• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My morning, part 6

NanceUSMC

When I got to the donut shop this morning, Don was there already... He was pretty excited...

Don and I have maintaind a close friendship, and I still visit the donut shop several times a month, but it's been about 7 months since my last post regarding Don, so you may want to take a moment and read (or re-read) the other parts...

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

So now that you've caught up on the rest of the story, guess who is returning to Iwo Jima!!!

That's right! Don is headed back to the same beach he landed on 68 years ago...

He told me this morning that a sponsor for the trip had been found, and that he was heading tomorrow to get his passport expedited...

We spent the morning talking about just how he could bring sand back through Customs... He told me that he'd be stopping over in Hawaii on his flight out... I asked him if that's where he was when he learned the war was over... He told me they'd been returned to Hawaii after Iwo Jima to train for the invasion of Japan... He said that he was watching a movie with his company when an officer came out and announced that the war had ended... They didn't believe him until the next morning... That morning he told me about going to breakfast with Ira Hayes (from the flag raising)... They talked about what they would do after they got out... He told me stories about playing poker with Ira, and some of their buddies...

He is very excited, of course, and I couldn't be happier for him! He's got quite a bit of prep and planning to do, and March will be here before you know it... When he gets back I'll definitely be posting the pictures he takes...

very cool. I'm thinking he should just fill pockets on a packed pair of pants with sand...should be fairly easy to hide there...easier than a bottle or something. My daughter filled a water bottle with sand when we were in Mexico and that came back no problem.

Archived