• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2009 Draft, the way I see it...

NanceUSMC

Good analysis and I tend to agree with most of your opinions. I'm mainly excited about Brown and Goodson. These guys look primed to do big things.

Brown may actually (in some twisted way) be the key to retaining Pep long term (willingly)... It will take some of the pressure off of him from the media and fans, which is as we all know, something he shies away from big time...

Now, unwillingly, Pep needs to remember that the Panthers REALLY hold all the cards here, as 2010 is an uncapped year and we can simply franchise him again with fewer restrictions on our roster than we are having this year... Additionally, unless I just missed it (which is entirely possible), a cap limit hasn't been set yet for 2011 either... Which means we could potentially keep him til he's 32, and past his prime anyways...

*Advice to Julius*

Sign the contract... Enjoy the paychecks... Play your hardest... The rest will take care of itself...

Very nice write up, and opinion. I'm not about to attempt to grade this draft, but I like the fact we have upgraded our pass rush the way we did. Well worth a first round pick (upgrading the pass rush). Glad to see the Panthers are indeed looking for a replacement for Hoover (even though he just had the best season of his career).

Nice thread and you've been missed Nance! Can you please stick around and teach the younguns a thing or two???

I'm with you on this one!!

Ty ty bro...

I've passed my Youngster Teaching Torch on to Kurb though... Only people I argue with anymore are my kids and my wife... heh

Very nice write up, and opinion. I'm not about to attempt to grade this draft, but I like the fact we have upgraded our pass rush the way we did. Well worth a first round pick (upgrading the pass rush). Glad to see the Panthers are indeed looking for a replacement for Hoover (even though he just had the best season of his career).

Agreed! Listen, I'm a Hoover fan! Always have been... But he's gonna show age sooner rather than later, and the opportunity existed to get his eventual replacement (next year? 2011?) on the roster and let him learn the system... Almost a no brainer, IMO... Especially with such a high character individual... He's the kind of kid you like to have on the team...

It's also possible that we could have (*gasp*) seen the last of Hoover, as unfortunate and sad as it may be... Cutting him would save us a nice bit of change... Hate to see it happen, but would understand if it did...

I expect Peppers back. He really doesn't have much of an option, in my humble opinion.

With both Peppers and Brown rushing the QB, our defense improves dramatically.

Yup, and with the liklihood that 2010 (and 2011?) is an uncapped year, money becomes less of a factor... Heck, keep him til 2012 if that is the case, then franchise him a 4th time and trade him for whatever you can get... He'll be 32 or 33 by that time, and from a business standpoint the Panthers have gotten his best years...

Irvin is the only pick that had me scratch my head today.

I can see that... I was a bit unsure of him also... On a couple of the boards I use as player raters, he was the highest remaining DT at the time we took him, and on the others he was rated close enough that it wasn't a real 'reach'... I like his potential, but for him to reach it, he's gonna have to be open to coaching and hard work... If he does that, it's possible we have a nice find in him... If not, we could be looking for another DT next year to replace him...

For me, I wasn't crazy about the Munnerlyn pick... He's not overly fast... He's not overly productive... And he's had attitude issues... I think we could've done more with that pick, given what was left on the board... But I'm not in the war room, and I don't know what the team knows... And in the end, it's 'just' a 7th rounder... So what do I know, eh?

Archived