• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFT Looks At Peppers Deal

Skew

Anyone who ever tags a player who hates the tag (what player DOESN'T HATE THE TAG???) and wants to move on and the player ends up signing the tag has an idiot for a GM...DUHHH!! I wonder why Pioli is thought of as such a great hire when he did it twice in NE? Heck NE has done it three times in the BB era (Samuel, Vinatieri, Cassel). Steelers did it twice to the same guy (Starks). Eagles have done it. Dumb effs, the lot of them!

lol

I'm hoping C-rolls is just being sarcastic, because the only thing Peppers wanted was out of Carolina, which he didn't get. Therefore, the Panthers are the winners.

Peppers never even mentioned money and he was gonna get paid whether it was here or somewhere else anyway.

Understood, but not quite. They made their fair share of statements indicating he did not want to be tagged. He wanted out (at least at the time).

And as I've read, his contract does include incentives (escalators for things like making thr Pro Bowl, etc). What it doesn't include is any provision that prevents his being franchised next year.

But then, a long term deal makes that point moot.

Consider it to be like coachspeak. This is what needs to be said in order to attain the results we want. He doesn't actually want an extended contract with another team, so he "sabotages" himself accordingly such that Carolina has already placed the tag on him (after forcing the Gross issue) and is stuck with him b/c no one else will meet the exhorbant cost requirement to make a trade.

Although I took that take in another thread playing devil's advocate, I have a hard time thinking Carey/Peppers being that smart.

Maybe, but it's not likely...

Is it really all that smart though? I know it's been mentioned that if some random accident happened before he signed that he'd be SOL. Crunching the numbers over the long term he might have been better off signing the big contract he was offered(given the risk vs reward).

If anything I'd call it unconventional and bizarre - 2 words that could definitely be used to describe Pep/Carey.

I'm hoping C-rolls is just being sarcastic, because the only thing Peppers wanted was out of Carolina, which he didn't get. Therefore, the Panthers are the winners.

He's not being sarcastic...

Someone else mentioned it and I'm rather inclined to agree, this situation smacks of what happened with Briggs a few years ago where Briggs just didn't want to play for the Bears anymore but after some time and at the urging of some of his friends on the team he stayed and has been the best player on their defense ever since.

Is it really all that smart though? I know it's been mentioned that if some random accident happened before he signed that he'd be SOL. Crunching the numbers over the long term he might have been better off signing the big contract he was offered(given the risk vs reward).

If anything I'd call it unconventional and bizarre - 2 words that could definitely be used to describe Pep/Carey.

16.5 million for this year as opposed to about 14, and being able to sign a long term deal next year for 14/15 a year for 5/6 years? Yeah, it would be pretty smart. I don't think they were savvy enough to plan it, but it did turn out pretty sweet for them...

And if a new long term contract is reached, is he still an idiot?

good question. the answer depends on how much the changes that were made to what Pep wanted out of are legitimate enough for him to be happy with. Otherwise we have more money than just one year tied to an unhappy player.

What everyone here, so far and save a couple posters, is missing is what it was exactly Peppers wanted out of and how different that is to what he hopes to be returning to (at least on paper).

To get him to sign some convincing had to be done by making major changes that included staff and roster (future). If you think those changes would all have been made exactly as they have been without Pep doing what he did then I am going to have to call you naive. For example if Pep is a happy camper leading up to the draft then there is no way we trade a 1st for Brown. We go after DT instead.

He wanted out of where he was and while he is returning to the same locker room in the same city physically, his actions effected a change that he is obviously comfortable with now.

Surface comprehension is fine for some things that are not important and not being discussed at length. Things like this need to be looked at a little closer by most of you.

Whether you think the moves that have been made since Peppers first comment are to pull the wool over his eyes or to accommodate him is irrelevant. He effected change and hence is NOT returning to what he wanted out of.

It's really simple if you just slow down and let it sink in.

Archived