• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Long Shadow of Chernobyl

mmmbeans

Yeah, that's a sad situation over there... for 5 of the last 6 years we've had a Belarussian girl (she's 14 now) come and stay with us for 6 weeks in the summer... she gets away from the area, gets better food, medical and dental care here, it's pretty cool. They are great people. They've told us that the children that are able to get out of country for just those 6 weeks a year add years to their lives.

Uh, aren't you Ukranian, ARSEN?

Yes, Yes I am and I'm proud of it. :D

My mom tells me about Chernobyl all the time. I don't remember because I was 1 month old. But she said she grabbed me and left for another country away from radiation cloud. I was like 500-700 miles away from Chernobyl and I got super lucky the wind blew away from where I were. More than 100,000 people died directly and its expected close to 100,000 more to die indirectly because of this accident. My grandpa died of leukemia. Doctors said that he was exposed to too much radiation not sure if Chernobyl related.

Archived