• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scout On Coples

unicar15

So he played hard against Virginia Tech? What about all those other games. I'm not big on excuses and he has tons of them. I would gladly take a less talented player with strong football charachter. The only reason Cam is a Panther is because his football charachter was off the charts. His throwing was not worthy of the no.1 pick but he made the front office believers.

Everyone made excuses for Peppers and even in his best seasons he was playing at 80% of his potential. Then you have guys like Jared Allen with less talent that lead the league in sacks.

Jared Allen has a TON of talent. The reason Pep doesn't lead the league in sacks every year is because of his versatility (and in part b/c of his motor). Still doesn't mean you pass on talent if you have the opportunity though...especially when talent plays for 3-4 million bucks a year instead of 16 million.

We have Hogan and Butler to plug into the CB position. Butler is a 2nd round talent and Hogan is a guy that we spent a 2nd round pick on last year. You don't just toss those guys to the side if it comes down to Claiborne and Coples. They are both equally talented IMO it just depends on if they are used correctly. Coples can literally play every position on the DL except for the NT in a 3-4. Is he going to be a 12-15 sack/year guy? Who knows? But the thing about him is that he has the potential to be a 15 sack/year player or a run stopper off the edge, or a force up the middle, or a guy that takes on 2 blockers to free up linebackers...because of his size and versatility he will be able to do lots of different things in Rivera's system. Like the scout said he can play the 3-4DE, 4-3DE, 4-3DT. There are probably only a handful of guys in the league can do that.

OK, I just watched his tape against VT, Miami and Missouri. The first 2 were good, the last one... holy crap. This guy DEFINITELY has a motor problem. It's so freaking obvious. There were plays where the running back ran straight passed him without even an attempted tackle.

the Missouri game exposed the defense and the coaches did not have them prepared for that spread attacking team. that game the DL and LBs had terrible angles and points of attack because of the wide open system Mizzo runs. but Coples did have a tfl and put pressure on the QB during that game.1 pressure even caused a TO INT to Brown, so to say he doesnt have a motor because he didnt attempt to make a tackle is horsecrap.

So he played hard against Virginia Tech? What about all those other games. I'm not big on excuses and he has tons of them. I would gladly take a less talented player with strong football charachter. The only reason Cam is a Panther is because his football charachter was off the charts. His throwing was not worthy of the no.1 pick but he made the front office believers.

Everyone made excuses for Peppers and even in his best seasons he was playing at 80% of his potential. Then you have guys like Jared Allen with less talent that lead the league in sacks.

I think what is a bit misleading is how much better does he make his teammates look.Doubling Peppers or Couples make someone elses job easier.I think CJ benefited from having Peppers

the Missouri game exposed the defense and the coaches did not have them prepared for that spread attacking team. that game the DL and LBs had terrible angles and points of attack because of the wide open system Mizzo runs. but Coples did have a tfl and put pressure on the QB during that game.1 pressure even caused a TO INT to Brown, so to say he doesnt have a motor because he didnt attempt to make a tackle is horsecrap.

It's not just one play dude. He was good in pressuring the QB but there were many plays against the run that left a lot to be desired. It wasn't about technique either, just an unwillingness to take on the blocker.

Of his whole career you choose to use the game were the whole team quite, including a pathitic coach, as evidence for a lack of motor?

Now if you said he is unproffesional for quitting on the team then fine ( though everyone did it ), but the motor thing is not fair on this game alone.

It's not just one play dude. He was good in pressuring the QB but there were many plays against the run that left a lot to be desired. It wasn't about technique either, just an unwillingness to take on the blocker.

it was technique/ coaching. Mizzou system is wide open and a defense must play in at least nickel package the entire game. UNC hardly did that, and at times ran a regular 4-3 or 3-4 sets and tried to match athlete for athlete.they got exposed and him playing the run is one of his best attributes 15 tfl backs that up. the entire team quit that game, players and coaches. they were not prepared.

Archived