• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If we have any interest in Nicks...

CatMan72

what the hell is your problem?  why are you so mad at life?  and why is it you can only make your weak arguments by taking other peoples words to the far extreme?  iv'e pointed out in other threads problems from wr's, olinemen, rb's and yes, our own untouchable QB.

You typed up a silly statement, and I offered my opinion of it. If you want to take things personal, that's up to you.

But it's valid to ask why you'd give up a draft pick for him when you can likely get him without giving up anything next offseason?

Are his potential contributions this season worth what the Giants might want in return?

True, you could get him in the offseason without giving up any picks - but then you're bidding for his services on the open market. If you trade for him now, you have a big head start on working out a deal with him and in the meantime you get him all settled in and used to the comforts of working in his hometown.

Another benefit of acquiring him now is that it gives you an opportunity to get a feel for him and how he fits before you write a big check. 

In our situation, I think his potential contributions could be season altering. How many drops did we have in the Cardinals game? 

So far this season Olsen and Smitty are tied for the 11th most dropped passes in the league and if LaFell was targeted as frequently I'm sure he'd be right up there with them. At this point a sure-handed WR would do wonders for our offensive production. It's not the only problem we have, but it's one of the more glaring problems. 

I love Smitty, we all do... but he's at an age where one morning he'll wake up and he won't have it anymore. We need to develop a real sense of urgency about addressing this position and the stars seemed to have aligned for us to acquire Nicks. I personally think it's time for a bold move.  

True, you could get him in the offseason without giving up any picks - but then you're bidding for his services on the open market. If you trade for him now, you have a big head start on working out a deal with him and in the meantime you get him all settled in and used to the comforts of working in his hometown.

Another benefit of acquiring him now is that it gives you an opportunity to get a feel for him and how he fits before you write a big check.

In our situation, I think his potential contributions could be season altering. How many drops did we have in the Cardinals game?

So far this season Olsen and Smitty are tied for the 11th most dropped passes in the league and if LaFell was targeted as frequently I'm sure he'd be right up there with them. At this point a sure-handed WR would do wonders for our offensive production. It's not the only problem we have, but it's one of the more glaring problems.

I love Smitty, we all do... but he's at an age where one morning he'll wake up and he won't have it anymore. We need to develop a real sense of urgency about addressing this position and the stars seemed to have aligned for us to acquire Nicks. I personally think it's time for a bold move.

How high a pick are you thinking he's worth?

(full disclosure: you'd have a tough time talking me into anything in the first three rounds at this point)

If the Giants were willing to give a discount price to an old friend, what do you think it would be?

I think the minimum they take is a 4th most likely want a third since they will almost certainly get a 3rd round comp pick if they just let him walk.

As for what we should give up for him.... I think a third is reasonable if he agrees to a contract extension as part of the deal. A deal in the 40-50 million dollar range with lots of performance bonuses etc. to protect the team in case of injuries.

How high a pick are you thinking he's worth?

(full disclosure: you'd have a tough time talking me into anything in the first three rounds at this point)

If the Giants were willing to give a discount price to an old friend, what do you think it would be?

For a 25 year old receiver who has averaged 15 yards per catch and scored 25 TD's with a total of 3,424 receiving yards in his 4+ year career I would happily give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick and a later round pick if necessary. 

it would make the most sense to do it this year IF we were in position to make a run.  While not technically eliminated(far from it), we would need an offensive jolt like this to come anywhere close to making that run this year.  

Guest KingKam

So much daydreaming in this forum. Why are we talking about a topic that's not even being debated. Just a bunch of wishful thinking topic. Ever think maybe being that he's already in NY that he might just go to the Jets which are about 40 mil under the cap and probably already a playoffs team. Just a thought.

So much daydreaming in this forum. Why are we talking about a topic that's not even being debated. Just a bunch of wishful thinking topic. Ever think maybe being that he's already in NY that he might just go to the Jets which are about 40 mil under the cap and probably already a playoffs team. Just a thought.

if speculation ceased to exist, so would the purpose of this forum.  just saying

Archived