• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Spread offenses work in NFL.

unicar15

Brady, Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Brees all run versions of a spread. It almost seems Brees and Brady are in the gun as much or more than they are under center. I know these are elite QBs with a keen understanding of the game but IMO its not a "system" concern with Newton and Gabbert. Its something else...because the spread is way more successful in the NFL than people realize.

mandy%2Bp.jpg

Let me try to edumacate the boy. 'Spread' in college is the veer option. It is a read option based on how the DE or OLB (depending on defense) attacks. It is much different in the NFL. In college WR Screens, flairs to RB's etc work much better than in the NFL because of the level of athletes playing. Go watch Cam Newton in Malzhan's Gimmick offense, then go put in tape of Aaron Rogers in GB. Light years difference.

Are more teams in the shotgun? Uh not really. Warren moon with the run and shoot was in it almost exclusively. Jim Kelly was in it at least 60% of the time with the K Gun. John Elway was in it in his offense a ton. Many Media types want to forget this because of an agenda they have and that is to keep you guys interested.

They also need to pimp the newest QB's no matter what because the meat of you fans gobble it up and its all you care about and that too is media driven. The game will never change to the point where run and stop the run isn't a primary goal. It will never get to the point where a QB doesn't take snaps under center, 3-5-7 step drops are needed with good footwork and timing etc.

No matter how badly the Media wants to say different, QB play has not and will not ever change. You must be able to take snaps, read defenses, take your drops and deliver the ball on time, on target and with anticipation no matter what. Regardless of what physical tools you have, that will never change.

Let me try to edumacate the boy. 'Spread' in college is the veer option.

Before you try to "edumacate" people you should at least know what you are talking about. The veer and spread offenses are not even close. The veer generally has the QB under center with 2 hbs and 2 wrs, whereas the spread generally has the QB in the shotgun with 3,4 or 5 wr sets. They arent even close in look or in principle.

Before you try to "edumacate" people you should at least know what you are talking about. The veer and spread offenses are not even close. The veer generally has the QB under center with 2 hbs and 2 wrs, whereas the spread generally has the QB in the shotgun with 3,4 or 5 wr sets. They arent even close in look or in principle.

And you would be completely incorrect. I have coached the spread veer and it is ran all the time in HS and College. Now you might refer to the old Wing T veer in which you would be correct, but what I am talking about is what has been ran for the last 5-7 years.

The QB is in the shotgun and makes his read off of the DE or OLB depending on what defense he is facing. He makes the decision to hand off or run or throw depending on the play called.

Archived