• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Of Hangman and Gross

Kurb

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/fa/ol.html

Understand I think the priority lies with Peppers #1 Gross #2 right now in signing.

Now, clicky da link.

Notice what I notice ?

Marc Columbo just signed a deal to stay a Cowboy.

No one else really comes close to Jordan Gross at the LT spot. It is an incredibly week OL class coming out in free agency. This folks is BAD for us.

Last year I would guess we offered him a bit less than the deal Fozell "False Start" Adams got in Dallas, Gross and his agent were smart in waiting to see what happened. He is arguably the hands down best FA OT on the market heading into the offseason, and with the money some teams have to throw around this is a bad thing for us. If we can't reach a deal with Gross I feel the only move left (assuming we have signed Pep) is to Tag him again, and use the "non-exclusive" fanchise Tag. (Jared Allen last offseason). That said, I STILL wouldn't be surprised if someone came after him who is desperate for an Offensive Tackle, which would leave us with EXCELLENT compensation for a upper middle LT.

Moving down our priotiry list #3 (IMO) HAS to be Hangartner. Guy can play LG C RG. That folks is tremendous oppritunity for a team needing either. While he isn't in the teir of some of the bigger name guards, I could see a team throwing decent bank at him.

Thoughts ?

Hangman might have played his way into mid-level starting money on some teams. Kalil being back in AND continuing to push around good DL's like he did Monday could show other teams that Hangman is pretty good but maybe not quite good enough to warrant a decent contract.

It is probable that his agent would advise him not to sign an extension until they gage the interest from other teams as a starter. I think the FO wants him to stay really bad and Bridges screw up(s) off the field could make someone like Hangman even more valuable next season. He sort of has us where he wants us (like Gross) and there is not much we can do right now.

Hangman might have played his way into mid-level starting money on some teams. Kalil being back in AND continuing to push around good DL's like he did Monday could show other teams that Hangman is pretty good but maybe not quite good enough to warrant a decent contract.

It is probable that his agent would advise him not to sign an extension until they gage the interest from other teams as a starter. I think the FO wants him to stay really bad and Bridges screw up(s) off the field could make someone like Hangman even more valuable next season. He sort of has us where he wants us (like Gross) and there is not much we can do right now.

I agree fully.

Bridges isn't helping himself or us at all by getting into trouble (grant this last time it seems to have found him).

Such an exciting offseason, AND we get the playoffs. :Angel_anim::Angel_anim::Angel_anim:

All I know is that I feel that Gross and Peppers like playing in Carolina and want to stay in Carolina. At the end of the day, I think/hope that they both will take deals to stay even if those deals are lower than what they could get eleswhere. All that Gross and Peppers is trying to do is get the most they can out of Hurney.

Hangartner on the other hand I think will be gone, I don't blame him. He was been a solid starter at center when called upon and deserves the chance to start somewhere. With Kalil here, Hangartner isn't getting that chance unless there is an injury. The good news is he is a RFA. As long as we tender him, when another team signs him we will get something in return.

It will be extremely difficult to keep both Jordan Gross and Julius Peppers. And we don't have first round pick. Hmmm....

This could be a damaging offseason.

Actually not having the 1st round pick increases our chances of keeping them both.

Actually not having the 1st round pick increases our chances of keeping them both.

Not necessarily. I mean, of course if we lost one of them we could potentially have a replacement in our first round choice, and Hurney and Fox would see that, but I don't think that would influence their decisions at all. It would still be very hard to keep Peppers or Gross if we were to get into a bidding war with another franchise.

Not necessarily. I mean, of course if we lost one of them we could potentially have a replacement in our first round choice, and Hurney and Fox would see that, but I don't think that would influence their decisions at all. It would still be very hard to keep Peppers or Gross if we were to get into a bidding war with another franchise.

I'm refering to the contract we don't have to pay to a rookie, money that can be diverted to Peppers/Gross.

There is a wildcard in all this. How does the team feels about Mackenzy Bernadeau, and how ready is he.

After all, the team thought highly enough of him to keep him over some other more experienced offensive linemen (including Brown, who they were very reluctant to release). Also, he got a lot of positive reports prior to the draft, stating that he has the potential to be very good once he gets a year or two under his belt. Not to mention that he came in as a Guard, but has worked a lot at Center. So maybe the team sees him as Hangartner's replacement.

From everything I've seen the problem isn't having the cap space this year to keep both of them. The problem would be the cap space in the future. A lot of young players on this team coming up for their first contract. Also throw in Delhomme next offseason.

I'm refering to the contract we don't have to pay to a rookie, money that can be diverted to Peppers/Gross.

Oh okay, I didn't consider that.

I say we the Panthers cut:

Landon Johnson

Ken Lucas

Nick Goings

DJ Hackett

Nail Diggs

And that should open up plenty of cap space to sign Peppers and Gross, if we can manage it or not I have no idea.

Archived