• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you want Noel if he dropped?

unicar15

Nerleens Noel is, IMO, the rawest prospect EVER to be considered the #1 overall pick. I'm including Kwame Brown in that discussion as Brown was thought of as having a "soft" personality but actually a pretty advanced offensive game for his age. Nerleens Noel might be the worst offensive center I've ever seen as a kid thought of as a top pick. Not to mention he's coming off a horendous knee injury (not easy for a 7 footer to heal from that) That said...his potential is ridiculous if he adds about 50lbs. 

So, my question is if he drops to #4 would you take him? Most people think it would be a no-brainer. We've seen what a dominant center can do for a team (Roy Hibbert recently). But I'm not so sure. To me this kid SCREAMS Greg Oden 2.0. Maybe if he had stayed another year or two at Kentucky then you see what he is made of...but the NBA is going to squash this kid. Maybe at #4 the risk is worth the reward if he turns out but at this point I'd probably take a guy like Anthony Bennett ahead of Noel. In fact...as far as draft day ability to help your team I don't think Noel is even in the conversation for the top 10...and this is a weak weak draft. Good year not to have the #1 overall pick.

Noel has a lot of potential to become a decent center. The obvious issue is his knee, but if he returns healthy and adds some bulk, I feel he could bring his defensive talents to a team wanting to take a risk on him. Would I take him?

Maybe, but it depends on who is available. Let's say this happens:

#1 Porter, Cavs

#2 Burke, Magic

#3 Bennett, Wizards

In this scenario McLemore is still on the board and so is Noel. Now I'm a big fan of McLemore and would love us to pair him with Kemba. So for me I'd draft McLemore over Noel. Sure there is potential that we could trade back with a team like the T-Wolves for their pick (or picks) and/or Derrick Williams. Trading back might put us in a pposition to draft Oladipo, or a big like Zeller or Len. But that aside, if McLemore is available I'd take him over Noel.

If this scenario happens:

#1 McLemore, Cavs

#2 Burke, Magic

#3 Porter, Wizards

Now in this scenario I'm unsure about Bennett's ability to play at PF full time. Also while Oladipo brings immense athleticism, I am not sure I'd want to take him at #4. For me I'd probably rather take a risk on Noel in this scenario because according to reports he should come back healthy. So as long as our team does its research and that says the same, grab Noel because it would give us a potentially dominate defensive presence. Plus with Clifford's background he could be the type of player he may want.

So if Noel does fall to us, then we may take him but it depends who is available. I don't see us taking him over McLemore, if McLemore is available we'll take him or trade back with a team that wants him. But if McLemore is gone and Noel is on the board, I think we might take him over Bennett and Oladipo.

Absolutely. If you are a GM and you can take Noel at #4, you do it every single time. If he gets hurt or just sucks, nobody is going to say "oh what a dumb pick" they are going to say "oh what bad luck". Anyway we are so far away from competing, how good a player is next season has to be a complete non-factor. Draft based on how good you think they will be 5 years down the line. 

Archived