• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2012 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Kevin Greene

do you think they were good enough to win with kobe?

I know that you weren't asking me, but I'd like to give my thoughts on this.

The Lakers winning percentage since the all star break is 69%. That would put them behind only the Heat, Thunder, and Spurs. They would be tied with the Nuggets. Obviously you have to look at the entire season to gauge how good a team is, but the Lakers are a special case. Earl on in the season Jordan Hill got hurt, Steve Nash got hurt, Steve Blake got hurt, Pau Gasol got hurt, and Dwight was a shell of his former self recovering from major back surgery. Throughout the season 9 of our players have been injured, and 6 have had surgery and long periods of being inactive. This seasons Lakers have been historically unlucky with injuries. Now, maybe we should have expected this considering how old they are, but to be fair none of them really have an injury history.

Anyways, back to my main point. I fully believe that the Lakers had a chance in the playoffs assuming Kobe was healthy and had energy left from playing 48 minutes every night for two weeks, and assuming that everyone else was back and mostly healthy. Dwight has been a beast since the all star break, and Pau has as well. Dwight and Pau finally figured out how to play together -- or rather D'Antoni finally figured out how to play them together (Pau finally started getting the post touches that he and Kobe has wanted for so long). Now, I know most outsiders will look at this as me just being a homer (and I might be to an extent), but I also have watched every game and believe that we would have a chat if everyone was healthy. Now, our defense would've needed to improve a LOT if we were going to win it all, but I do fully believe that we had a shot, albeit a slim one.

The championship.....no. A playoff series against the spurs....probably....

probably is a little optimistic lol.

to be honest i think the spurs are the hardest matchup for the lakers due to LA's horrendous depth. i realize anything can (in this case, could've) happen(ed) but their chances were pretty bad even with kobe.

probably is a little optimistic lol.

to be honest i think the spurs are the hardest matchup for the lakers due to LA's horrendous depth.

No way, I would much rather have the Spurs then the Thunder or Nuggets. Teams that can run up and down the floor all night tire the Lakers out way too easily, and now without Kobe they will have trouble matching those teams point for point....

i suppose all 3 of the top teams in the west are pretty deep... but you'd really rather see the spurs than the nuggets?

Absolutely, the Nuggets are ridiculously athletic, and playing in Denver is a bitch....

parker will play in the playoffs and jackson was a non-factor. i'll give you ginobli, but that last sentence is just silly.

+ denver is without gallo and faried

Faried already said he's playing in the postseason....

wat i thought he broke his ankle

either way, denver is less healthy than SA and the spurs have popovich who seems to make any scrub seem like a future all-star.

MRI showed no fracture, just a sprain....

Archived