• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bobcats Rebrand Update Thread (Real Charlotte Fans-Censorship Free Edition)

Proudiddy

1. I don't feel entitled to tell Michael Jordan how to spend his money or run his franchise

Well, if you've put money towards MJ and our team, then you should. Customer is always right. See my responses to #3 and 6 for more details.

3. Charlotte walked away from the Hornets, not the other way around. They stopped supporting the team and everyone over the age of 25 at the time was glad to see them go.

And that's part of the problem now. People in their late 20s now didn't get a say in that then. How helpless do you think young fans felt. But, we had no voice... And the idiots that spoke for us practiced the same fairweatherness you accuse pro-rebranders of.

What an accomplishment. Thanks guys.

We let you decide what to do with our team and look how well it has worked out. We get another team, but... A sh*tty first owner who shat all over the fans, a crappy name, one playoff appearance that was the equivalent to Jake's meltdown against the Cardinals in the playoffs, if not worse, and the possibility of being the worst team in NBA history. But, we're 8 years in! Such storied success, how could we ever rebrand???

I'm tired of this, "We're Charlottean vets, leave it up to us, we know what we're doing" talk... Again, that's how we lost a team in the first place. Yet, you want me to trust you with what is best for this one? Let us have a shot, if it doesn't work then what's the worst that can happen? We lose a team? LOL.

4. I don't want anymore of Shinn's trash on my doorstep.

It doesn't belong to Shinn.

5. I support the Charlotte BOBCATS even when they're 7-10000.

So do I. But, not because they're named the Bobcats.

6. Clicking a button to vote yes is a lot easier than putting your money where your mouth is. Where is the donation button to help purchase the Hornets brand and bring it back from New Orleans? I refuse to get behind ar "grassroots" tea party/occupy movement where everyone gives lip service but no one is actually willing to sacrifice anything of their own to make it happen.

That is a hilarious argument, or lack thereof... They have plenty of my money from tickets, jerseys, and concessions over the years. Oh, and that's not to mention the tons of Jordan Apparel I own. I've already put plenty of money towards our owner and our team... Ask my wife, she's been thrilled about every single purchase, lol.

I think they can manage.

8. Black Panthers don't even exist, but our football team is named after one! Bobcats however do exist and are abundant in the North Carolina mountains.

This isn't relevant. Johnson was a horrible owner and named the team after himself. The Panthers aren't called the JerryCats. It's stupid. He's not our owner anymore. Yes, he bought the team, but any other ownership group could have been the winning bidders as they all had money. He botched up so much at the beginning that it has put us in a hole we're still trying to dig ourselves out of. So why does he deserve to have his name on this franchise? MJ is the owner. Let the fans decide the name, like they should've been able to do from the start.

It doesn't erase our history, it just signifies a fresh start.

9. I don't care for nostalgia or decisions based on emotion. There were no "good old days". We never made it past the 2nd round.

But what about all the great players we had? I hate Shinn, but at least we got a chance to see great players in our home uniforms. How many great players have the Bobcats had in our entire history? The Hornets just wouldn't keep them because Shinn was a cheap ass, but so was Bob, and unless MJ spends the money to rebrand or signs some key pieces once we get enough talented youth, he's been fairly frugal as well.

1. Damn, I missed where it says on my ticket that proceeds would go to support the rebranding of the Bobcats. If I'd known that, I wouldn't have wasted my money on Bobcats gear.

3. 15 year olds shouldn't get a say in anything, ever. That's half of what is wrong with you people is you've been catered to and feel entitled to something you've done nothing to earn.

4. Generally people no longer own their trash. That's why its trash, ownership has been relinquished. Dunno what your idea of trash is. Its Shinn's trash, and its about to be Benson's trash.

5. I don't like the name Bobcats. I like the name Hornets even less. Try again.

6. Once again, I was unaware that buying Hanes underwear came with the selling point that it would help fund the rebranding of the Bobcats. More entitlement complex. You bought shirts and tickets and shoes and you got shirts and tickets and shoes.

8. Bob Johnson made some bad decisions based on the advice of Ed Tapscott. That's why Tapscott was fired and there was a concerted effort to heal the damage done by him. Blaming Johnson just shows how ignorant you really are. C-Net, etc, all pushed for by Tapscott because he thought Charlotte was New York.

9. Yeah fug Gerald Wallace. He's a total assclown. The only "great" player Charlotte ever had was Zo, and Shinn swapped him for Glen Rice. More revisionist history. Don't even call Larry Johnson great, or Baron Davis. They were very good in their prime, but when you talk about great players you're talking about Patrick Ewing, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Hakeem Olajuwan, David Robinson, etc, and the only player that ever came close to being mentioned in the same breath as them was Zo. And that's pretty silly even then.

Sounds like revisionist history to me.....the city and casual fans basically told the Hornets "good riddance" and couldn't care less about bringing back the name at the time the new franchise was being formed. All the nostalgia is masking the fact that thing weren't so rosy when the Hornets were here. It seems like the movement is more about hate for the Bobcats than love for the Hornets, and is being driven by one horrid season (which almost everyone in here agreement as little as 12 months ago was supposed to be part of MJ's plan to destroy and rebuild).

I think I speak for most when I say I never told the Hornets 'good riddance'. I may have told Shinn good riddance. I never wanted the Hornets to leave, I don't want any sports francise to leave the place it was born in. All I want is the name, thats it, its a matter of pride of the area, of the State. That name was given to the area of Charlotte for a reason. That's why I want it. I don't want it to remember the old Hornets, I don't want to cover up the Bobcats, however a rebrand back to something that is concrete as something that a city and area can get behind, will put more behinds in the seats. After all a lot that is taken away from sports is pride. I'm proud of my Bobcats win or lose. A lot of people lost that pride when the Hornets left.

