• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cowboys telling Romo to "shape up"

Mr. Scot

From the Star-Telegram, quoted in The Red Zone:

Anybody who thinks Jason Garrett is incapable of dropping the hammer on one of his "boys" is so wrong.

So 180-degrees wrong, as recent events demonstrate.

Word from Valley Ranch is he had a come-to-Jesus meeting with QB Tony Romo this off-season where he basically told him to get his butt in better shape.

Now nobody is accusing Romo of being Val Kilmer, or even Byron Leftwich. The description used was "bottom heavy" and the message was more "We love you but ... " than butt kicking. What The Redheaded Genius told him was, basically, become a better finisher.

Cowboys coaches believe Romo has a penchant for showing up for training camp in just good enough shape to allow him to get out to a good start in the first half. And it falls apart in the second half because he does. He is not able to outrun the same players. His mistakes go up. He is not the same QB.

And they need that QB to win games in December and beyond. It is that simple.

The question was how Romo would react considering how, at times, he has a tendency to say crazy things like, "I’m OK if I never win a Super Bowl," when facing criticism. This leads many, yours truly included, to wonder if he understands exactly what is expected.

Worry no more. Or at least worry less.

I can't imagine how I'd feel if my QB said that :eek:

I have a Dallas fan buddy who believes Romo cares more about the lifestyle of being the Cowboys QB than he does about the actual football, and he hates it. Quotes like that would lend to that that idea, though the point of the article is to say there are signs it's getting better.

Like I said in that other topic, I heard a Cowboys beat writer saying on FT the other day that Romo's teammates don't believe in him when it comes to crunch time. That alone is cause for concern if it is true and not just the guy's feeling.

Several things I can think of right off the bat that he has done/said have concerned me about his willingness to do what it takes though. Going to Cabo before the layoffs was one. Another was when he said you CAN be a "celebrity QB" if you are good enough.

Like I said in that other topic, I heard a Cowboys beat writer saying on FT the other day that Romo's teammates don't believe in him when it comes to crunch time. That alone is cause for concern if it is true and not just the guy's feeling.

Several things I can think of right off the bat that he has done/said have concerned me about his willingness to do what it takes though. Going to Cabo before the layoffs was one. Another was when he said you CAN be a "celebrity QB" if you are good enough.

Since when was he good enough?...

I just don't think he's mentally tough enough. I think he listens to what the talking heads and has an inflated view of his abilities so he doesn't work as hard as he should and isn't prepared when things don't go his way. That's why I like pro football more than college - talent will only take you so far when everyone else around you is just as talented.

Since when was he good enough?...

Exactly why it rubbed me the wrong way. He said it in the context of flinging that requirement by Parcells back in Parcells' face when questioned about it.

Mental toughness is a HUGE HUGE deal in my book as far as being an actual quarterback (not just a talented passer, etc.). and natty is right, I don't see it in Romo either, or in a heckuva lot of other QBs in the NFL. and it's a drop dead deal killer in my book as far as who I want QBing my team.

Archived