• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

FO post-draft breakdown of the NFC South

http://footballoutsiders.com/four-downs/2011/four-downs-nfc-south-0

If you are to busy live twittering your trip to the dentist to click on the link, I'll give you some of the finer points:

They think that we need to bring in other bodies at defensive tackle (Tommie Harris is mentioned) and definitely more guys at end if we let Johnson walk.

They say our corner play last year was actually pretty good, but our safeties left something to be desired as Tight Ends and slot receivers (generally a responsibility of safeties) put up good numbers against us.

We were also in the bottom half of the league in allowing second level runs which leads them to believe that our safeties were not sound tacklers either.

It's pretty standard stuff, with the exception of the safety criticism. I think we all agree we could use another couple guys along the defensive line. If Rivera and McDermont aren't impressed by the safety play, maybe we could have some fun and bring in a big ticket free agent like Eric Weddle(if he's not a RFA).

TE's have always put up good numbers no matter who our safeties have been.. I would put that on Fox since it's been an issue his entire tenure.. also, Godfrey and Martin are still growing as players. They didn't do horrible last year, and many people have contradicted that article by saying they had really solid year..

and Harris would be fine in a backup role, but I wouldn't put many expectations for something greater. Hopefully we make a real push to bring Cofield to Carolina.

Godfrey has only played 3 years and 2 for Martin.. I think we'll be fine. Especially now that we have a coaching staff geared towards coaching up the talent.. and Rivera who I trust to be much better at scheming for our players.

and as far as stats are concerned, last year Godfrey had a breakout year..

Godfrey has only played 3 years and 2 for Martin.. I think we'll be fine. Especially now that we have a coaching staff geared towards coaching up the talent.. and Rivera who I trust to be much better at scheming for our players.

Heavily in agreement with this!!

Godfrey had some nice stats. But they are not a good baramoter on overall saftey play. I think the postion will be fine and I could see him improve. But over the long run I think we might want somone more talented if he doesn't.

Godfrey had some nice stats. But they are not a good baramoter on overall saftey play. I think the postion will be fine and I could see him improve. But over the long run I think we might want somone more talented if he doesn't.

I realize stats do not explain the whole picture, but compared to most safeties, you won't find anyone that blows him away either..

also, the bolded part is the only part I'm trying to explain.. he will be entering his 4th year, I think he deserves at least 2 more years before we judge his ceiling.

Also, a lot of the knocks explained in this article isn't something that Godfrey or Martin have had issues with.. they are issues our defense has always had. Covering the middle of the field has never been a positive attribute.

Actually, covering the TE has been maybe the single biggest complaint fans have had with Fox's defense under his reign here..

now I'm excited to see how they both mature under a coach who will emphasize coaching players up and has proven to be one of the greater minds at scheming in the NFL..

I haven't seen any reason to assume they can't become better players on the field, as of yet. I actually think they have shown the opposite. With better coaching and scheming, maybe there is no need to upgrade the position.

The problem with giving him two more years is his contract is up after this year. So 2011 is pretty integral. Hopefully he pulls it out.

good point, but I'm trying to emphasize he hasn't exactly given us a reason to think he sucks. rather the opposite.

we'll see how they all do this year and what the coaches think..

I'm pretty skeptical of that article. Yes, we suck at defending tight ends, but that's usually the WLB's duty, not safety. Also, Godfrey is garbage. This guy looked at some stats from last season without watching one Panthers game... Martin is a beast, he'll be pro-bowl this year or the next... Godfrey will be pumping gas in a few years.

If we could get a starting SS in FA to compliment Martin, a decent DE and maybe a corner.... we'd be set. Why the hell did we get rid of Chris Harris? idiots.

I like Munnerlyn's game... Gamble is getting old and doesn't have the edge he used to. If Joe Hayden comes into camp in shape and with his mind right, he should bring some stiff competition for Gamble and Munnerlyn.

I'm pretty skeptical of that article. Yes, we suck at defending tight ends, but that's usually the WLB's duty, not safety. Also, Godfrey is garbage. This guy looked at some stats from last season without watching one Panthers game... Martin is a beast, he'll be pro-bowl this year or the next... Godfrey will be pumping gas in a few years.

If we could get a starting SS in FA to compliment Martin, a decent DE and maybe a corner.... we'd be set. Why the hell did we get rid of Chris Harris? idiots.

I like Munnerlyn's game... Gamble is getting old and doesn't have the edge he used to. If Joe Hayden comes into camp in shape and with his mind right, he should bring some stiff competition for Gamble and Munnerlyn.

Harris was great against the run, but could not cover anything in the passing game.

Re-sign CJ and we DO NOT need a DE. CJ, Hardy, Norwood, etc will be fine there.

The CB need will stem from us not re-signing Marshall....he wants to much coin.

Archived