• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

MLB Takes over LA Dodgers

Starscream

Looks like the owners can't afford to make payroll w/o borrowing money. Divorce problems spell disaster for a whole organization.:mad2:

Facing substantial debt payments, Mr. McCourt recently reached a new 20-year, media- rights deal with News Corp.'s Fox Sports unit that would have provided about $2.5 billion. But Mr. Selig withheld his approval for the deal, and in the meantime Mr. McCourt had to take out a $30 million personal loan from the Fox unit to cover the team's ongoing operations.

According to a person with knowledge of Mr. Selig's thinking, his takeover decision resulted directly from the accumulating embarrassments and worries about Mr. McCourt's ability to fund the club's payroll.

The person said Mr. Selig questions whether Mr. McCourt is fit to own the team for the long term, a determination he will make after he conducts an investigation in coming months.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-plaschke-dodgers-20110421,0,7011209.column

Since buying the team in 2004 with more smug than money, Frank McCourt kept his hands in his pockets while the stadium became a dump, the fan base become dangerously belligerent, and the team became the Pittsburgh Pirates.

On a day that felt like a Gibby fist pump, Major League Baseball reached into those pockets and grabbed the keys

As a non-baseball fan, I do not think this is a good idea at all. It gives off a Nazi Germany taking over Poland kind of vibe.

Basically this sets a precedence where the MLB is saying that we don't need owners and can run teams ourselves. The NBA has done the same thing.

Teams without owners should be sold or the organization should fold.

As a non-baseball fan, I do not think this is a good idea at all. It gives off a Nazi Germany taking over Poland kind of vibe.

Basically this sets a precedence where the MLB is saying that we don't need owners and can run teams ourselves. The NBA has done the same thing.

Teams without owners should be sold or the organization should fold.

I agree to an extent but don't know all the details. If the report I heard was correct, the FBI was looking into something like $140 million that the owner took from the team recently without reporting and if MLB didn't take the team, the government may have and losing the Dodgers and their history would be like the NFL letting the Steelers fold.

fug the McCourt's and that cheating slut of a wife.

Hopefully someone who really cares and wants to win will buy them and clean up the stadium, the fans, and the team.

Theres rumors that some Chinese billionaire wants to buy the team. If he's willing to be active in free agency I would be all for it. I've also heard Mark Cuban's name come up as well for a potential buyer....

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-plaschke-dodgers-20110421,0,7011209.column

Since buying the team in 2004 with more smug than money, Frank McCourt kept his hands in his pockets while the stadium became a dump, the fan base become dangerously belligerent, and the team became the Pittsburgh Pirates.

On a day that felt like a Gibby fist pump, Major League Baseball reached into those pockets and grabbed the keys

Man that is some bullshit jounalism right there. When McCourt bought the Dodgers in 2004 the Dodgers hadn't won a single playoff game since 1988.

In 2008 and 2009 the Dodgers made it all the way to the NLCS. They have an outstanding nucleus of young talent in Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier, James Loney, Clayton Kershaw and Chad Billingsley. They have absolutley nothing in common with the Pirates who haven't finished above .500 in decades. The Dodgers were in the thick of the pennant race last year until late summer collapses by Line Drive Broxton crushed them.

As far as the stadium goes he has upgraded with many new premium seats and scoreboards.

The issue with the Dodgers is the bitter divorce the last two years and resulting power struggle/money grab. That reporter needs to remove his head from his @hole.

Theres rumors that some Chinese billionaire wants to buy the team. If he's willing to be active in free agency I would be all for it. I've also heard Mark Cuban's name come up as well for a potential buyer....

The Dodgers have the 11th highest payroll in baseball I believe, somewhere over 100 million. The Pirates for instance are at 45 million.

Archived