• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

choose 5 WRs, 3 TEs, 3 RBs, 2 FBs....

rayzor

I enjoy seeing all these posters just riding Pilares off like he wont be good, especially when they haven't seen him play yet. Reminds me of last year with Gettis. So many of you didn't think he would make the 53 roster, and look at him now. Some of you need to go take football 101 before giving us a look at your scouting skills.
it's not a matter of writing him off or people saying he doesn't have talent. it's a matter of him not being better than the guys in front of him and who would have to be released to keep him around. if we need 6 WRs, then we have to sacrifice depth somewhere else that may be more needed and more used than the 6th WR.
Some are thinking that.

I haven't seen Barny actually do such when bullets are flying tho

he has had a couple good catches, but yeah, there isn't much game tape to go on of course you have to consider who his coach was and 1) how he used TEs and 2) how unlikely you were to see action with 2 older vets on the roster.

But you already have that in Olsen. Without Hartsock who do have to rely on for blocking?

I'd think having a great blocking TE and receiving TE would be more consistneley useful then having two good receiving ones. Especially for a team that possess a strong running game and young Qb's.

In my scenerio, Hartsock stays in a utility FB/TE/general blocker role (technically listed as #2 FB).

This is also predicated on Barnidge continuing his positive play, with it carrying over into the preseason games. Since Shockey will be gone next year, we will need a new backup pass catching TE to replace him. And since we already have the perfect fit already on the roster, I think they will try to find a way to keep him.

i'm still trying to find out why we NEED 6 WRs. why is it important that we keep 5? is it worth giving up quality and needed depth elsewhere so that we can keep that many?

anyways, the point was if we were going to follow the template used by chud in cleveland and what norv turner does in san diego, what 5 guys would we go with. who does he replace on special teams? jansen?

It's not about current need, it's about preparing for the future. I'm not sure if you have ever seen Pilares play or if you are basing your opinion on what you have read and youtube highlights, but this kid has A LOT of ability. He has the potential to be a slot receiver in the vane of Wes Welker, only faster.

I know we all have a tendency to want everything right now, but we reasonably can only expect or hope to show improvement this season. It really won't be until next year at the earliest that we have a legitimate chance to make some real noise, so sometimes you have to make long term decisions at the expense of immediate returns. And that's what Pilares is.

If we were going to contend this year, I would agree that we probably need to save roster spots only for players that are expected to contribute to our run. But that's not the case. So, I believe, and I think the team will also, that while we want to win as much as possible, it's much more important to set the table by keeping players we expect to be significant contributors when we are ready.

Of course all of this is based on Pilares showing well in camp, which by all reports, he is doing fine. But he has to earn it, as a 5th round pick, nothing will or should be given to him.

Is Shockey really a lock? He probably only has a couple good years left max considering how banged up hes been lately. What's his cap hit looking like?? I'd hate to see Barnidge cut because of him. Gary has made good strides since we drafted him in 2008, hes only 25! He could be a great back up to Olsen for a long time.

Prediction:

WR- Smith, Naanee, Gettis, Lafell, Edwards (also wildcat QB)

Pilares (our sixth receiver... on PS), so he still will be

learning and practicing with the team.

TE- Shockey, Olsen, Barnidge (TE/LS)

RB- D.Will, J.Stewart, M.Goodson

FB- Hartsock (FB/TE), Sutton (FB/RB)

I think Fia is out. He has had great improvement since we drafted him,

but not far enough imo to be a starting FB in Chuds offensive system.

Plus Hartsock has played the FB position in this system before.

Archived