• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Has Stewart killed our running game?

Pantherman

Misleading.

Williams has gotten more carries and opportunities to break free. Consider this, had D-Will been stopped by 49er defenders in that 27 yard run his YPC would have been in the 2.7-2.9 region.

Nope.

Usually the more running backs carry, their YPC takes a dip. For DWill to get 4+ YPC on his carries, is really good. It's really good for any RB.

If the person I quoted was actually stating facts, Stewart and Tolbert would have a higher YPC due to less carries since they "consistently get 4 yards a carry".

Chris Scott getting hurt killed our running game...stewart is just fine but we need to pick a back and just go with him. we sub way way too much

^ This

Chris Scott is a big body, and him being out hurt our run game a great deal, but at the same time, it's helped our pass pro with Chandler in instead of him. 

Combination of opposing defenses stacking the box and our o-line being beyond depleted. We're gonna have to lean on Cam again unfortunately.

It seem like at certain points our RBs will break off one solid one. I like to see more creative runs. That D.Will TD, that pitch to Tolbert where the San Fran guy got injured. Running just conventional running plays like we still have the same oline isn't working

I actually like Deangelo, I just wish he'd keep his legs moving and break a few tackles here and there. I've seen him just drop a few times this year instead of fighting for the extra yard or two.

That pass on the last drive against the Pats where he spinned off that defender and jumped forward for a few extra yards was nice. I want to see that DWill more often.

agreed IMO i think he does that to avoid fumbling which is smart,we have stewart and tolbert to get those tough yards

Ummm, yep.

More carries = more opportunities. No way to shake it. D-Will has gotten majority of the snaps regardless and has broken a few tackles outside for big gains. For the most part, D-Will has been averaging LESS than two yards inbetween the tackles. Tolbert and Stewart, on the other hand, have been averaging three yards.

You would think that if you didn't understand how YPC works.

I've studied YPC of current and past RBs in the NFL and there's a pattern. Most of the time more carries means the YPC takes a dip.

The reason is because it includes hits behind the line of scrimmage and not just long runs. Over time, the short or negative yardage runs even out the long positive yardage runs.

This is why those RBs that have a high amount of carries and a high YPC are considered great.

Look at Arian Foster for example. His highest amount of carries was last year and his YPC was 4.1. The year before it was 4.4 on almost 70 less carries. This year its 4.5 on about 220 less carries

Bingo. Exactly my line of thinking. Our running game is too predictable. We need to modify our approach in order to give our backs a better chance.

Last year is was unpredictable but ended up with lots of carries with a loss of yards.  I think there is about zero chance they go back to that running scheme considering they aren't getting the huge losses this year.  It is a much more conservative approach this year but they are getting positive yards.

Last year is was unpredictable but ended up with lots of carries with a loss of yards.  I think there is about zero chance they go back to that running scheme considering they aren't getting the huge losses this year.  It is a much more conservative approach this year but they are getting positive yards.

But right now with the loss of guys, when need to do something other than conventional. The delays, the pulling of guards, the pitches(statisically considered throws by Cam) runs I've seen over the past 3 something weeks have worked while others is getting stuffed

Archived