• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The league's only black OC makes it to the Super Bowl....

King Taharqa

No black brothers have coached against each other in the Super Bowl.

Only white brothers.

This is obviously racism.

Very typical of you Kurb to "deflect" from the issue. If you cant relate, I wonder why you so often run in these threads and respond? Next I expect you to lock it because it makes you feel guilty.

Yes but isn't this thread racist itself? It sounds to me like he wants one superior race instead of equality... I agree there's still racism but it's not just on one side like most people think.

This is the same argument people made when I said 4-5 years ago we should maybe look at some african american QBs. I was lampooned, tarred, feathered, and told I was a racist for even bringing it up. Now look at our franchise. Its not about one race being superior, its about giving equal opportunities to people who have contributed to this game. African americans have contributed GREATLY, so why such resistance to seeing them being decision makers, head coaches, offensive coordinators?

Should a black man be hired to be a HC over a white man just because he is black? That is basically what KT has been advocating/insinuating on this board for years. Black people should get X because they are black and I disagree with that.

Never said or implied such a thing. Never once said high Flavor Flav as an OC because he is black. You are basically implying white people are always more qualified and the best safe option so its not unsusual or abnormal for the work force to be almost entirely comprised of blacks, but all authority is white. Why even go there? Is it totally unfathomable to you that one of these assistants like Caldwell or a Lovie could do better than a Dick Jauron or a Norv Turner?

Very typical of you Kurb to "deflect" from the issue. If you cant relate, I wonder why you so often run in these threads and respond? Next I expect you to lock it because it makes you feel guilty.

Oh gosh you got me.....except not.

Ill lock it when it has run it's course and fallen into the shitter, I've no reason to feel any guilt on the subject of race.

This is the same argument people made when I said 4-5 years ago we should maybe look at some african american QBs. I was lampooned, tarred, feathered, and told I was a racist for even bringing it up. Now look at our franchise. Its not about one race being superior, its about giving equal opportunities to people who have contributed to this game. African americans have contributed GREATLY, so why such resistance to seeing them being decision makers, head coaches, offensive coordinators?

Yes but why does he have to be an "African American QB" why couldn't you just say a great QB prospect... It's just like how people say "White WR" why can't he just be a WR? I have no problem with hiring a African American coach just as long as he's a dam good coach Honestly if we hired say Jim Caldwell or Hue Jackson just because they were African American and not because they were qualified for the job would that honestly make you happy?

And also you're saying since we gave a African American QB a chance that that made the team better? No it's because Cam is a dam good QB. This aint 1970-1980 no more man we have made progress and yes there is racism still i this world but not to just one race all the races and I hate it

Oh gosh you got me.....except not.

Ill lock it when it has run it's course and fallen into the shitter, I've no reason to feel any guilt on the subject of race.

Then why do you make it a point to add commentary that has nothing to do with subject but is intended to deflect? There have been several threads that devolved into "evolution, etc" in the main board that I didnt participate in and I didnt notice you contributing your "deflect" tactics to those threads. If you choose to run from race Kurb thats fine, but your little comments come off like someone trying to justify guilt and excuse bias.

"NFL Executive Vice president of Human Resources Robert Gulliver stated, "While there has been full compliance with the interview requirements of the Rooney Rule and we wish the new head coaches and general managers much success, the hiring results this year have been unexpected and reflect a disappointing lack of diversity."

Analysts have pointed the lack of interview offers for Baltimore Ravens' Offensive Coordinator Jim Caldwell, who, as head coach, led the Indianapolis Colts to a 14-2 2009 season along with winning the 2009 American Football Conference title before losing in Super Bowl XLIV, as evidence that the rule needs revision. Some sports analysts have called upon the NFL to modify the Rooney Rule by requiring NFL teams to interview a minority candidate outside their respective organizations, and extending the rule to include interviews for offensive and defensive coordinators."

Read the above just this morning. The dilemma to overcome is this:

By creating the Rooney Rule, the NFL is all but admitting there is an issue with respect to interviewing minorities. I suppose the first conclusion or assumption one could make is that this is an act of racism. Maybe I'm not in the right position to make this call, but I must say, if I was a minority and I knew I was getting interviews not because of my resume but because "the man" said someone had to interview me... not sure how I'd respond to that.

I'm also of the opinion that just as there are teams who may not interview minority coaches, there are also minority coaches who would never interview for certain teams.

And I also believe that the racism we're most familiar with in this country, that of exclusion and segregation, is also arrived at when the pendulum swings too far in the other direction. That being forced inclusion (requiring the interview process to include minorities) and integration (putting minority children on a school bus to attend an all-white school 20 miles away).

Then why do you make it a point to add commentary that has nothing to do with subject but is intended to deflect? There have been several threads that devolved into "evolution, etc" in the main board that I didnt participate in and I didnt notice you contributing your "deflect" tactics to those threads. If you choose to run from race Kurb thats fine, but your little comments come off like someone trying to justify guilt and excuse bias.

