• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

When Office Politics Goes Wrong.

332nd

Ok, this is an insanely long story so I'm just gonna sum up...

My wife was teaching at a college on a tenure track. Basically she had a contract that allowed both parties to cut & run with no consequence at the end of each year, barring certain clauses.

The guy who wanted to take over as chair of her Dept. directed a show & she was costume designer for it. (Note: He's the hack who can't even find a job in summer stock but thinks he should be on Broadway/in Hollywood. He makes up for lack of talent by schmoozing rich patrons.)

This guy totally screws the pooch (I'll leave it at that since its boring actor stuff) & throws everyone else (6 people including my wife) under the bus to keep his dream of being chair.

Well he gets chair, & all 6 announce they will start seeking employment elsewhere. He gets mad & decides to fire all of them before they can turn in letters of resignation. He does this by claiming they are incompetent, yadda, yadda...

They protest, & are offered mediation. (Unusual, but they defend their work/names) & they win. He gets all snarky & says it was just so they know he really won & was able to make them jump through hoops because he... is the muthafuggin chair.

Turns out the moron activated a clause in the contracts that made year to year go to 4 years & since the mediator favored them, instead of the final 3 months pay, they get 2-3 years pay depending on when they were hired.

Upside is I've been after my wife to start her own business while I taught. Now she has the capital to do so.

Ok, this is an insanely long story so I'm just gonna sum up...

My wife was teaching at a college on a tenure track. Basically she had a contract that allowed both parties to cut & run with no consequence at the end of each year, barring certain clauses.

The guy who wanted to take over as chair of her Dept. directed a show & she was costume designer for it. (Note: He's the hack who can't even find a job in summer stock but thinks he should be on Broadway/in Hollywood. He makes up for lack of talent by schmoozing rich patrons.)

This guy totally screws the pooch (I'll leave it at that since its boring actor stuff) & throws everyone else (6 people including my wife) under the bus to keep his dream of being chair.

Well he gets chair, & all 6 announce they will start seeking employment elsewhere. He gets mad & decides to fire all of them before they can turn in letters of resignation. He does this by claiming they are incompetent, yadda, yadda...

They protest, & are offered mediation. (Unusual, but they defend their work/names) & they win. He gets all snarky & says it was just so they know he really won & was able to make them jump through hoops because he... is the muthafuggin chair.

Turns out the moron activated a clause in the contracts that made year to year go to 4 years & since the mediator favored them, instead of the final 3 months pay, they get 2-3 years pay depending on when they were hired.

Upside is I've been after my wife to start her own business while I taught. Now she has the capital to do so.

haha...why do I get a feeling that this was all according to plan. Now all 6 of the "fired" teachers just need to hide the cash payment to the "chair". 

yes, I'm a cynic. 

Sounds like the people who make terrible arguments on the huddle.

-logical fallacies

-Response going point by point about how the poster is completely wrong

-"Lol haha I just did that so you would take the time to prove me wrong lol I'm a genius in control I love it when a plan comes together lol" post

Archived