• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bobcats Want Walker To Model Game After Parker, Paul

ZB1224

Mike Dunlap revealed that he uses tape of Chris Paul and Tony Parker to help mold second-year point guard Kemba Walker.

“We really feel, mentally and physically, the way those two lead their teams is very special,” Dunlap said. “Different, but they get the same results.”

Dunlap emphasizes Parker’s attention to detail.

“First, change of speed: This is how he does it, where and when,” Dunlap said. “Then, two is just how when he doesn’t have the ball, he is one of the hardest cutters in the league. He just rips his cuts. Third is if you overplay his cuts — snap — he goes back door.”

Gregg Popovich believes Parker has been the top point guard in the league this season.

“I think he’s probably played better than any point guard in the league, if you want to be totally frank,” Popovich said. “It’s hard to pick somebody whose had a better year than he’s had.”

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225927/Bobcats-Want-Walker-To-Model-Game-After-Parker-Paul

I love Kemba as much as anyone else, but I can't see it.

Kemba isn't the kind of player Parker or Paul is.

I just don't think Kemba will ever be a Top3-5 PG in this league. There are a lot of other young PGs that are playing at a higher level than Kemba. They brings more to the game.

I don't know much about BB, but I also don't base everything on point alone.

I don't think the point is that Dunlap thinks he is as good or will be as good as those guards...merely that they are using those two guards as guidance for teaching walker how to become a complete PG. He definitely is a top five pg in quickness and is on his way to being one of the best pg's finishing in transition. His passing is predicated on penetration...give him a post player who can finish and his penetration becomes much more deadly. He may never be the passer the other two are but he has a world of potential.

Kemba needs to develop more of a passing game, i'd really like to see him end up in a Parker mode where he can make the backdoor cut pass and that would really open up the offense

Completely agree!

Kemba is a very good scorer, but he can def still improve in the passing game. Comparing him to other young PGs, he doesn't move the offense like a Irving or Lillard. He doesn't make players around him better. He should be making players like Biz and MKG better. Irving and Lillard brings another dimension to the game.

I want Kemba to become a great player but he need to show me more. And with his size, sometimes he struggle to guard bigger players.

ATM, Kemba is nothing but a Two-Gaurd.

I don't think the point is that Dunlap thinks he is as good or will be as good as those guards...merely that they are using those two guards as guidance for teaching walker how to become a complete PG. He definitely is a top five pg in quickness and is on his way to being one of the best pg's finishing in transition. His passing is predicated on penetration...give him a post player who can finish and his penetration becomes much more deadly. He may never be the passer the other two are but he has a world of potential.

At this point of time, he's a "two Gaurd", not a PG. I want Kemba to become a sure PG. Hes a very good scorer but he's not someone who can control and move the game with the ball and his hands. Sometimes, another player has to move the ball for him.

he's not someone who can control and move the game with the ball and his hands.

Jesus, you are such a hater.

Kemba is a one-man team and it's hard to get assists when your teammates fuging suck. Make Biyombo better? How does a PG make the league's worst offensive player better?

Get out of here with the 2-guard nonsense. 17.8 points and 5.7 assists per game with crappy teammates. Put Paul on the Bobcats and he wouldn't have any more assists, because in order to get assists your teammate has to make a basket.

Completely agree!

Kemba is a very good scorer, but he can def still improve in the passing game. Comparing him to other young PGs, he doesn't move the offense like a Irving or Lillard. He doesn't make players around him better. He should be making players like Biz and MKG better. Irving and Lillard brings another dimension to the game.

I want Kemba to become a great player but he need to show me more. And with his size, sometimes he struggle to guard bigger players.

I just very much disagree with pretty much all of this.

Kemba is as much as a PG as Irving and Lillard are.

Correction: Kemba could make Biyombo a better rebounder, since he out-rebounds him on frequent occasions lol. Biyombo is a great kid but he's terrible. He's limited in what he can do and adding on years isn't going to change much. He can block shots but too often his stat lines are 0 points, 3 rebounds, 2 blocks, 3 TOs, 3 fouls in 25-plus minutes.

Dudes are throwing off on a guy who frequently puts up 20+ points, 4-6 rebounds, 4-6 assists and 2-3 steals.

I'll never understand the hate on Kemba, who is already the second-best player in franchise history. Then again, there are Panthers fans who think Cam sucks. Some people use more of their brains than others, I guess.

I like Kemba, to be honest he is better than i really expected him to be. I always thought he would be a solid 6th man (Jason Terry) type who could come in and score off the bench. He has proven to me that he is a starting Guard to me. His ability to score and create his own shot is very good. He also is able to attack the rim and score at the rim with contact. He needs to continue to develop his passing skills to be a more rounded guard. I know he is stuck as the only threat on offense which makes it harder, but that should hurt his shooting %'s It should make for more open teammates with defenders coming off to help. With that said it doesn't matter if that teammate misses the "open" shot....

I don't blame Kemba for the lack of (easy buckets), I blame the system. Watch a thunder/spurs game and see the amount of easy buckets on back door cuts and lobs. When is the last time you saw a backdoor cut or lob for a Bobcat?

Completely agree!

You gotta work with what you've got, and Kemba is a great talent even if he doesnt fit the mold of a prototypical PG. In a lot of ways the NBA doesnt require a traditional PG any more, and guys who can score and create with the ball are important no matter where they play.

Plus, as others have pointed out, with his quickness he would be a lot better on the pick and role if we had a big man good enough to run it

Archived