• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Mini Camp Thread....(updated Sunday)

Zod

Observation One: Shouldda brought my notebook :(

There’s only so much you can tell by watching drills in helmets and shorts. Also, thanks to an early eye appointment, I didn’t get to see the whole thing. Probably the best thing I can do is just list players who I saw do something noteworthy and what they did that caught my eye.

Steve Smith: I swear, there just aren’t enough superlatives. There’s no such thing as “offseason shape” with Smith. He is in game shape year round. He put on some moves today – most notably on Chris gamble and against C J Wilson on an out route – that were textbook Smitty. He doesn’t look to have lost a step, at least not right now.

Gary Barnidge: Caught everything thrown to his area and looked good doing it. Mind you, Jeff King had some nice catches too, but this kid could be worth a look this season.

Kenny Moore: Speaking of guys that caught everything thrown to them, Moore did just that and made it look easy. Jason Carter, on the other hand, was a little inconsistent. Things might change when the pads go on, but Moore vs Carter for fifth receiver is a battle I’m keeping in the back of my mind. Ryne Robinson also dropped a very catchable ball (and dropped a very loud F-bomb immediately thereafter).

Larry Beavers: Had a nice diving near-catch at the corner of the end zone. In season, it might have gone to review to determine if it were a TD. Fast as the wind and was catching punts in ST time, but boy does his frame look slight. By contrast, Kevin McMahan has arms that make you think he could rip a phone book in half.

Kevin Brock: had a nice catch or two out there today as well. More action to the tight ends than past practices I’ve seen. Wonder if that’s an indicator of things to come.

Duke Robinson: If this career doesn’t pan out, he could probably find work as a garage door. He’s wide, for certain. Didn’t get to see the Uglys as close as I would have liked, but he’s one you’ll notice. Gerald Cadogan also looks huge, but I didn’t see him much in action.

Mike Goodson: Wasn’t doing much from what I saw. Might be recovering from something. He looks thinly built. Hope he isn’t an Eddie Kennison type guy.

Dan Connor: Looks thicker than I remember. Wonder if he bulked up while he was rehabbing.

Captain Munnerlyn: Looks even smaller in person than his listed size, but I’ll take their word for it.

Mortty Ivy: The WVU product looked to have caught a deflected pick from a ball that bounced off a receiver’s hands (Moore to Carter if I remember right on the pass, but don’t hold me to it). Looking at his name, I think his mom gave him the extra ‘t’ that I left out of my screen name.

Everette Brown: Looks the part. Saw him rush against Geoff Schwartz one on one in a drill and get stalemated, but in fairness the pass was off quick (from Moore, I think). Coaches had him working with the punt block unit on ST. Nice guy who talked to a fan or two after practice.

Defensive Tackles: While Brown was working with STs, new DL coach Brian Baker had the DTs working on hand drills, simulating things like swim moves. Most of what I remember Sunseri doing was straight ahead “Oklahoma” type drills. Looks like baker may get more into teaching techniques. Kemo and third rounder Corvey Irvin, among others, looked to be taking it in pretty well.

Sherrod Martin: Also looks the part. Did okay from what I saw of him but got pretty badly walled out by Moose on one drill. New secondary coach Ron Milus was on him like white on rice a second later. But hey, that’s what it takes to learn.

Tony Fiammetta: I’ll refer to him from here on out as “Placido Fullbacko” since I learned just last night that his full name is Placido Anthony Fiammetta. Don’t know if he can sing tenor, but he can definitely block and is a decent runner. He and Hoover look like shape twins standing next to each other.

Quarterbacks: Delhomme is definitely the best looking of the QBs overall, but at least at this stage, there’s not as much dropoff going to McCown and Moore as you might think. When it gets to live ammo, that may change, but today they all looked decent. Hunter Cantwell looked like you’d expect a rookie in his first minicamp to look. Helmet off, he looks like a high school kid.

One big difference: I hardly ever noticed Mike McCoy on the field at prior training camps. I doubt I could even have told you where he was. From what I can remember, Jake spent most of his sideline time with Davidson, not McCoy. Rip Scherer is a different story. It looks to me like he’ll be much more of an activist as a coach. I know he’s louder than McCoy, because I heard his voice more than once (loudest when he was congratulating McCown on the timing of a pass).

Atmosphere: If you thought the volume knob might go down a notch with Sal Sunseri gone, think again. The team’s new defensive coaches seem overall to be a much louder bunch than their predecessors. Also, as was suggested previously, looks like there will be a lot more emphasis on teaching than in the past.

Didn’t see much of Williams or Stewart today. And of course, some guys were held out.

Heard from a guy I talked to that there’s another practice this afternoon (2:30 maybe). Think I’ll head back out there if it doesn’t rain.

That’s all for now. More later.

Speaking of Munnerlyn, when I worked in the Football study hall at Carolina, Munnerlyn was there most nights I was. He is every bit of his listed size, although its not much.

He's got work ethic too. He always had his nose in a book and was doing what he was supposed at study hall, opposed to other guys who wanted to just goof off.

I don't think Brown is going to start this season. The fact that he's not even working with the first team even with Pep sitting out should demonstrate that.

It's only one practice in shorts...I wouldn't read too much into who lined up with the starting units.

Archived