• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scotch Lovers Thread

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

At 23 I'm really starting to enjoy whiskey more than ever. Could someone explain the difference between whiskey and scotch? Lately I've been buying bottles of Makers and Gentleman Jack and mix them 50/50 with some ginger ale. Once the night progresses and I've had a couple ill sip slow on the rocks. I suppose I have to start somewhere right?

At 23 I'm really starting to enjoy whiskey more than ever. Could someone explain the difference between whiskey and scotch? Lately I've been buying bottles of Makers and Gentleman Jack and mix them 50/50 with some ginger ale. Once the night progresses and I've had a couple ill sip slow on the rocks. I suppose I have to start somewhere right?

Scotch is whiskey. As is Bourbon and Rye.

The difference come in what they are made of, where they are made, and the process used. Bourbon for instance has to be at least 51% corn. Scotch is made primarily from barley and has to be distilled at least twice and of course must be from Scotland.

There is a solid half a day worth of reading if you start here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisky and read all of the related articles.

Well, technically, whiskey encompasses a lot of different liquors (bourbon, scotch... probably other things?) I'm pretty sure scotch is just whiskey that derives from Scotland, and it probably has a different grain makeup.

But I'm just a little child that doesn't partake in illegal activities such as underaged drinking, so I'm probably totally wrong.

Scotch is whiskey. As is Bourbon and Rye.

The difference come in what they are made of, where they are made, and the process used. Bourbon for instance has to be at least 51% corn. Scotch is made primarily from barley and has to be distilled at least twice and of course must be from Scotland.

Beat me to it. On the bright side, I wasn't wrong!

Archived