at this point, but if he is we should pounce on him. He is huge, nimble, and can start at T or G.

Pick #3 - 97 overall

Colin McCarthy, LB Miami

6a00d83451b26169e20120a542447f970c-250wi

This guy will remind a lot of people of Dan Morgan, and rightfully so. He is superb against the run, and has a great nose for the ball. He can play inside or out, and could immediately compete with Connor for the top backup/rotating starter slot.

Pick #4 - 98 overall

Edmund Gates, WR Abilene Christian

Edmund-Gates-web_display_image.jpg?1297259383

Part of the Panthers offensive woes, regardless of what the Clausen bashers say, is the inability of Smitty, LaFell, or Gettis to get much separation from the defender. Gates could help out a lot here, as he is one of the fastest players in the draft, with solid hands, and good route running.

He reminds me a lot of one of my favorites from last year, Mardy Gilyard, but he may be better.

Pick #5 - 132 overall

Ross Homan, LB Ohio St.

674480.jpg?426

Yep... another LB. I think Rivera will have something like this up his sleeve.

Homan can provide good depth and insurance behind either Thomas Davis or whoever ends up starting on the other side (probably James Anderson.) He's another throwback type of LB with a good nose for the ball, good speed and strength, and has great overall football smarts.

Pick #6 - 166 overall

Ugo Chinasa, DE Oklahoma St.

w300.jpg

Chinasa is a huge guy with good speed and strength. He reminds me a lot of Greg Hardy, and could end up being capable of starting at either side. We'll use a heavy rotation, and he could fit in that very well.

Pick #7 - 203 overall

Weslye Saunders, TE South Carolina

saunders-269x198.jpg

Saunders is a huge, athletic target with a little bit of an ego. He's the perfect type of player to bring in to rotate with Shockey under Chud. This guy could end up being a steal because he was suspended for all of last year.

He won't run by many people, but he has the ability to run through them. With a little coaching and maturity, he could do well in the NFL.

Pick #8 - 243 overall

Derek Hall, T Stanford

DerickHall_WB_113010.jpg

This is simply a precursor to when we draft Luck next year... ;)

Just kidding. Hall had a total of one year's experience on the OL. That one year, Stanford only gave up 6 total sacks. He's athletic, keeps his head on a swivel, and learns well and fast. Could develop into a solid starter in a couple years at G or T.

this was solid solid stuff I was actually getting ready to update mine and it's fairly simmilar on the order of players taken.

except for the part about LaFell, Gettis, or Smitty not getting good separation, and the cure of separation being speed. Also Gates is a DII guy so I'm sure his raw physical skills helped him there more than they would have in DI and especially in the NFL.

Archived