1. Damn, I missed where it says on my ticket that proceeds would go to support the rebranding of the Bobcats. If I'd known that, I wouldn't have wasted my money on Bobcats gear.

No, but being that you want to act like an idiot when it's convenient, what your "proceeds" do go towards is MJ's pockets. And by going into his pockets, they consequently go towards improving the product your paying for. Therefore, if you want a change that would offer positive returns for the product, it should be heard and applied.

3. 15 year olds shouldn't get a say in anything, ever. That's half of what is wrong with you people is you've been catered to and feel entitled to something you've done nothing to earn.

Is this the same angle you take with your love interests?

And the problem with old farts, no matter how hip they think they are, is they lose the imagination, hope, and dreams of a child (or even someone in their late teens).

Like I said, you got to hold the steering wheel last time, and you totaled the car and took out 20 others in the process. Let us former 15-year olds handle it this time, you had your turn.

4. Generally people no longer own their trash. That's why its trash, ownership has been relinquished. Dunno what your idea of trash is. Its Shinn's trash, and its about to be Benson's trash.

It isn't Shinn's trash. Technically it's Bensons. And I don't know if they say this around your retirement home very often, but I think you guys invented a saying back in the late 1800s that goes a little something like, "one man's trash is another man's treasure." So technically, again, the Hornets isn't even trash... It's actually a very valuable antique looking to be restored. It is Charlotte's treasure.

5. I don't like the name Bobcats. I like the name Hornets even less. Try again.

Did you say you don't like the Bobcats? And you want to rename them the Flight? Traitor! Racist! Non-fan!

6. Once again, I was unaware that buying Hanes underwear came with the selling point that it would help fund the rebranding of the Bobcats. More entitlement complex. You bought shirts and tickets and shoes and you got shirts and tickets and shoes.

See response to #1, if failure to comprehend occurs, please enroll in your local community college's Business 101 class or a related economics course immediately.

I'm sure MJ doesn't see a dime of money from Bobcats merchandise and Jordan apparel that sell for 10x what it took to produce them in sweatshops in third world countries.

8. Bob Johnson made some bad decisions based on the advice of Ed Tapscott. That's why Tapscott was fired and there was a concerted effort to heal the damage done by him. Blaming Johnson just shows how ignorant you really are. C-Net, etc, all pushed for by Tapscott because he thought Charlotte was New York.

Who is your source? Did Tapscott tell him to name them the Bobcats too? Did Tapscott tell him to send the team off so his daughter could play 'my little pony'? Yeah, you're right... Tapscott was behind it all and poor little BJ was left to take the fall. Poor wittle BJ was completely innocent... I'm sure he earned his millions of net worth by allowing others to make all the decisions for him too.

That's bullsh*t and you know it.Tapscott was just another mistake in a rich, but short history of them... All at the hands of Bob. To relieve Bob of any accountability or responsibility shows how ignorant you are. But nice try.

9. Yeah fug Gerald Wallace. He's a total assclown. The only "great" player Charlotte ever had was Zo, and Shinn swapped him for Glen Rice. More revisionist history. Don't even call Larry Johnson great, or Baron Davis. They were very good in their prime, but when you talk about great players you're talking about Patrick Ewing, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Hakeem Olajuwan, David Robinson, etc, and the only player that ever came close to being mentioned in the same breath as them was Zo. And that's pretty silly even then.

Where did I say Gerald sucked? I've stated numerous times between here and every other Bobcats fan board I've been apart of that I was a fan of his since I was a teenager and read about him when he was a high schooler in Slam. I followed what was going on with him from Alabama to Sacto the best I could... And we didn't even have a team here in North Carolina for a few of those years. So, great job making a jackass out of yourself on that one. If anyone is a Crash fan, it was me.

That being said, looking at it objectively, he was not great. I don't even know that I would classify Zo as being great, as you suggested he may be. If anything, none of them were great but Zo was close. My point is that we had more players in that "almost great" category than we've ever had with the Bobcats. And I'm not even sure Crash is "almost great." He's really good, but what endeared him to all of us was his constant improvement, his toughness, his heart, and his athleticism.

Now, what did he win? Nothing of note. He couldn't even get us to the playoffs until we brought in two other very good players (Chandler and Jack). You can negate the impact of Chandler though, LB hated him and wouldn't use him, but my point remains.

Now, let's look at the Hornets... Zo, LJ, Eddie Jones, Glen Rice, Baron Davis... Then the next tier - Chapman, Tripucka, Divac, Muggsy, Dell, Brad Miller, Anthony Mason, Derrick Coleman (pre-fat potential). Elden Campbell, PJ Brown, Phills, and some others I don't feel like remembering...

Now out of that first group, each of those guys likely could lead their team to the playoffs with them being the "franchise player" in their prime. We have not had one player like that in Bobcats history. I doubt anyone was more pissed than me when we traded Crash, but we had to in order to rebuild, as much as I didn't want to admit it at the time. The problem is, all of us as Bobcats fans overvalued Crash because he was the only really good player we ever had and was always surrounded by crap. We "romanticized" our idea of the type of player Crash was. It's sad.

As much as you try to accuse others of "revisionist history," you may want to look at the version you're writing yourself.

all i got out of that is you feel entitled to tell jordan to spend millions of dollars rebranding because you bought some 10$ tickets to see the bobcats

entitlement is rarely recognized by those that feel entitled

you come across as a 13 year old that expects to be paid for doing chores when you already have a roof over your head and food on your plate

Archived