• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

MLS/NFL draft

Hmm to start things off none of the linemen on either side of the ball would make the squad... Unless they dropped significant weight and somehow developed some serious speed in the process.

I'd probably put Olsen in goal because of his height and hands and Luke would be our center back. Cam would be the lone striker up top and just abuse teams with his head on set pieces and his strength in the box would be useful as would his ability to run down balls in the open field with his massive strides. I'd bring in KB off the bench as a forward as well when needing an equalizer. Imagine having to defend Cam and KB in the box on corners?

I think DeAngelo would make a decent Center Midfielder along with someone like Godfrey... Strong and fast but also a smart player that can be selfless. Put J Stew in the back with Luke along with TD and Melvin White and we'd have the most physical and athletic backs around.

Outside midfielders I'm struggling with the most because we really don't have anyone with blazing speed except for maybe Underwood. On the opposite side maybe King? Key substitutes would be Cotchery, Brandon Williams, some of our corners.

If you want to make this thread based soley on physical size and speed, ok. But I would choose kickers over most of the guys in the league If I had to play a game of Soccer. It takes a lot of skill and tactical knowledge. You can't just throw an athlete out there and see what happens.

Even if you want to say every NFL player started playing Soccer at age 7. Some of them still wouldn't have the traits to become great players.

But in a purely body type fantasy scenario. Steve Smith would have made a world class winger. Not just for his speed, but his quick feet, coordination, body control, and stop/start ability.

Thomas Davis would make a great center back in my opinion. Luke maybe a defensive midfielder. Those are the only two that stand out to me. The thing about Soccer is you can't be running around with all those muscles. They will weigh you down. You need to be lean and fit for long distances. Not twitch speed with 30 second breaks.

My friend and I did something similar to this a couple weeks back when talking about how good USA would be if all our top athletes chose soccer.  I forget the whole thing but we had Cam at striker, Lebron in goal, Mike Trout as our 10 and Durant and McCutchen on the wings

Well Durant would certainly be the first 6 foot 9 winger in the history of soccer. I just had a funny thought....Muggsy Bogues would have been small on a soccer field. And he played pro basketball in one of the most exciting eras.

Now Stephen Curry is a guy I could see playing in the midfield. Maybe even a number 10. I always thought Lebron would be a bigger Tim Howard. Kobe could play striker.

He's a bit older but the one guy that could have been a GOAT in Soccer is Jerry Rice. Assuming he practiced Soccer the way he did Wide Receiver....

Sticking with your previous generation theme with Rice, can imagine what Ricky Henderson could have done if soccer had been his sport.  He and Rice would have been a nightmare pairing.

Thinking of Ricky reminded of a present day guy.  Would love having Billy Hamilton on the bench and bringing him on in the final minutes.  The way he would run past guys would be hilarious.

Sticking with your previous generation theme with Rice, can imagine what Ricky Henderson could have done if soccer had been his sport.  He and Rice would have been a nightmare pairing.

Thinking of Ricky reminded of a present day guy.  Would love having Billy Hamilton on the bench and bringing him on in the final minutes.  The way he would run past guys would be hilarious.

When you think of this, is your reaction something like this?

WUnRaAv.gif

Archived