• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2012 Mock Draft/Draft Prospects for the Hurricanes

Adam Kimelman Mock Draft

(4th Pick) Carolina Hurricanes Select Filip Forsberg

Filip Forsberg

Height: 6'1

Weight 176 lbs.

Shoots: Right

Position: Left Wing

Filip Forsberg (born August 13, 1994) is a Swedish professional ice hockey player who is currently playing for Leksands IF in the Allsvenskan. Forsberg was selected by HC Sibir Novosibirsk in the 2nd round (41st overall) of the KHL Junior Draft.

Stats

Leksand J18- 38 goals, 28 assists, 66 points, 50 games

Leksand U16- 13 goals, 4 assists, 17 points, 8 games

Dalarna (Rikspucken)- 4 goals, 3 assists, 7 points, 9 games

Leksand J20 (Super Elite League)- 21 goals, 19 assists, 40 points, 36 games

Sweden (2011 U18 World Junior Championship)- 4 goals, 2 assists, 6 points, 6 games (Silver Medal)

Leksand IF- 1 goal, 1 point, 10 games

Forsberg when he was a kid (only video I could find)

This draft is two players deep in my estimation. Yakupov and Griegorenko are the two prizes of this class. There are a few defenders like Murray and Dumba that have big time potential but we're not going defense again even if BPA situations dictate we should. If we miss out on the bottom two, which we likely will, and don't win the lottery and pick 3rd or 4th, I think JR goes Forsberg with the pick. JR notoriously has problems with Russians. I would keep an eye on Radek Faksa as a sleeper pick here too. Very strange class this one because there are ZERO North American forwards worth taking in the Top 5 picks and arguably the Top 10 picks. I can't remember the last time that happened.

This draft is two players deep in my estimation. Yakupov and Griegorenko are the two prizes of this class. There are a few defenders like Murray and Dumba that have big time potential but we're not going defense again even if BPA situations dictate we should. If we miss out on the bottom two, which we likely will, and don't win the lottery and pick 3rd or 4th, I think JR goes Forsberg with the pick. JR notoriously has problems with Russians. I would keep an eye on Radek Faksa as a sleeper pick here too. Very strange class this one because there are ZERO North American forwards worth taking in the Top 5 picks and arguably the Top 10 picks. I can't remember the last time that happened.

You are one hundred percent correct, I think he would take a flyer on Grigorenko; or at least I hope he would if he was available but JR is not a huge fan of Russian players. I suspect that he may shop the pick around if the three players mentioned above are off the board when we pick.

• 2 weeks later...

Hockey's future now ranks Grigorenko above Nail. I just don't want another defenseman and the top 10 is loaded with them. 6 of top 10 on hockeys future are D. Our minors really look to be stocked with very solid d's. I also don't want another center. I prefer right wing which means Nail but unless we draft at 2 and get lucky we won't get him I don't think. I just want us to get a natural wing and don't want to move a center over.

We also have Victor Rask, a center, playing for Calgary Hitmen (WHL) and he is playing great. This is his first year playing in North America, he was in Sweden last year. He currently has 46 points in 51 games. He could be in Raleigh next year. Another reason I don't want another center.

His stats...

http://whl.ca/roster/show/id/9242

Archived