• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Network Draft grade & Delhomme

raleigh-panther

For what its worth, Mike Lombardi, Terrell Davis

...stated the obvious, much hinges on how well E. Brown does.

Gave the Panthers a C+ for not addressing the QB 'issue' with Delhomme.

Said, team was fairly set except for QB.

Said team will not advance until that issue is addressed.

Said we were severely cap strapped...duh.

I quess star QBs grow on trees.

Oh well...just fodder for a slow day.

Honestly, its the number 59 pick that troubles me, why that guy, with an injury history, over the guy ranked much higher by scouts, sean smith, just don't get it.

How am I, just a PSL holder, not a Panthers scout.

I've seen them do this before however.

Because Sean Smith is soft.

From Scouts Inc, S. Martin

Sherrod Martin | CBScouts Inc. Grade: 79PICK INFO

TEAM ROUND PICK

Carolina Panthers 2 27(59)

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 198 lbs

Overall Rank: 61

Position Rank: 8

College: TROY

Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team|All Ranked Players|NFL Draft History

Scouts Inc. Player Evaluations

ProfileNewsESPN LocalBlog NetworkGrading Scale ConversationESPNDB

Overall Football Traits

Production 2 2003: Sat out the season. 2004-'05: Martin starts 23 games accumulating 146 tackles including 9.5 tackles-for-loss and one sack. He also records five interceptions, 16 passes broken up, two fumble recoveries and three forced fumbles. 2006: Martin undergoes surgery on both shoulders in spring and receives a medical red shirt. 2007-'08: Martin starts 19 of the 23 games he appears in accumulating 146 tackles including nine tackles-for-loss and three sacks. He also records four interceptions, seven passes broken up, six forced fumbles, and one fumble recovery. Martin earns first team All-Sun Belt conference honors in 2008.

Height-Weight-Speed 3 Adequate top-end speed and excellent height but lean for frame.

Durability 4 Missed the entire 2006 season after having surgery on both shoulders in the prior spring. Missed two games with a broken hand and limited in two others in the beginning of the 2007 season.

Character 2 No off-the-field or academic issues to our knowledge. Majoring in Business Management.

Defensive Corner specific Traits

Recognition Skills/Toughness 4 Instincts are marginal and he frequently bites on play action/pump fakes. Strong effort and finishes to the whistle. Adequate upper body strength but doesn't play with enough of a mean streak.

Closing Burst 3 High center of gravity makes it tougher to stay low and transition out of backpedal. However, good short-area burst when closing on the ball and above-average recovery speed.

Fluidity 3 Displays some tightness in his hips when changing directions and man-to-man skills are marginal. However, can turn and run with receivers. Does a nice job of latching onto theirs hip and squeezing them to the sideline.

Ball Skills 3 Does a nice job of attacking the ball when in the air. Uses long arms to shoot hand between the ball and the receiver. Possesses just average hands and would like to have seen more big plays considering level of competition.

Run Support 4 Drag-down tackler that can get the ball crier to the ground but isn't going to deliver many big hits. Appears to shy away from contact and can do a far better job of getting off blocks. Not an in-the-box safety if asked to line up there.

Trait Scale

1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

Hopefully they saw something in him that others didn't. Honestly, this was one of the weakest QBs drafts I've seen since I've started paying attention to the draft. Of the 3 top picked QBs, none of them are immediatly NFL ready. I think picking up Cantwell is just as good as anything on the board past Freeman.

To be fair, we didnt need an "NFL ready" QB, we needed a guy to groom. No one's coming in here and taking over overnight. The next franchise QB of the Panthers will not be drafted, but is currently a backup somewhere in the league now. We're out to prove that you can build a dynasty with undrafted QBs and journeymen. LOL.

From Scouts Inc, S. Martin

Sherrod Martin | CBScouts Inc. Grade: 79PICK INFO

TEAM ROUND PICK

Carolina Panthers 2 27(59)

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 198 lbs

Overall Rank: 61

Position Rank: 8

College: TROY

Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team|All Ranked Players|NFL Draft History

Scouts Inc. Player Evaluations

ProfileNewsESPN LocalBlog NetworkGrading Scale ConversationESPNDB

Overall Football Traits

Production 2 2003: Sat out the season. 2004-'05: Martin starts 23 games accumulating 146 tackles including 9.5 tackles-for-loss and one sack. He also records five interceptions, 16 passes broken up, two fumble recoveries and three forced fumbles. 2006: Martin undergoes surgery on both shoulders in spring and receives a medical red shirt. 2007-'08: Martin starts 19 of the 23 games he appears in accumulating 146 tackles including nine tackles-for-loss and three sacks. He also records four interceptions, seven passes broken up, six forced fumbles, and one fumble recovery. Martin earns first team All-Sun Belt conference honors in 2008.

Height-Weight-Speed 3 Adequate top-end speed and excellent height but lean for frame.

Durability 4 Missed the entire 2006 season after having surgery on both shoulders in the prior spring. Missed two games with a broken hand and limited in two others in the beginning of the 2007 season.

Character 2 No off-the-field or academic issues to our knowledge. Majoring in Business Management.

Defensive Corner specific Traits

Recognition Skills/Toughness 4 Instincts are marginal and he frequently bites on play action/pump fakes. Strong effort and finishes to the whistle. Adequate upper body strength but doesn't play with enough of a mean streak.

Closing Burst 3 High center of gravity makes it tougher to stay low and transition out of backpedal. However, good short-area burst when closing on the ball and above-average recovery speed.

Fluidity 3 Displays some tightness in his hips when changing directions and man-to-man skills are marginal. However, can turn and run with receivers. Does a nice job of latching onto theirs hip and squeezing them to the sideline.

Ball Skills 3 Does a nice job of attacking the ball when in the air. Uses long arms to shoot hand between the ball and the receiver. Possesses just average hands and would like to have seen more big plays considering level of competition.

Run Support 4 Drag-down tackler that can get the ball crier to the ground but isn't going to deliver many big hits. Appears to shy away from contact and can do a far better job of getting off blocks. Not an in-the-box safety if asked to line up there.

Trait Scale

1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/Sherrod-Martin.php

We already have our QB. Sure Jake will need to be replaced in a couple of years, but the people who think we can't win with him are just freaking out over one bad game, which BTW, not one of them saw coming regardless of what they are saying after the fact.

There should be a good selection of QBs for you guys to grab next year... crap, well not sure about the 2nd rounders again :/... only 3 QBs with a 1st round stock this year.

We wont take a QB next year either. We extended Jake Delhomme for a reason. The last thing the Panthers want is a "QB controversy". They will NOT bring anybody in here who is better or has more upside than Delhomme. You can take that to the bank. Jake is the "saviour" of Carolina, this team belongs to him and he will be here until he decides to retire.

I think Pat White's ability to scramble and extend a play would have been a nice fit. Thats mainly the main problem with Jake is his inability to consistently extend a play. Smith is a top 5 receiver in the NFL and with just a bit more time for him to eat coverages, Smith could really produce 1,800+ yard seasons and his QB would be granted over 3,000... even with your potent ground game.

I almost wonder if Pat White would have been a better move then Brown, guess you can only fill one need at a time though. I know a few Bucs fans who were high on Everette Brown, so with that said... I guess we all have our own opinions. I'm just glad the Bucs grabbed Freeman in the 1st instead of someone else we'd have to groom. Freeman, was the perfect fit for our offensive scheme (whether it takes a year to groom him or not, he's only 21 years old and has a huge arm)

Archived