• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton

antame

so u really feel the coaches a more interested in having Cam rep out his arms and have a team "take their lumps" than winning? Cam isn't bad as a QB as many want to project him. He may not be 100% accurate as some want him to be but the coaches don't need to sacrifice a season because they want him to learn on the job. Cam has taken an offense that was dead last to the top 10 ten this season. I'd Cam's game is the least of this team's issues.

We are not a top 10 offense by any reasonable measure.

We are not a top 10 offense by any reasonable measure.

We certainly were today, anyway...

We're right on the edge season-long, as well. We're pretty far up there as far as TDs per drive goes, we've got a good 3rd down conversion rate, we have a piss ton of passing yards and are top ten in rushing yards. Basically, we do not have a ton of possessions compared to the NFL at all yet we do an OK job of making something out of them. We are weak in red zone offense, though that was better today too (2 FG, 3 TDs in 5 trips inside the red zone, much better than what we have done most of the year).

Most of the metrics that we are not near or in the top ten involve special teams or defense heavily some how (such as PPG and YPP, both of which are heavily influenced by special teams/defense contributions/number of possessions in the forum of points & field position).

Obviously we also have a decent number of INTs... =|

We certainly were today, anyway...

We're right on the edge season-long, as well. We're pretty far up there as far as TDs per drive goes, we've got a good 3rd down conversion rate, we have a piss ton of passing yards and are top ten in rushing yards. Basically, we do not have a ton of possessions compared to the NFL at all yet we do an OK job of making something out of them. We are weak in red zone offense, though that was better today too (2 FG, 3 TDs in 5 trips inside the red zone, much better than what we have done most of the year).

Most of the metrics that we are not near or in the top ten involve special teams or defense heavily some how (such as PPG and YPP, both of which are heavily influenced by special teams/defense contributions/number of possessions in the forum of points & field position).

Obviously we also have a decent number of INTs... =|

Not a reasonable measure, anyway...

we've strayed a bit.

lol, yes, I think they think that working Cam out as much as possible is the best bet now to win more in the future, not so much 'because he needs it', but because they think he will gain valuable experience for the future. They've basically said that. They also want this to be a *pass first* team, to the point where they want to be able to do whatever they want to opposing defenses at any point. Basically every signal they have given is basically that, as far as the offense goes this year, it's all about developing Cam Newton as a passer. I think they also feel that they have an offense in place that can win games doing that. Frankly, they're right... it's the defense mostly letting us down IMO.

They're apparently afraid of ending up with Mark Sanchez (no offense, I know you're a Jets fan).

I actually like Sanchez "go for it" attitude at times. He is who he is. Just like Cam, he's a gunslinger which is a risk/reward QB. I personally feel that when this team gels, Cam's high throws will be caught more just like that zinger he throw to Steve in the endzone to make it 10-0 game. It's understanding ur QB. I notice it with all receivers who gel with the QBs. Just because a lot of Tom Brady's Balls get caught doesn't mean they were all accurately thrown.

I'm now left to believe that folks who start these Cam Newton threads are only doing it for attention.

My, how we love to use this kid. I can bet u dollars to donuts none of the Bengal fans are posting thread after thread criticizing Dalton despite his three INTs. I'm sure Ponder is the same way. Heck, not even Blaine Gabbert is treated way better Cam by his fans and the guy can't seem to throw over 15 feet.

Here is a reality check... Once again, the Panthers defense giving up another 30 plus plus points to a team. IMO, it's seriously asking a lot from a rookie QB to put up higher numbers than what the defense is giving up every darn week without taking some chances with Cam slinging the ball.

yeah, but dalton and ponder aren't calling themselves icons and pointing to the big number "1" on their chest when they score

newton wanted the attention, now he's got it...but not because he's playing like an icon

He has certainly become an icon since we have fans from all over the fugging place coming here to talk about him and you all found this place despite it not being named Cam Newton Huddle, so I guess he's coming to represent the Carolina Panthers.

He's also clearly an entertainer as he's keeping the conversation about him going with his play.

Also he's ripping open his shirt to reveal the Superman S, get it right ;)

Total points and offensive effiency, I guess. I'm pretty sure we're working our way toward the bottom of the barrel, but maybe I'm wrong.

Total points we are 18th, but this is deceptive because total points includes things from special teams, and it doesn't factor in things like field position or number of possessions at all. Still, you are right that when it comes to total points we are outside the top 10. IMO, that is not just offense though they are a part of it, and that has to do with poor red zone efficiency in the last few weeks.

offensive efficiency depends how you define it. as of last week (and we're likely better this week, considering), we were 12th overall when it came to "Touchdowns per drive," and despite our 3 point effort the week before we were 14th when it came to "points per drive." Both of those will increase this week. For the majority of the season we were top 10 in both those measurements, but the titans game wrecked that for obvious reasons... so we may see a return to the top 10 there. Combined with how well we move the ball I think it is reasonable to call us a top ten offense. That is to say, I don't think it's a stretch at all...

You can check out http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats for some advanced stats. Not everybody likes them, but I think they show what I see in games: Our offense moves the ball pretty well, scores a decent amount though not as well as you'd hope given how well they move it, but our defense can't stop anything for it's life.

Now, yards-per-point (Net passing + Net Rushing/Total Points Scored) we are at 17.81, but today we had 11.4 or something, which is extremely good and if it was our average would put us at #2... obviously this was an exception and not the norm for us, but if we can get decent contributions in returns from special teams, and if our offense can keep improving it's red zone efficiency, that will increase too.

Archived