• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jr4's Long A** Pre-Draft Mock

jramsey4

I am very nuetral about the off-season so far. I'm not however one of those people who believes we should sign every top flight free agent that becomes available. The release of Wharton instead of Davis puzzles me. I would have cut him and restructured Wharton and then signed Jason Jones (who signed a reasonable 1 yr deal) but the bed has been made. So with that said lets mock some draft action.

Draft:

1st Round: David Decastro G

The realease of Wharton really cemented the need to draft Decastro at 9 IMO. The number of people that count this as a possibility you could probably count on one hand but it just makes too much sense to me. You don't go and release a good player unless you have a plan to replace him (which I hope is not what we have already signed). The "G's don't go top 10" argument is no argument at all. In almost every mock I have seen he goes to the Chiefs at 11 so a whole 2 spots later. Decastro is the best G prospect in a decade and is the only player that will be available that will be elite day 1. Every other prospect people want based on potential but they all have question marks. Decastro does not. He is an elite prospect and the only one that will be available when we pick. BPA and at a position of need. No brainer to me. And for you Brockers fan boys out there check out my 4th round pick.

2nd Round: Trumaine Johnson CB

I would trade back to the end of the 2nd and aquire a 4th and 5th and select Tru here. As I have said all offseason 6'2 205 lbs Trumaine Johnson is my Fav CB prospect in this draft. He is a converted receiver and thus has tremendous ball skills and at his size he can fight for the ball. He has excellent potential in both man and zone (however he is very inexperienced in zone) and hes big enough to cover just about any receiver. Doesn't have elite speed (4.50) but can keep up with all but the fastest receivers. He plays with physicality in the run game but to often goes for the big play instead of wrapping up. Johnson has the potential to be one of the best DB's in this draft.

5th round Pick 1: Devon Wylie WR/KR

Playmaker is the best way to describe Wylie. Wether at WR or KR he has some insane change of direction skills that have broken a ton of ankles. A lot of people compare him to Welker but he is one of a kind. I have never seen such crazy COD skills and his sub 4.4 40 puts him at a higher top end speed as well. What makes him even more impressive is how pateint he is at setting up his moves waiting to the best time to make a guy miss. We have already shown interest in him and I can't wait to see how Chud gets this kid the ball. Beast here folks.

I don't really see a the need to target a QB late. We have Cam who is young so why do we need to groom a QB who in theory would never see playing time under Cam.

I guess I'd take Thomas if we wanted to target one in the 7th but Jefferson would be off my radar altogether.

not sure why so many people have ANY interest in darron thomas/jordan jefferson. they are downright awful.

I love how posters on here year in and year out say a guy is bad or awful and give absoulutley no reasoning as to why they think so. Thats like me calling you an idiot having never met you. Thomas has all the athletic ability in the world and can excel in our O. He has a pretty strong arm and at times has uncanny ball placement. The only thing I question because I honestly don't have enough info is how much love he has for the game. BTW I said the exact same thing about Cam last year. If Thomas has the kind of work ethic as Cam thats a no-brainer to me you take him at 6th.

I don't really see a the need to target a QB late. We have Cam who is young so why do we need to groom a QB who in theory would never see playing time under Cam.

I guess I'd take Thomas if we wanted to target one in the 7th but Jefferson would be off my radar altogether.

I don't want Thomas as a starter, Cam has that Job just as well as any QB in the league (Rodgers, Brady, Brees included). He is an ideal backup for Cam. If we develop him behind Cam and he gets some playing time we could be looking at a Cassel/Shaub type trade situation.

I don't want Thomas as a starter, Cam has that Job just as well as any QB in the league (Rodgers, Brady, Brees included). He is an ideal backup for Cam. If we develop him behind Cam and he gets some playing time we could be looking at a Cassel/Shaub type trade situation.

I realize that, never said you did. But I don't see a need in drafting a QB especially of the "caliber" of Thomas. It's not like he is the ideal prospect where he'd be head and shoulders over a UDFA QB. I feel like it be better used on a position of need.

I realize that, never said you did. But I don't see a need in drafting a QB especially of the "caliber" of Thomas. It's not like he is the ideal prospect where he'd be head and shoulders over a UDFA QB. I feel like it be better used on a position of need.

He's the ideal prospect for us. There is no other team in the league as focused on the dual-threat QB as us. Which is why he will go this late. Who is a better fit in this draft (aside from maybe RG3)?

You don't need to be a dual-threat QB to be in this offense. That's just an added bonus for Cam.

Ask the Falcons how that worked out for them. The O will inevitably add more and more plays trying to take advantage of Cams uncanny athletism. Players will be brought in to maximize that ability as well. With that kind of investment the backup QB needs to be dual-threat as well.

Well then we need to get rid of Anderson and Clausen.

I really doubt Chud is going to make such increase in running plays, we are trying to protect Cam. I'll take the occasional read option and QB sneak near the goal line but this offense isn't going to turn into anything much different. Yes, the offense is designed to take advantage of Cam's strengths and abilities but he is one hell of thrower who likes to stay in the pocket and only as a last resort, takes off. It's nice that he is mobile and can withstand hits but we aren't going to go out of our way to increase those possibilities.

Our backup QB isn't going to be required to come in and run all the stuff that Cam does in terms of the read option. He will need to be able to understand the system and be able to take advantage of the vertical passing game but the dual-threat is just really an added bonus.

I love how posters on here year in and year out say a guy is bad or awful and give absoulutley no reasoning as to why they think so. (1)Thats like me calling you an idiot having never met you. Thomas has all the athletic ability in the world and can excel in our O. (2)He has a pretty strong arm and at times has uncanny ball placement. The only thing I question because I honestly don't have enough info is how much love he has for the game. BTW I said the exact same thing about Cam last year. If Thomas has the kind of work ethic as Cam thats a no-brainer to me you take him at 6th.

1. not at all

2. no

didn't think i would need to explain why they are downright awful. they can't throw the ball ANYWHERE NEAR an nfl level. more-so jefferson, but darron thomas is not that great either.

either way, i'd rather have derek anderson play.

Archived