• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What is it with players today?

frash.exe

Now it seems like even money doesn't sway them, there is so much player dissension in the NFL today it's just out of control. I mean before you still had your shining examples but not as much as today. Examples:

Lucas putting the kabosh on the Lions trade (latest)

Peppers "No more Carolina, and I only want to go to 4 teams"

Antonio Bryant's pissed he got tagged, meanwhile he's getting paid more than Steve Smith's 08 figure this year and he was MIA in 2007.

Dunta Robinson is apparently disgruntled he got tagged as well

Chad Johnson's been wanting to get out of Cincy every year

Lance Briggs "I'm done with Chicago"- off a SB season BTW

Anquan Boldin "trade me AZ"

Shaun Rogers wanting out of Cleveland (recent one)

Kris Jenkins "I want out of Carolina we have no heart"

Jared Allen (last year after Kansas City tagged him)

Javon Walker "broncos are not for me" (2008)

Asante Samuel----NE, 2007

DeAngelo Hall last year

The franchise tag makes them among the highest paid players at their position in the league, so it can't really be money, I mean these guys know they're going to get a deal anyway in the future. Remember, you people are getting paid to play a f*cking game just about 90% of the NFL fanbase wishes to play themselves. I wanna scream before I get out of the car every time I go to work my job sucks. Oh, not to mention BTW some players that bust their asses and they're barely breaking 7 figures. Between Jon Beason and DeAngelo Williams the Panthers paid about 2.4 million combined, and I saw those guys hustling a lot more than Lucas. I mean fug, man, Beason had more interceptions than you did bro.

What kind of "team" player are you to be sooo disappointed when your team tags you? Is it that you've anticipated hitting free agency so bad when you were playing on your team? Who the fug looks forward to "getting out of this hellhole" in the middle of a season, even on teams that are really good?

IMO nfl players have a lot more going their way than they did 20 years ago when they were going on strike and poo. they get more money now than they ever did before, and it's still sour grapes every time something doesn't go their way they throw a frigging tantrum and complain to the media like a petulant five year old who wants what he wants and he wants it now. I'd like to have seen these players fidget with their team when there wasn't even a fuging free agency, or when the cap was like 30 million dollars. In 1990 Bills QB Jim Kelly signed a 6 year extension for 20 mil. fuging safeties get paid way more than that nowadays and they're still bitching. The players are pissing and moaning about that dreaded franchise tag when they're the ones who agreed to the damn policy in the first place.

First the teams needed to satisfy their pockets, now they have to satisfy their egos? Suck it.

/rant

nfl players have a very short time span to make their money, and have almost no other marketable skills to last them the rest of their lives.

at any point they could suffer an injury that would preclude them from ever signing another contract in the nfl.

the franchise tag gives them absolutely no security.

plus, football players, just like every single other person in society, like places and don't like places for various reasons.

your typical nfl player not drafted in the top ten essentially has one chance in his career to sign a lucrative contract.

they basically play for 3-5 years on their rookie deals trying to earn the big pay day, and when they are franchised, they're basically being robbed the rest of their signing bonus that an injury at any moment could preclude them from ever having the chance to get again.

this is difficult to understand because the dollar amounts are so large compared to what the rest of us make, but the nfl makes an absurd amount of money and these players' skills are very in demand.

your typical nfl player not drafted in the top ten essentially has one chance in his career to sign a lucrative contract.

they basically play for 3-5 years on their rookie deals trying to earn the big pay day, and when they are franchised, they're basically being robbed the rest of their signing bonus that an injury at any moment could preclude them from ever having the chance to get again.

this is difficult to understand because the dollar amounts are so large compared to what the rest of us make, but the nfl makes an absurd amount of money and these players' skills are very in demand.

but then my point is, they agreed to this in the first place, now they scoff at it almost every time. Sure there is a risk, but I bet Gross was looking at less money last year than he was this year. There are some other great examples of that. Now after a great '08 campaign playing a position that is very hard to find players that can handle it (LT) he stands to make 10 mil a year over the next 3 years.

secondly, with no cap year next year, I'd be more than happy to take a franchise tag this year, considering things will really get out of control with no imposed limit for teams to pay a player if they want them in 2010.

but then my point is, they agreed to this in the first place, now they scoff at it almost every time. Sure there is a risk, but I bet Gross was looking at less money last year than he was this year. There are some other great examples of that. Now after a great '08 campaign playing a position that is very hard to find players that can handle it (LT) he stands to make 10 mil a year over the next 3 years.

there's still incredibly high risk involved and an opportunity cost we can't even fathom.

secondly, with no cap year next year, I'd be more than happy to take a franchise tag this year, considering things will really get out of control with no imposed limit for teams to pay a player if they want them in 2010.

lol you think there won't be a cap

Just remember when you squawk and bitch and moan about not getting a raise or promotion there are billions of people who would be happy to make a fifth of what you make.

All about perspective.

If the economy continues to flounder for the next year, the NFL is in for a wake up call. They need look no further than Baseball, NBA, and NASCAR to see how a fanbase can fall off.

It's not as easy to sale $70 seats when people don't have the free cash to throw around, and corporate spending on sports is and will continue to decline.

At some point salaries will have to peak, and come in line with the economic environment, next year won't be a good time to have the CBA expire.

nfl players have a very short time span to make their money, and have almost no other marketable skills to last them the rest of their lives.

And since they know this, it blows my mind that more of them don't take care of their $$$ better and wind up near broke or struggling at the end of their careers.

I admit, I have wondered if this new "youth" movement @ HC isn't somewhat a result of the economy. They are cheaper than the likes of Shanny and Gruden. I also heard that assistant coaches' salaries are down compared to previous years as well.

Archived