Why do you make it a point to bring up race in the context of qualifications? What does evolution have to do with anything we are talking about ? If you choose to run with the idea that every time a minority isn't hired/starting represents racism that's fine, but your little threads come off as someone trying to justify an irrational view of society and bias.

The conveniently ignored fact of the entire premise is this- 7 of the 8 head coaching positions were filled with coaches with extensive offensive backgrounds.

There was only one minority OC/HC candidate and he cannot be interviewed for another 2 weeks. Circumstance alone took him out of the running, not his skin color.

Why do you make it a point to bring up race in the context of qualifications? What does evolution have to do with anything we are talking about ? If you choose to run with the idea that every time a minority isn't hired/starting represents racism that's fine, but your little threads come off as someone trying to justify an irrational view of society and bias.

Problem is Kurby, I'm not the only person saying these things or bringing up this issue. You're tying to make it a "King Taharqa" thing when you've got organizations including the NFL talking about this.

You're not african american, you're not raising any african americans in your household so why do you even care? How does this affect you? Why does instinct say a foot forward for blacks mean a step backward for whites? Why did you imply hiring blacks means you're lowering your standards or hiring some unqualified? You came with an emotional over the top sarcastic response because just the mere mention of race makes you walk on eggshells and puts you on the defense. Why are you so uncomfortable talking about it? Why are you so quick to lock threads? If you're scared, if you feel you cant defend or speak intelligently on a subject why even respond? Arent you a mod? There are plenty of minorities who arent hired in hockey or baseball or NASCAR other things like golf. Have you ever seen me make a thread about that or speak on it? But those sports dont rely on the bodies and labor of african americans the way the NFL does, so of course its an issue. Just because the issue doesnt affect you and you cant relate at all doesnt mean that thats the same for other people.

By creating the Rooney Rule, the NFL is all but admitting there is an issue with respect to interviewing minorities. I suppose the first conclusion or assumption one could make is that this is an act of racism. Maybe I'm not in the right position to make this call, but I must say, if I was a minority and I knew I was getting interviews not because of my resume but because "the man" said someone had to interview me... not sure how I'd respond to that.

I'm also of the opinion that just as there are teams who may not interview minority coaches, there are also minority coaches who would never interview for certain teams.

And I also believe that the racism we're most familiar with in this country, that of exclusion and segregation, is also arrived at when the pendulum swings too far in the other direction. That being forced inclusion (requiring the interview process to include minorities) and integration (putting minority children on a school bus to attend an all-white school 20 miles away).

Why dont other sports like MLB & NBA need Rooney Rules? The NFL has to "force" itself to consider candidates who arent white. The other leagues dont seem to have that issue. And its not like the majority of execs and coaches in those leagues aint white, cuz they are, but there are more opportunities given and less of the "I just feel more comfortable with my own kind" sentiment you see in the NFL.

Problem is Kurby, I'm not the only person saying these things or bringing up this issue. You're tying to make it a "King Taharqa" thing when you've got organizations including the NFL talking about this.

You're not african american, you're not raising any african americans in your household so why do you even care?

Why shouldn't I care ? Is the fight for inequality limited to African Americans ?

How does this affect you?

How does it affect you? Have you been passed over for an NFL job on the basis of skin color?

Why does instinct say a foot forward for blacks mean a step backward for whites?

Why did you imply hiring blacks means you're lowering your standards or hiring some unqualified?

Where did I explicitly say that ?

You came with an emotional over the top sarcastic response because just the mere mention of race makes you walk on eggshells and puts you on the defense.

Where am I on eggshells ? Why would you assume I was? Am I now considered racist b/c I have disagreed with your comments ?

Why are you so uncomfortable talking about it?

What are you even talking about? Are you projecting a preconceived notion about me based on my skin color ? Is a white person banned from speaking on this subject ?

Why are you so quick to lock threads?

Mainly b/c I am an asshole, not sure that pertains to this subject.

If you're scared, if you feel you cant defend or speak intelligently on a subject why even respond?

Who's scared? Does an opposing view point upset you so much that this is all you have to reply with ?

Aren't you a mod?

Nope, Admin.

There are plenty of minorities who aren't hired in hockey or baseball or NASCAR other things like golf. Have you ever seen me make a thread about that or speak on it?

Nope, you don't strike me as a big fan of those sports, but if you are, feel free.

But those sports don't rely on the bodies and labor of african americans the way the NFL does, so of course its an issue. Just because the issue doesn't affect you and you cant relate at all doesn't mean that that's the same for other people.

Oh yes the poor helpless NFL player. Let us lament over their struggles. Tell me How you relate to a young multimilliare, or a struggling practice squad player. You have as much in common with Vince Wilfork as I do with Matt Birk.

But keep playing, I'm bored at work and can do this pretty much nonstop.

Or until I get bored and lock the thread as it has done what you wanted it to do, attract attention.

You're welcome for that btw.

Archived