• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Cam just a bad read option QB?

Awesomeness!!

the read option is nothing more than another running play, except instead of just handing the ball off to just one guy regardless of how the defense is set up or what they're doing, the QB reads the D and sees if he or the RB would have more success. thats it.

people make it out to be a bigger deal than what it is. it's not the read option thats the problem.

the reason it hasn't been working isn't because its a "college" play.

ask yourself why any running play doesn't work. predominantly there are two answers.

1) they know you're going to run it and/or

2) you don't have the ability to run it well

for some reason the panther run game has always taken nearly half the season to get going solid. it always takes several weeks for the OL to gel. the first half of this season when we ran the read option the most was during a period in the season that we don't run the ball well anyway. to make if worse, if you don't have an oline prepared or able to adjust quickly to block for who has the ball, you're in trouble. this OL just wasn't ready or able to block for it....just like every year. being a newer mindset/dimension to the blocking scheme didn't help at all.

then there's the predictability. chud didn't run it well. he tried marrying the coryell passing game with the read option run game. when you want to pass, get in one of the usual coryell formations. when you want to run, you get in one of the usual read option formations. see a problem? the defense knew what we were going to do by how we lined up. and we never adjusted. the spirit of jeff davidson possessed chud's body.

to correct it...for starters get the OL gelling and ready earlier. they take it way to easy in the offseason. they don't get nearly enough reps together as a unit because usually they're always dicking around with personnel shifts.

and then, frikkin mix up what you do. run the ball out of non- read option formations and rjn other plays out of read option formations....play action, bubble screens, etc. will all work out of it. and add i more pistol formations. quit drawing an obvious line between your running game and your passing game. try disguising what you do because you're sure not good enough to just impose your will on others even if they know what you're gonna do.

be prepared and be confusing. don't fear the read option. fear being unprepared and predictable.

This is your best thread and I completely agree. First time, lol.

Newton is a fine read-option QB.

The read-option is a bad system to run as your base offense in the NFL.

We have better results when we run Newton out of a base Coryell offense not because of problems with the quarterback, but issues with the system at the pro level.

Newton is a fine read-option QB.

The read-option is a bad system to run as your base offense in the NFL.

We have better results when we run Newton out of a base Coryell offense not because of problems with the quarterback, but issues with the system at the pro level.

meh...it's just another running scheme.

people turn it into some big bugaboo when it's just a running scheme.

the problem is just what i said earlier. the OL isn't up to the job and chud doesn't know how to operate it right.

if it's run right and the OL knows how to block for two potential runners and isn't all beat up and not on the same page, it would be fine.

a read option offense is just another run first offense.

meh...it's just another running scheme.

people turn it into some big bugaboo when it's just a running scheme.

the problem is just what i said earlier. the OL isn't up to the job and chud doesn't know how to operate it right.

if it's run right and the OL knows how to block for two potential runners and isn't all beat up and not on the same page, it would be fine.

a read option offense is just another run first offense.

Understood, but would you not agree that we looked better the more we went back to base Coryell this season?

Understood, but would you not agree that we looked better the more we went back to base Coryell this season?

because of who was running the offense (as in chud), not because of the scheme itself.

chud has no experience running the read option beyond what he did here. his problem was that he tried marrying the coryell to the read option, but he ended up making the offense predictable.

just like i said earlier, the offense became predictable. defenses knew we were going to run because we were in a read option formation. defenses knew we were going to pass because we weren't in the read option.

his mindset on how to run it was all screwed up. it was a shiny toy that he didn't think to ask instructions on how to operate. if your mindset is that it's just another running scheme, then you treat it like one. you make the defense respect it and expect it and then you start misleading them....you know, use play action and stuff. treat it like you would any running scheme or plays.

he should have run more traditional plays out of the read option formations and ran more out of more traditional formations.

or talked to someone like kelly who is a guru, or even read his playbook, which is online, btw, and very interesting to read. find out how to run it before you try to run it.

