• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Spread offenses work in NFL.

unicar15

And you would be completely incorrect. I have coached the spread veer and it is ran all the time in HS and College. Now you might refer to the old Wing T veer in which you would be correct, but what I am talking about is what has been ran for the last 5-7 years.

The QB is in the shotgun and makes his read off of the DE or OLB depending on what defense he is facing. He makes the decision to hand off or run or throw depending on the play called.

I absolutely not talking about the winged t. Im talking about the veer option.

PS the veer can be run from different formations, however in its pure form its doesn't use the shotgun very often.

Before you try to "edumacate" people you should at least know what you are talking about. The veer and spread offenses are not even close. The veer generally has the QB under center with 2 hbs and 2 wrs, whereas the spread generally has the QB in the shotgun with 3,4 or 5 wr sets. They arent even close in look or in principle.

Actually you're both wrong in different ways. The Veer is more of a blocking scheme/triple option, while this can be preformed with 2 hbs, it can also be from a wishbone, splitback, or even a spread offensive set with motioning hb's. Perhaps you should both do some research before you call anyone else stupid.

Here's a good starting place.

http://www.playbookexchange.net/playbooks/Offense/01070201-GeorgiaSouthern1.pdf

A complete and in depth explanation of Georgia Southern's offense. They have been running a Veer and it's variations for 20 years. So it's a good place to get a working knowledge of what a Veer actually is.

Although that quick explanation in that link is helpful, it doesn't really give a good explanation of the Veer and all it's formations, he just explains one set really.
my main point is that while veer plays can certainly be run from a spread offense the veer and the spread are certainly not interchangeable terms, as they were used in the post I first quoted.

Archived