• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Major Bobcats Announcement Coming Soon?

Nobody wanted a "Cleveland deal" at the time because nobody cared about the Hornets in Charlotte the early 2000s. The new love affair with the Hornets didnt begin until it was announced who our new owner would be a few years later. It's nothing more than a local reaction to our founder. Until that point, there was no mention or push for the Hornets to remain in Charlotte. Ask John Morgan and the others where they were in 2002 and 2003? Where was their concern then? They had none. And in basketball years, 10 years is a looooooong time. There are many transplants, children, new fans, etc that have arrived in Charlotte since then, that have no ties or memories of the Hornets even playing here. They played in a totally different arena in a different side of town in the middle of nowhere near our airport. They were never a part of the new uptown Charlotte revitalization movement that is currently happening. The Bobcats have and will be remembered as a part of that growth and these times, not the Hornets. They represent the "old charlotte". The "new Charlotte" includes the Bobcats and TWC Arena, the Nascar HOF, the Epicentre, new AA Cultural Center, Levine Museum, etc. The Bobcats and TWC Arena have helped spearhead that growth that "Hornets nostalgists" take for granted and wont appreciate til its gone like their beloved Hornets.

I'll agree with you regarding the love affair with the Hornets did take a tremendous hit a year or two before the move. I believe that was in direct correlation with the hate for George Shinn.

What you fail to see is that the Hornets still had better attendance after the move was announced than the bobcats have now.

The city does not support the Bobcats and frankly never will. My kids won't be bobcats fans.

We dont need you or your kids support. Were doing just fine without it. You guys dont deserve to be Cats fans anyway. "Hornets nostalgists" should find another local boy like Shinn and start a new team. It says alot thats the best they have to offer. Lol. I guess theres no one else in this area as rich and savvy as him to own our team. Nobody from this area could save the Hornets or outbid Bob. We need outsiders to come in and save us.

We dont need you or your kids support. Were doing just fine without it. You guys dont deserve to be Cats fans anyway. "Hornets nostalgists" should find another local boy like Shinn and start a new team. It says alot thats the best they have to offer. Lol. I guess theres no one else in this area as rich and savvy as him to own our team. Nobody from this area could save the Hornets or outbid Bob. We need outsiders to come in and save us.

KT you are delusional. bobcats need all the support that they can get. They are one of the most irrelevant teams in all of American pro sports. The bobcats are only useful in providing highlight reels for other teams on ESPN.

You also are incorrect on "nobody from this area could save the Hornets or outbid Bob." ....I'm sure there were local grassroots movements to keep the hornets around when they were facing relocation, but the city held a public forum along with a vote on building a new arena. Shinn stated that he needed a new arena or there was a great possibility the team would leave. The vote was held and the citizens spoke loud and clearly. The vote wasn't close and the Hornets left soon after.

BS aside, do you live in mecklenburg county? (that's the county Charlotte is in)

The Bobs need a star player more than they need a casual fanbase that thinks the Hornets are the end all be all. Ever since this forum opened people have been insisting the Bobs need them. No they dont. Whether you go to the games or not the show will go on. If you dont want to ride with Charlotte's team so be it. Our lease ends in the 2020's, 1 less Hornets loyalists wont kill us. The Hornets nostalgists are like people who come to Sunday Service and stand up in front of the congreagation and yell "praise Allah!" It dont work like that people. You cant serve 2 masters. This is Bobcat Country now.

A person's name is their identity. You wouldn't like it if for 14 years everyone called you David, then everyone started calling you Teddy and expected you to embrace it. That's what happened with our Hornets name. Charlotte earned that name in the 1700s during the American Revolution and Shinn took it to New Orleans in 2002, and now we're being called the Teddycats...er... the Bobcats. We've lost our history, our identity, and if there is a chance to get it back we should. Maybe this video will help...

Mr. Touchdown where are you? Are you from Meck County?

Never question me about my city sir. I'm "Old School" Charlotte like BB Jamz and Stayin' Alive. West Fest. Spring Fest. What'cha know about City Fair? Flight 23 Shoe Store? Ever seen MJ play pickup games at the Grady Cole Center in the 80s? Gus The Bus? Fool I AM CHARLOTTE.

King Taharqa,

I could not disagree with you more, man. But, I also could not be more intrigued by wanting to know who you are and what made you get to these views you currently believe about the Bobcats...

I was born in Charlotte in '87 and have lived here my whole life except for college, and I can honestly say that of all the Charlotteans I have ever come across, I have never heard anyone who even remotely believes that the current Bobcats are a viable product. You come off as a guy who just follows with blind loyalty, someone who believes things are out of his control, and therefor it's easier to be a sheep than to fight. And if someone has a different view than you?...Well you call them a hater and someone who is not loyal to their city...

Dude! America was formed on freedom of speech and the ability for everyone to have an opinion. Options and opinions in life are meant to be weighed with pros and cons, and are meant to be done so in a communal atmosphere where people are open to ideas other than their own if it means achieving a greater good for something they love.

Hypothetically, if the Hornets name and colors came back and could restore some cultural pride and NBA history to our city in, say, 10 years...would you take that? Or are you just completely sold on the Bobcats and refuse to ever "consider" what COULD be better for your city, better for the franchise, better for the NBA etc...

Charlotte doesnt need the Hornets. Do you guys even keep up with how theyre doing now? They got their ass beat last night by the Clipps. Do you guys realize if you wanted to you could buy the Hornets right now because no one else will? Did you know the franchise is settled in debt and is ranked 26 out of 30? The way some of you guys talk its as if we change to the Hornets Muggsy is gonna walk thru that door. Like Kenny Gattison is gonna walk thru that door. Like Grandmama is gonna walk thru that door. They arent. Only you guys think the Hornets are "special", the rest of us know them and their history aint poo. Nobody cares that the Hive sold out when Daddy Bush was President. Thats ancient history. Walking round Charlotte discussing sports, Hornets Name change NEVER comes up. Its never "hey did you see Kobe last night? How bout them Hornets? Man if we could just get that name and fruity color scheme back theyd talk about us more than the Heat!" Never! Nobody is trippin off identity changes except a few people on the net. The movement is nowhere near grandscale. Ask John Morgan can he raise millions for his cause? Hell no. He has to beg the Bobs to change, and they wont. You guys need hard truth and tough love because you are our NBA markets weak links. You let the Charlotte Observer and Tom Sorenson fluff pieces gas you up to thinking the Hornets have a right to be here. He uses you for webhits and newspaper sales.

The time you're waisting on the Hornets you could be learning our founders story and the path he went to becoming an owner. You could be giving ideas to improve the culture we have. You could be demanding our newspaper give better coverage to our bball team instead of college teams that play 2 1/2 hours away. But that would take a certain level of understanding and pridevin your city and the people that you guys just dont have.

Archived