• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Delhomme #40 NFL QB All-time?

dbeat

All of these weird ways to manipulate stats are really unnecessary. Jake has been a decent QB. Unless he wins a SB, that's the way he will always be viewed. He's maybe a B-list, game manager.

40th all time, regardless of what stats you use, is OK, but nobody is going to write home about it, if you can't close the deal by bringing home the gold. I am not trying to be sarcastic or belittling, just real.

Dan Marino was one of the better QBs in my time, but nobody's really talking about him now. It's the elite QBs, and even the good QBs with championships, that get the praise. Delhomme just doesn't fit the bill thus far, even if he is 40th of all time. Let's just respect him for what he is, and not try to make him out to be more than he is.

I agree that stats alone don't make the QB better or worse necessarily. Fact is that the era guys play in now is more offense friendly and QBRs are only more useful in comparing current or more recent guys to one another than in comparing a guy like Johnny U to Manning or whoever.

I don't believe in using rings/championships to evaluate QBs. I believe in using whether they played well enough to help their team win rings/be competitive. If Manning had played like he did in the playoffs and the Colts had more rings than the Pats with Brady's playing the same as he had in the playoffs, I still wouldn't put him above Brady. He's had far more talent around him over his career. There's really no excuses for his playing like that in most playoff games. Note, I am not talking in any way about the teams' defenses, etc. Having a good to great defense is what wins championships. I am talking strictly about the offense and how the QB played.

Manning is pretty much like Marino in my mind regardless of rings. Kelly too. Big stats guys who often didn't play well in the playoffs=fail.

I agree that stats alone don't make the QB better or worse necessarily. Fact is that the era guys play in now is more offense friendly and QBRs are only more useful in comparing current or more recent guys to one another than in comparing a guy like Johnny U to Manning or whoever.

I don't believe in using rings/championships to evaluate QBs. I believe in using whether they played well enough to help their team win rings/be competitive. If Manning had played like he did in the playoffs and the Colts had more rings than the Pats with Brady's playing the same as he had in the playoffs, I still wouldn't put him above Brady. He's had far more talent around him over his career. There's really no excuses for his playing like that in most playoff games. Note, I am not talking in any way about the teams' defenses, etc. Having a good to great defense is what wins championships. I am talking strictly about the offense and how the QB played.

Manning is pretty much like Marino in my mind regardless of rings. Kelly too. Big stats guys who often didn't play well in the playoffs=fail.

I don't think that you can fault Peyton Manning when he came up against superior defenses. When you look at QB ratings, Manning is right up there near the top, even above Brady. If Manning's teams had had the defenses that the Steelers, Pats and the Ravens, he would have a couple of more rings. In fact, it can be argued that his career is even more impressive because of the lack of dominance by the Colts on defense.

Save for the rings, it can be argued that Peyton Manning may be the most effective QB that has ever played the game.

Without talking about rings...which as I said in and of themselves don't make a case for one QB vs another....

If you looked into it a bit more, you would see that the Colts offense was the area that mainly blew it in the playoffs, i.e. underachieved vs regular season performance (scoring points) vs their D which usually either achieved to par or overachieved (allowing points). The fact that once Brady got even TWO great receiving threats on his team (let alone still not the talent level Manning has had around him his whole career, and the continuity player and coaching wise which is also a huge factor IMO) he surpassed Manning's TD stats and some others of his record breaking year pretty much closes that case to me. If one were to be able to put Manning on a team with average talent around him and he were to be able to help his team get rings, then IMO one could say that definitively he is better. It can't be done because that will never happen under Polian. Brady has proven it both ways.

Brady led Pats teams have never gone ohfer in the playoffs crappyish D or not, Manning led ones have done that 6 times even with a very good scoring D like they had in 2005. That isn't all on him, but believe me he has done his fair share to lead to that result. Someone considered the best of the best should be able to put his team on his back and help lead them to wins in the playoffs more than Manning has done.

Aikman is considered one of the most overrated QBs of all time by some people. Thing about him is that he did play pretty well in the playoffs IIRC.

Elway is overrated as a passer though IMO.

Way overrated, but he did get two rings...

Aikman is considered one of the most overrated QBs of all time by some people. Thing about him is that he did play pretty well in the playoffs IIRC.

Elway is overrated as a passer though IMO.

First, Manning. Now, Elway. What in the world, 77?

Elway is probably who Jake could become with a little better decision making.

Archived