• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Losing Weight without losing muscle (the little I have)

The Saltman

A HIIT routine will do you wonders if you can tough it out. HIIT won't burn your muscle and it's 2-3 times a week. You may want to get an iron gym pull up bar. Just do some pull ups every time you leave and come back to your house. You'll notice a difference in no time.

it's hard to do 5x5 three days a week. I tried it for 2 months and I was sore perpetually. Never did it more than twice a week for this reason.

What weight did you start off at? SL5x5 starts with an empty bar. This allows you to focus on form before you start getting heavy.

I just started back a few weeks ago after not working out at all over the winter. Since my squat was around 225 when I stopped I figured I could drop down to 125 and build my way back up. That 125 tore me up. I could barely walk for 3 days but I stuck with it and am perfectly fine now.

The key is progressive loading and consistency. I guarantee you won't be sore.

the best thing you can do to lose weight is eat 6 small meals a day. And limit Breakfast to being the biggest portion.

your body will allow fat to burn up faster by doing this.

run a few miles 3 times a week and eat 6 times a day (no exceptions, no forgetting). That should be the simplest advice you'll receive.

You want to stay on your feet, exerting energy for a long period of time. So slow it down so you don't get winded after 20 minutes of running. Try to last about 40 minutes (twss)..

The actual answer here of course is... there is no easy answer. It takes a combination of all things discussed to achieve results. Most of all it takes dedication and self control.

I can only tell you what I have done this year.

Since Jan 1 I have not had sweets. I have not had french fries or any potato product for that matter. I eat lean meat with vegetables and supplement with a protein bar or shake in the mornings after a workout. Any bread I have is small in portion and whole grain.

I go to the gym every day. Yep, every day.

I do 30-45 minutes of cardio, really work up a sweat. I have to have my own towel to keep from dripping everywhere. As of now I run 3 miles then do 10 minutes on the bike. Seems to do the trick. I then do some weight lifting followed by core exercise.

I started the year at 210. I dropped quickly to 200, but then I went back up to about 205 and stayed there a while. I assume it was because I was putting on muscle and it was countering the fat loss. I was losing belt notches but not pounds. Then about 3 or 4 weeks ago the weight just started dripping off. I am down to 185 and feel great. Took 4 months of getting serious about it.

Anywho, that is what has worked for me.

So I have finally decided this beer gut has to go. I know for most men out there the best thing to do is to just eat protein, while keeping carbs and fat to a minimum. Basically weight train to bulk and then go on a cutting phase. But for me I need to lose fat more then anything so going on a bulking phase is not an option at this time.

My plan is to go on a strict 1800-2000 calorie diet with a 5 day workout plan consisting of 3 days of weight training and 2 days of cardio. My only draw back is that Im trying to cut costs at home so I do not have a gym membership. I do however have a bench and dumbbells and will just use them for now for about 6 months. I have already made a meal plan for 24 weeks that I pretty much stole off of the internet which consists of 50% good carbs 33% protein and 17% fat.

So that's my plan so far.

Any suggestions?

P.S. im 29, weighing about 182 lbs and 5'9

haha you're short

The actual answer here of course is... there is no easy answer. It takes a combination of all things discussed to achieve results. Most of all it takes dedication and self control.

Since Jan 1 I have not had sweets. I have not had french fries or any potato product for that matter. I eat lean meat with vegetables and supplement with a protein bar or shake in the mornings after a workout. Any bread I have is small in portion and whole grain.

I do 30-45 minutes of cardio, really work up a sweat. I have to have my own towel to keep from dripping everywhere. As of now I run 3 miles then do 10 minutes on the bike. Seems to do the trick. I then do some weight lifting followed by core exercise.

I started the year at 210. I dropped quickly to 200, but then I went back up to about 205 and stayed there a while. I assume it was because I was putting on muscle and it was countering the fat loss. I was losing belt notches but not pounds. Then about 3 or 4 weeks ago the weight just started dripping off. I am down to 185 and feel great. Took 4 months of getting serious about it.

This is important. Don't even worry about how much you weigh imo.

If you're worried about weight Saltman, just get a full body wax, that should drop about 20lbs off ya.

ya by comparing the gay cruise pic and you on facebook the pics are two worlds apart.

Good job.

This is important. Don't even worry about how much you weigh imo.

If you're worried about weight Saltman, just get a full body wax, that should drop about 20lbs off ya.

lol you know what I mean. I just wanna get rid of this beer belly, plain and simple.

Archived