• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tenn. DUI checkpoint video

Hotsauce

And to me that's the ultimate litmus test for all of these videos.

You have irrefutable evidence of all of this "abuse of power" and "illegal detainment" yet no lawsuits...

If these "freedom fighters" with their video cameras had anything more that half cooked and ill informed accusations then someone would be pushing it in court and owning some local PD's budget for the next decade.

Do you think that the officer was reprimanded?

I don't know, but maybe he won't try in infringe on citizens rights any longer.

If so, that's a good thing.

The point of the video is if you don't act like a turd and comply with law enforcement, then you don't get your car hood scratched up. Doing crap like this is the libertarian equivalent of "Look! I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you!"

There's knowing your rights, and acting like a prick ostensibly in defense of American liberties. The cops are trying to stop the bad guys, so if you're not a bad guy, then you have nothing to worry about. Answer their questions, act congenial, and go on your way. It's as simple as that. If you're really worried about your car being searched, it's probably because you've got something illegal in it.

These personal freedom laws are in place to protect you from a truly corrupt police force, not to entitle you to act like a complete douche at a drunk driving check point on a day when large groups of people are known to drink to excess. This guy should be thanking his lucky stars and stripes that he lives in a land as free as America where cops just search your car because you're being intentionally untoward to the point of being suspicious, and then let you go.

This guy should spend a few days in Russia. Pull this stunt on a cop named Yuri and see what a police force is like under Putin. My girlfriend is from Moscow, and they don't even call the cops there, because if you don't have enough to bribe them, they not only won't help, but they will frame and arrest you, probably after beating the crap out of you.

Thank you, you squeaky voiced champion of civil liberties for reminding us that we've got such an amazing country.

The point of the video is if you don't act like a turd and comply with law enforcement, then you don't get your car hood scratched up. Doing crap like this is the libertarian equivalent of "Look! I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you!"

There's knowing your rights, and acting like a prick ostensibly in defense of American liberties. The cops are trying to stop the bad guys, so if you're not a bad guy, then you have nothing to worry about. Answer their questions, act congenial, and go on your way. It's as simple as that. If you're really worried about your car being searched, it's probably because you've got something illegal in it.

These personal freedom laws are in place to protect you from a truly corrupt police force, not to entitle you to act like a complete douche at a drunk driving check point on a day when large groups of people are known to drink to excess. This guy should be thanking his lucky stars and stripes that he lives in a land as free as America where cops just search your car because you're being intentionally untoward to the point of being suspicious, and then let you go.

This guy should spend a few days in Russia. Pull this stunt on a cop named Yuri and see what a police force is like under Putin. My girlfriend is from Moscow, and they don't even call the cops there, because if you don't have enough to bribe them, they not only won't help, but they will frame and arrest you, probably after beating the crap out of you.

Thank you, you squeaky voiced champion of civil liberties for reminding us that we've got such an amazing country.

The point, and I agree with it, is that we have certain freedoms in this country, that not many other nations are willing to grant, and we should continue to make sure that they are there for our children and theirs.

The police officer was in the wrong, the driver was in the right, that is the end of the story.

Do you think that those civil liberties, as you put them, would stay that way if no one speaks up, or takes a stand here and there?

The point, and I agree with it, is that we have certain freedoms in this country, that not many other nations are willing to grant, and we should continue to make sure that they are there for our children and theirs.

The police officer was in the wrong, the driver was in the right, that is the end of the story.

Do you think that those civil liberties, as you put them, would stay that way if no one speaks up, or takes a stand here and there?

Yes! Yes I friggin' do! You're exercising the same logic that says that one can't have a moral compass without religion. You think in a vacuum, the US government would tend to rob us of our rights and end us up in some Orwellian nightmare. And I disagree with both premises.

Yes, the United States can absolutely, and will absolutely maintain the freedoms and principles this country was founded on without people being dicks about it.

It's funny that the same people that complain about a nanny state are the same ones who do stunts like this to remind us of our liberties for our benefit. That if it wasn't for them protecting us, we'd be so naïve that we would be susceptible to having the wool pulled over our eyes by some increasingly insidious police force, and our rights are stripped away in some incomprehensibly slow "boiling the frog" type scenario.

