• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2012 NHL Draft Thread (All Hurricanes Picks)

Olson says he models his game after Pekka Rinne.

I can imagine it now

Cam Ward as Cam Ward

Daniel Altshuller as Roberto Luongo/Carey Price

Collin Olson as Pekka Rinne

That looks like some solid goalies next year.

I expect Altshuller to make the team next year as Brian Boucher will become a UFA.

By the way, we also have John Muse who is a two time NCAA Champion with the BC Eagles and a ECHL Champion with the Florida Everblades.

Muse's list of accomplishments

• 2011 Kelly Cup Playoffs MVP
  • 2011 Recipient of the Walter Brown Award, given to New England’s Best American-born Division I College Hockey Player
  • 2011 Recipient of Boston College's "Outstanding Senior Male Scholar-Athlete Award."
  • 2010-2011 ACHA 2nd team All-American
  • Named Beanpot Tournament MVP in 2010, playing in the classic college hockey tournament. Also awarded the 2010 Eberly trophy, given annually to the goalie with the best save percentage in the Beanpot tournament.
  • Hockey East First-Team All-Star (2010–11)[9][10]
  • 2007 co-winner of the Bernie Burke Outstanding Freshman Award
  • Holds BC records in saves (3,696), games played (144), and single season saves. (1,171, 2007–2008)
  • NCAA All Tournament Team 2008, 2010
  • Hockey East All Tournament Team 2008, 2010, 2011

Muse will most likely be the starting goalie for the Charlotte Checkers if the team chooses not to re-sign Justin Peters.

Rotoworld on Di Gi

The Carolina Hurricanes have selected Phil Di Giuseppe with the 38th overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.

Few players have an impact their first year in the NCAA, but Di Giuseppe had a great freshman campaign. While his numbers weren’t striking, he was a coach favourite and received regular ice-time. One of the youngest players in college hockey, Di Giuseppe is a solid skater who stays low to the ice and is strong with the puck. He couples his high-end skill with great vision and the ability to find the open man. He needs to become more disciplined on the defensive end, as he tends to leave his man at times. He could eventually develop into a two-way forward capable of playing for the Carolina Hurricanes.

Brock McGinn

TSN rank: #59

Position: LW

Size: 5'11/174

Team: Guelph Storm

Born: Feb 2nd, 1994

Stats: 19Pts (12G, 7A) in 33 Games

Bob McKenzie's take:

Brock is a hard edged player who competes with the idea that nothing else matters but winning so I will do whatever is needed to help my team win. He gets involved physically along the boards, in the corners, at the net and he simply doesn't know what the word quit means. He is a smart player and knows what he can bring to help the team win. He skates well and is capable of contributing if the game is tilted towards skill and pace or a rumble in the jungle. He can contribute offensively and he has good awareness and knows how to compliment the efforts of others. When the puck is dropped at the beginning of the game, Brock is not a player a coach needs to worry about. He will size up the game and know what must be done at any particular time and regardless of the challenges that may be faced, he will be ready to meet those challenges. He's a player who finds his way onto winning teams because his contributions are valued.

Note: Brock McGinn is the younger brother of Colorado Avalanche winger Jamie McGinn and Philadelphia Flyers prospect Tye McGinn.

People from HF Boards and Hockey's Future expects McGinn to have a Chad LaRose/Patrick Dwyer type of career.

I think we gave up too much for Staal....unless there's a contract deal in there somewhere.

Sutter was a stud in two way play and an associate captain...AND we give up the 8th as well AND a d prospect?

Pittsburgh will be a force next year.

Archived