• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Newton starter vs Bengals, Week 1 starter TBD

Sword

The reality is this is a young team with holes that is going nowhere this year.

Cam is the future (That's what a #1 overall pick is) and Good, Bad or Ugly we'll ride this ship for the forseeable future. This years experience will pay dividends next and beyond.

No one should be surprised by this.

one thing I will say - I am excited to watch this game. We'll finally see what Cam can do with a full gameplan and a week of practice with the 1s. I really hope he comes out and lights it up, because I'd love nothing more than to be positive he is the best QB on the roster... I know many of you already are but I'm just not sold yet at this point.

Cam is the future (That's what a #1 overall pick is) and Good, Bad or Ugly we'll ride this ship for the forseeable future. This years experience will pay dividends next and beyond.

my problem is that was the same rationale used for starting Jimmy after moore struggled and other holes were exposed and my fear is that we'll throw another QB in too early. But I am just a worrier at heart :p

As much as a losing season seems like a reality this year you never really know until the season actually gets going..Win lose or draw I can only hope we don't look like a team that doesn't belong out there like last year.

my problem is that was the same rationale used for starting Jimmy after moore struggled and other holes were exposed and my fear is that we'll throw another QB in too early. But I am just a worrier at heart :p

It's up to our offensive line, our tandem at RB and play calling to make sure Cam succeeds.

Edit: Oh and Cam too.

that's the way i see it but if newton just tanks i'm thinking they go with anderson instead of clausen until cam is ready

It's up to our offensive line, our tandem at RB and play calling to make sure Cam succeeds.

Edit: Oh and Cam too.

it's also going to be up to our WRs.

It's basically going to come down to what it came down to last year.. can our line open holes and can it hold together long enough for our WRs to get open?

My hope is Cam's increased mobility will help a bit with the later. But a lot of it will depend on how fast Cam can learn on the job.

that's the way i see it but if newton just tanks i'm thinking they go with anderson instead of clausen until cam is ready

anderson has been flat out awful by all accounts... I think that is honestly why he isn't in the conversation.

it's also going to be up to our WRs.

It's basically going to come down to what it came down to last year.. can our line open holes and can it hold together long enough for our WRs to get open?

My hope is Cam's increased mobility will help a bit with the later. But a lot of it will depend on how fast Cam can learn on the job.

anderson has been flat out awful by all accounts... I think that is honestly why he isn't in the conversation.

Hopefully with Smitty and Olsen Cam will have 2 reliable safety nets.

there is no such thing as playing a qb to early, whether you sit a game or 4 years you have to at somepoint produce when live bullets are flying. every qb is going to struggle, the ones that succeed have a good support arrangement, are mentally tough & have the drive to get better

Hopefully with Smitty and Olsen Cam will have 2 reliable safety nets.

Yeah, I think he and Olsen are already developing a decent bond. Slightly better ball placement and he'll have Olsen streaking for TDs I think. I like what I've seen with him connecting with our TEs, and with Smitty out, hard to judge him on WRs.

I think RR made the correct decision. At the same time, it won't matter who is playing QB if we don't protect a bit better, and put some wide outs on the field that can get open. If Smitty goes down, we have nothing. Seems to me we have to go shopping for a 2nd WR.

As to Cam, I am very confident Chud can put together a good game plan to take advantage of what he does well. I believe it will look significantly better than what we have seen so far. We may not see it this week, but should week 1 against Arizona.

Archived