There is acting within your rights, and being a total jackass about it. I'm willing to have the cop bend me over a barrel and strip me of my right to keep my window rolled up, if it means that the process of a DUI check point goes smoothly for both of us, but I'm fairly certain I could recognize when the rights that really matter are being infringed upon.

There's knowing your rights, and acting like a prick ostensibly in defense of American liberties. The cops are trying to stop the bad guys, so if you're not a bad guy, then you have nothing to worry about. Answer their questions, act congenial, and go on your way. It's as simple as that. If you're really worried about your car being searched, it's probably because you've got something illegal in it.

This guy should spend a few days in Russia. Pull this stunt on a cop named Yuri and see what a police force is like under Putin. My girlfriend is from Moscow, and they don't even call the cops there, because if you don't have enough to bribe them, they not only won't help, but they will frame and arrest you, probably after beating the crap out of you.

Thank you, you squeaky voiced champion of civil liberties for reminding us that we've got such an amazing country.

Hahahaha yeah, go to Russia. What a turd.

Yes! Yes I friggin' do! You're exercising the same logic that says that one can't have a moral compass without religion. You think in a vacuum, the US government would tend to rob us of our rights and end us up in some Orwellian nightmare. And I disagree with both premises.

Yes, the United States can absolutely, and will absolutely maintain the freedoms and principles this country was founded on without people being dicks about it.

It's funny that the same people that complain about a nanny state are the same ones who do stunts like this to remind us of our liberties for our benefit. That if it wasn't for them protecting us, we'd be so naïve that we would be susceptible to having the wool pulled over our eyes by some increasingly insidious police force, and our rights are stripped away in some incomprehensibly slow "boiling the frog" type scenario.

There is acting within your rights, and being a total jackass about it. I'm willing to have the cop bend me over a barrel and strip me of my right to keep my window rolled up, if it means that the process of a DUI check point goes smoothly for both of us, but I'm fairly certain I could recognize when the rights that really matter are being infringed upon.

The only person in that video being a jackass was the police officer, who was trying to use intimidation to make a law abiding citizen do his billing.

The kid, and you, have rights, and if you decide to forego your right to not answer specific questions, or turn over documents to officials that you don't have to, I'm sure the cops will be more than happy to help you.

I wonder if the "stop and frisk" policy that NYC had/has in place is an infringement on rights?

The only person in that video being a jackass was the police officer

I whole-heartedly disagree with that sentiment. The cop being intimidating notwithstanding, the kid is an absolute dick. He knew exactly what he was doing. That's why the kid had the video running. He meant to provoke. He meant to aggravate. He meant to be as difficult as possible while still under the protection of law.

And that's my point, one can be within their rights, and still be accommodating. If you flatly refuse to accommodate just to make some convoluted point, you are being a dick. Period.

Legally, I could do any number of things to annoy, antagonize and provoke people that would illicit unpleasant reactions. Things that are all under the protection of law, and I am perfectly in my rights to do. I would still be a total jackass for doing them. Just because he's doing them to a cop, he's some sort of hero. No, he's just a dick.

I whole-heartedly disagree with that sentiment. The cop being intimidating notwithstanding, the kid is an absolute dick. He knew exactly what he was doing. That's why the kid had the video running. He meant to provoke. He meant to aggravate. He meant to be as difficult as possible while still under the protection of law.

And that's my point, one can be within their rights, and still be accommodating. If you flatly refuse to accommodate just to make some convoluted point, you are being a dick. Period.

Legally, I could do any number of things to annoy, antagonize and provoke people that would illicit unpleasant reactions. Things that are all under the protection of law, and I am perfectly in my rights to do. I would still be a total jackass for doing them. Just because he's doing them to a cop, he's some sort of hero. No, he's just a dick.

so what did he do to be difficult? Aggravating?

Was it keeping his hands in view? Being respectful? Getting out of the lane when he was asked?

What did he do to flatly refuse to accomodate?

Did you watch the video? Or are you another LEO who looks like a hard boiled egg with a mustache and therefore, cannot be wrong?

so what did he do to be difficult? Aggravating?

Was it keeping his hands in view? Being respectful? Getting out of the lane when he was asked?

What did he do to flatly refuse to accomodate?

Did you watch the video? Or are you another LEO who looks like a hard boiled egg with a mustache and therefore, cannot be wrong?

"Roll down your window"

"No."

That's not exactly being accommodating.

And I'm not a LEO, I'm a cancer.

Archived