• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What could the NFL do with the off season?

Darth Biscuit

The NFL leaves you wanting more, that is a good thing for their product. It beats burning people out on it.

I agree. I think one of the things that makes football work is that it's only played once a week. The drama builds, the excitement, all of it. It's one of the reasons, although many, as to why football is so popular. Just compare it to baseball and like a World Series. You can have an exciting victory but before you can celebrate, you're playing another game tomorrow. The fun dies real quick.

As far as a minor league for the NFL, just think of NFL Europe, the USFL and the UFL, which I believe is still around. Maybe?

The problem is, people want to see stars. A lot of those second tier leagues will give guys second chances like Daunte Culpepper with the Sacramento Mountain Lions or Lawrence Phillips, the troubled star who went to Nebraska, which is cool. I remember one year in Europe, Lawrence rushed for like 14 touchdowns and signed with the 9ers that summer before his attitude came back and they cut him. Still, stories like that are nice.

I just think the NFL has failed too often with second run leagues The things is, people want to see stars that the sport has marketed. Otherwise you have a game that's broadcast on some cable channel that nobody gets or wants like versus or spike tv and the ratings are poor and nobody is happy, not even the fan.

I think the NFL really wants to market the sport in Europe and with the way things went with NFL Europe, I don't see them trying anything along those lines again.

As far as the big wait, before you know it the draft will be here.

Since this is the first Sunday without any football, and with so much talk of an 18 game regular season... I was thinking about things the NFL could do in the off season.

Sundays are boring now... Sure there's basketball, golf and hockey now but its not the NFL.

Other than extending the season, which I personally think is a bad idea... what else could they do?

How about a minor league season in the spring. Each franchise could have a minor league team of talent that didn't make the NFL and play like an 8 game season with a short playoff.

I would watch that, would you?

XFL XFL XFL don't we all miss it

Archived