i said over and over, tho, that chud's offense had been as predictable as davidson's. sure, his playbook was more intricate than davidson's 5 page coloring book, but it was just as predictable. when you're predictable and your OL is crap, you're offense isn't going to be all that good. another of the good few fatal flaws was that chud wasn't basing the offense on the personnel he had. i mean sure he was tailoring part of the offense around newton, but he didn't game plan and play call for the players we had on the field. they didn't make the most of their strengths, but more than that, it didn't account for their limitations. the OL he has here is more suited for what it's been used to. more powerblocking rather than the zone blocking scheme which is better suited for the read option.

we shouldn't have been running it as much because chud didn't know how to use it and we didn't have the OL for it.

because of who was running the offense (as in chud), not because of the scheme itself.

chud has no experience running the read option beyond what he did here. his problem was that he tried marrying the coryell to the read option, but he ended up making the offense predictable.

just like i said earlier, the offense became predictable. defenses knew we were going to run because we were in a read option formation. defenses knew we were going to pass because we weren't in the read option.

his mindset on how to run it was all screwed up. it was a shiny toy that he didn't think to ask instructions on how to operate. if your mindset is that it's just another running scheme, then you treat it like one. you make the defense respect it and expect it and then you start misleading them....you know, use play action and stuff. treat it like you would any running scheme or plays.

he should have run more traditional plays out of the read option formations and ran more out of more traditional formations.

or talked to someone like kelly who is a guru, or even read his playbook, which is online, btw, and very interesting to read. find out how to run it before you try to run it.

i said over and over, tho, that chud's offense had been as predictable as davidson's. sure, his playbook was more intricate than davidson's 5 page coloring book, but it was just as predictable. when you're predictable and your OL is crap, you're offense isn't going to be all that good. another of the good few fatal flaws was that chud wasn't basing the offense on the personnel he had. i mean sure he was tailoring part of the offense around newton, but he didn't game plan and play call for the players we had on the field. they didn't make the most of their strengths, but more than that, it didn't account for their limitations. the OL he has here is more suited for what it's been used to. more powerblocking rather than the zone blocking scheme which is better suited for the read option.

we shouldn't have been running it as much because chud didn't know how to use it and we didn't have the OL for it.

I know you're a bigger fan of it at the pro level than I am. That's one of those things I think we'll have to agree to disagree about.

I put it in the same category as the Wildcat, i.e. Something that's useful when mixed in occasionally but not something you can make your bread and butter.

With Chudzinski, my take has been that he's a better play designer than play caller, but I thought he did a pretty good job in the latter half of the season,

I know you're a bigger fan of it at the pro level than I am. That's one of those things I think we'll have to agree to disagree about.

I put it in the same category as the Wildcat, i.e. Something that's useful when mixed in occasionally but not something you can make your bread and butter.

With Chudzinski, my take has been that he's a better play designer than play caller, but I thought he did a pretty good job in the latter half of the season,

i'm repeating myself in this thread but i'm old so it's ok.

the wildcat didn't work long term because of the fact that it was a constantly telegraphed play...you knew it was going to happen because it was the RB back there and while it was supposed to throw in the possibility that the RB would throw the ball, there were a couple problems with it. 1) RBs can't throw the ball all that well and 2) they ran with it 95% of the time. it was predictable and easy to defend because of it, but i do think the premise was good...snap the ball to a guy who is a threat to either throw it or run it or hand it off to someone else. it's just that the RB kept it. i think that helped lead towards the QB playing a bigger role in the running game. instead of finding an RB who can throw the ball every once in a while, get a QB that is a threat to run. it makes the threat more constant.

the thing that bugged me about chud running the offense was him throwing in the wildcat...we pretty much run it every play with cam. there was no advantage to putting him out on the wing and having the ball snapped to williams. THAT was a gimmick and it shouldn't have been employed at all. it brought nothing of substance to the table and it rarely worked, even before cam got there.

run right, the read option presents three problems for the defense, is the QB going to throw the ball, run with the ball, or get the ball to another rusher? i just don't see why it wouldn't work and why some people have such a hard time accepting it.

btw...not campaigning for it to be run here. i just don't know understand the issue, esp. from old school smashmouth football guys. it's ground and pound with a little extra hot sauce.

Archived