• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Only 2 options with Rivera

CanadianCat

The writing on the wall says that Rivera will not be back next year unless a miracle happens and looking at our 2nd half opponents looks like we might go 0-6 ending the year with a bad taste in our mouth. That being said I have been trying to figure out in my mind what DG’s best choice with Rivera would be. I have narrowed it down to 2 options.

1.       Assuming we lose to the Giants we should fire Rivera after the game. This allows an interim coach 2 weeks to make his plan.

a.       The pro to this that it puts the entire team on notice and that ‘might’ create a spark to get us a few extra wins.

b.      The con to this is that we are starting new and chances are the interim coach is not ‘DG’s guys’ so its kind of a waste of time.

2.       Keep Rivera until the end of the year because chances are that DG’s coaching staff he wants is not currently available so plugging in new guys really doesn’t improve our situation at all.

a.       The pro to this is that it gives our team a chance to correct its mistakes and with a few lucky bounces we have a good team.

b.      The con to this is that Rivera makes coaching flubs that makes all want his head.

End of the day I think we either HAVE to make the move after a loss to the Giants – or don’t make one at all. 

JR and DG know what they are getting with Rivera, if they wanted him gone, he would have not been retained for this season.  This is obviously a throw away year so DG can get the finances straighten out and be able to assemble a championship team for 2014 and the players are playing like it.  Why do you think everyone was getting 1 year contracts?  The thought that DG was going to be able to use what carolina already had to win a superbowl was an illusion generated by us fans. 

JR and DG know what they are getting with Rivera, if they wanted him gone, he would have not been retained for this season.  This is obviously a throw away year so DG can get the finances straighten out and be able to assemble a championship team for 2014 and the players are playing like it.  Why do you think everyone was getting 1 year contracts?  The thought that DG was going to be able to use what carolina already had to win a superbowl was an illusion generated by us fans. 

1 year contracts were a league wide phenomenon. I'm not saying a lot of things aren't going to change after this year or that even Gettleman set this up just in case. But these 1 year deals were happening everywhere around the league and a lot.

Archived