• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What is it with players today?

frash.exe

If the economy continues to flounder for the next year, the NFL is in for a wake up call. They need look no further than Baseball, NBA, and NASCAR to see how a fanbase can fall off.

It's not as easy to sale $70 seats when people don't have the free cash to throw around, and corporate spending on sports is and will continue to decline.

At some point salaries will have to peak, and come in line with the economic environment, next year won't be a good time to have the CBA expire.

NFL players are not very well paid in comparison to other big time sports especially considering not much money is guaranteed.

And since they know this, it blows my mind that more of them don't take care of their $$$ better and wind up near broke or struggling at the end of their careers.

I admit, I have wondered if this new "youth" movement @ HC isn't somewhat a result of the economy. They are cheaper than the likes of Shanny and Gruden. I also heard that assistant coaches' salaries are down compared to previous years as well.

yeah man those athletes are so stupid with their money compared to the rest of the population

oh wait

The teams are just starting to feel a bit of a pinch, if things don't turn around it's going to be more of a choke hold. Take the Panthers for example, what's going to happen once BofA, and Wellchovia pull back (which they are sure to do). Once all the corporate money goes away then what...

yeah man those athletes are so stupid with their money compared to the rest of the population

oh wait

That isn't what I said. My point is that when you make the type of money the stars make, it's hard to believe they can't make it last longer. That isn't the same situation as a CS rep pulling in 25 k/year (a/k/a the rest of the population).

That isn't what I said. My point is that when you make the type of money the stars make, it's hard to believe they can't make it last longer. That isn't the same situation as a CS rep pulling in 25 k/year (a/k/a the rest of the population).

people are bad with money and live beyond their means regardless of how much they make and it's ridiculous to expect anyone to act differently because they made a lot.

this is america.

people are bad with money and live beyond their means regardless of how much they make and it's ridiculous to expect anyone to act differently because they made a lot.

this is america.

It's hard for your average working person to grasp how true easy come easy go is.

For most of us we don't have much of a choice but to live on a budget, we believe if we had a couple million we'd be set for life, and don't understand how anyone could piss millions away.

Just watch an episode of cribs, and you can see exactly where the money goes.

Yes, people are bad with their money and live beyond their means more now than ever and it's part of why the economy is a mess. It's one of those things that is hard for me to fathom in general because I have never had a problem managing my money even when I was making 16k/year and living on my own paycheck to paycheck 20 yrs ago.

But these guys have agents and financial advisors to help them. I know some people will blow through money no matter how much they have because that's just the way they think. I am just surprised at the amount who still do it when they have professional guidance. I know that some of them get bilked by their advisors who take advantage of their clients..umm...intellectual capacities. That truly sucks.

I think that's a big part of it really, most of them aren't surrounded by people with their best interest in mind. Agents, Managers, Posse, all ride the train until it breaks down then find another ride.

The smart players who surround themselves with good people do just fine after football.

Archived