• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Major Bobcats Announcement Coming Soon?

Bobcats fans go to and congregate at TWC Arena

Charlotte Hornets loyalists go to and congregate at....? An empty lot on Tyvola Rd? Eastland Mall parking lot? In a Microtel Inn conference room? LMAO

You guys have no home, no money behind your movement, no leverage with the Bobs because you've alienated yourself from them trashing them and our founder for 8 years. You do have a few Charlotte Observer writers who are close personal friends of the Shinn family. You do have some retro snapback hats that are hot NOW, but will probably be played out in a year or so. Its a lost cause, but I admire the passion behind it.

Sigh. Dissecting your points doesn't work, offering logic as an alternative to your delusional grandstanding/message board bullying tactics doesn't work, so let's try a question: why do you seem to be the only person who feels as strongly as you do on your side of this issue, King? Why, when WFNZ posted a poll in regards to the change, did 90% of respondents support our initiative? Are 90% of this area's sports fans "sellouts" who "don't understand" the situation and "don't deserve" this team? Do 90% of us lack "pride in (our) city"? Be honest, is that really how you feel?

I was at the arena purchasing another 6 tickets for Friday's game yesterday. The guy in the box office noticed my shirt, and couldn't stop gushing about how much he supported our initiative. As I walked to my car, a couple scalpers said the same thing to me. It literally happens every time I leave the house in my teal and purple. As much as you might want to pretend it is, this little thing isn't isolated to a couple dozen mouth-breathers clicking away in their mamas' basements. I'm not saying we're going to ultimately get what we want, but that's not what's most important in the grand scheme of things. What's important is that a whole bunch of people feel a certain way, and we're doing our level best to make our opinions known. We feel like our proposal is the best thing for the city, for the team, and for the NBA at large, so we're pursuing every possible angle. We could spend our time pissing and moaning about things, or lobbing insults at people we don't agree with, but instead, we're buying tickets and having a party.

You can wallow in the negativity all you want. As for me, I'm gonna put on my white tux and get rowdy :D

The NBA is a global business John. Remember that. Good luck initiating multimillion dollar changes (that affect much more than Charlotte) on a grassroots level. If so many people are behind you, why cant you raise millions? Bob did. Until the Hornets loyalists respect what we build, we dont respect what they let slip away.

Hornet fans didn't let the team slip away and your support for Bob Johnson seems to outweigh just simply being a part of the Charlotte community. You always stress how important Bob and the business of the NBA is...but how about just the local community? A fan that puts a former owner and corporate business prowess ahead of its community is not a fan...regardless of the fuggin name.

"grassroots" level initiatives are what makes a fan interesting and interactive in response to this big old corporate conglomerate you so easily bow to.

The local community supports and patronizes the Bobcats. What team is this forum named after? A few idiots on WFNZ reminiscing about Kelly Tripucka and Allen Bristow does not constitute a city. The Hornets history isnt special or important, it doesnt represent Charlotte. It represents Louisiana. Funny thing is, instead of bashing Charlottes team, you guys should be on Louisiana based forum begging them. They hold stake to it. If the name was out of use, itd be one thing, but this would cost 2 teams a lot of $$$$. Better get some mills raised if you want to be taken seriously.

Its pretty funny how long this thread has been going considering how it started.

A serious question for the Hornets supporters: what exactly is your plan? I understand the reasoning behind wanting the Hornets name back, but New Orleans has that name and I doubt they are just going to give it up, so how do you plan on getting the name back?

Kt,

I said regardless of the name.

You seem intent on making it a fact that the Hornets have nothing to do with this town's history when that arena and team were the only pro sports this city had when it experienced it's major boom. It's a huge part of many people's lives and that's why there is a large emotional attachment. You can't deny that and it has nothing to do with the Bobcats you see today. If you want to pretend they never existed and support Bob Johnson even after he's gone that's completely fine...but just know you're talking to a wall.

The people who want the name think that Seattle (stretch #1) will get the franchise from NO and rename it the Supersonics thus leaving NO and then the name becomes available for a decent chunk of change. Highly unlikely but nostalgia is driving them and people really did love the hornets whole shtick.

Then there's most that simply respect the history and don't really care about this crap Bobcats team in Charlotte.

Then you have the Bobcats fans...They're looking to keep the name of course, strengthen it's reputation, and hopefully build a decent product down the road. Right now, they're the laughing stock of all of pro sports

Of course I live in Meck County. Do YOU live in Meck County? Did you attend Hornets game in the 80s? I did.

Yup. I live in Huntersville now but my folks have lived in Cotswold for 30 years. Used to love going to see the Hornets back in the day.

Bobcats just don't have the same buzz (pun inteded) that the Hornets had. You know this is true KT!

Its pretty funny how long this thread has been going considering how it started.

A serious question for the Hornets supporters: what exactly is your plan? I understand the reasoning behind wanting the Hornets name back, but New Orleans has that name and I doubt they are just going to give it up, so how do you plan on getting the name back?

The Seattle move is probably not going to happen, which I consider a good thing...I don't want to benefit from another city's misfortune. However, the NOLA fans have been clamoring for a rebrand ever since the Hornets came to town, and ever since the sale to the NBA, it's only intensified. They want to be rid of Shinn as badly as we want to be rid of Johnson; they feel like a fresh start would invigorate the fanbase...the parallels are all there.

If you have a minute, Google "rebrand the New Orleans Hornets". You'll see what I'm talking about.

I can't speak for everybody, but I feel like the best way to give both cities/teams what they seem to want/need (but what neither front office seems willing to acknowledge) is to exhaust every possible public forum available to us...you know, kind of a 'squeaky wheel gets the grease' mentality.

Hope that addresses your question! :)

I don't get the Bob Johnson love either. Michael Jordan is the owner now.

Names mean something, and to a great number of people in Charlotte (90% according to that WFNZ poll), the Hornets name means a great deal more to Charlotteans than the Bobcats name does.

Cleveland got their name back, we are just trying to get ours back as well.

How much money have you generated John? Or do you expect the Bobs to foot the bill? Are you asking for a handout?

MrTD, im obviously older than you. The Charlotte the Hornets played in was a big town. Todays Charlotte is a big city. When Hornets were huge there was 2 malls (most upscale store being Dillards) and carowinds. Downtown charlotte didnt exist. Panthers didnt exist. Thats all we had here for fun. If you think this is the same city as then, i dont know what to tell you. Nobody wants to be big town charlotte no more but hornets nostalgists. Everybody else is looking to the future of the city.

Archived