• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bobcats vs. Grizzlies

Herbert The Love Bug

Where are all if the posters claiming Biz was going to he a beast. I said he sucked when we drafted him....and I am being proven right.

I am right here and claiming that Biyombo, as a player who just turned 20 in August and was perhaps the youngest player in the NBA last year, is nowhere NEAR maxed out in regards to his full potential. This is a player that is from the Congo that probably didn't touch a basketball until he was in his early teens. The mistake, if any was made, was expecting him to show us anything last year that would make him look like a future NBA inside presence and despite his lack of scoring prowess, he did show flashes of being a very strong interior defensive presence. He was inconsistent, of course, coming straight out of Europe having played limited games in North America. In an idea situation, he would have probably sat out the entire season last year learning how to play the damn game to start with. As far as learning on the fly is concerned, he's doing a hell of a lot better than most.

If he is still having trouble coming into his 3rd season identifying picks and plays in the post then I will start to get concerned. Players that can have success in the NBA as teenagers are few and far between and are the exception and not the rule. This year he is finally getting the chance to watch and learn instead of being thrown to the wolves and having every mistake he makes get exposed and magnified by people who expected him to be a 10-10 defensive superstar straight away.

Biyombo's biggest problems right now are inexperience, conditioning, and play recognition. Those are three things that can reasonably be expected to be fixed with adequate coaching and selective playing time. The first two in particular are non factors in the long term evaluation of his potential as an NBA player unless he refuses to work on them.

I will also say this.... somebody needs to grab Mullens and tell him that he eats on the inside and these three point attempts and 15 to 17 footers are just killing us. If you want to shoot the ball you need to get closer to the basket where the big boys play. There aren't too many dudes as big as Mullens that can get away with playing the style of game that he's trying to play and he does not have the skill set to get it done consistently as a jump shooter. 21 attempts from the field tonight is about 10-15 too many.

Archived